“Worth the Return Visit”

Ranked #29 of 473 Restaurants in Bophut
Price range: US$26 - US$39
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Zazen Restaurant Samui is the Thai food lovers dream, the international food lovers reawakening. The atmosphere at Zazen Restaurant is one of romance, sophistication and intimacy. At night, the trendy restaurant glows with the light of over one hundred candles. Soft jazz mingles with the sound of gentle waves and guests enjoy the pleasures of fine dining, elegant service and the entertainment of traditional Thai dance in Samui. The restaurant is located on the beachfront at Bophut, with sweeping views of neighboring islands over the tranquil and gentle waters of the bay.
Reviewed 14 September 2017

As a frequent visitor to Koh Samui, I have several places listed that I always return to for a great eating out experience. Zazen is one of them and is a particular favourite fine dining restaurants of mine. I have never been disappointed, with food, service and especially their wine as this venue has a outstanding wine cellar that you can actually see in the reception area as the glass floor section is the cellars roof. I had the Lavender scent roasted rack of lamb and it was cooked to perfection followed by the best Tiramisu I have tasted. Thanks to Chef kuldip and his staff.

I was lucky to visit here on a Thursday and Sunday where we were entertained by traditional Thai music and dancers. On other nights there is great ambient chill out lounge music. This is also a great venue for sundowners too.

The staff here are friendly and efficient. A particular thank you to Bum and Aung who have always made me feel welcome and also to both Ferns, Tak and Camille. Ryad thanks for the wine recommendations , and barman Song.

Zazen_Team, Manager at Zazen Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2017

Dear Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to review on Tripadvisor your experience at Zazen Restaurant.

We are delighted to read that you had the best Tiramisu in your life and that the Lavender scent roasted rack of lamb you had was perfectly done in our restaurant!

We are delighted that you enjoyed our traditional thai dance show too, that we held every Thursday and Sunday from 8pm to 9pm.Thank you for the beautiful picture you have added as well.

Your feedback has been shared with Chef Kul and his staff, Bum and Aung both Ferns, Tak, Song and Camille and all the team This will keep them motivated and provide exceptional guest experience at Zazen Restaurant.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 7 September 2017

We enjoyed the meat and seafood tasting menu. Quality was good. I would recommend coming a bit earlier before sunset so that you can enjoy that ambience, once it gets dark there's not much of a water view then. We chose Thur to dine to enjoy the complimentary Thai show at 8pm. Dinner was ~200USD for 3 adults, 1 toddler which included tasting menu's, glasses of wine and an a la carte dish.

1  Thank Yvonne K
Zazen_Team, Manager at Zazen Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2017

Dear Yvonne,

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your evening and our food especially our seafood and Meat discovery menu.
Thank you for your recommendation on our traditional thai dance show that we held every Thursday and Sunday from 8pm to 9pm.
Again, thank you very much for your comment.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

I had the best red curry in my life here. The prawns were so well cooked and tender, just perfectly done. The massaman beef was also good, although the meat wasn't the most tender I'd had, but it was still good. The fish was also cooked nicely, as was the prawn cakes. The only thing I'd change is the use of some herbs that was similar to celery, used in their green mango and papaya salads. These were the least favourite from the dishes we had. Their desserts were also good though. Plus, at 8pm, you get to enjoy the local Thai dancers perform a traditional dance.

Dear valued guest,

First of all we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your feedback about your dining experience at Zazen on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to read that you had the best red curry in your life and that the prawns you had were perfectly done in our restaurant!
Thank you very much for sharing your comment on the meat from our Massaman beef dish and on the herbs we use on our papaya salad. Your feedbacks are gratefully received since it enables us to be attentive and sensitive to all the needs of our guests.
Indeed, every Thursday and Sunday from 8pm to 9pm, we have our Traditional Thai Dance Show and we are pleased that you enjoyed it.

Reviewed 5 September 2017

My husband and I stayed at Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa and booked in for dinner. I was very pleased with the menu and the choices, we opted for 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, a dessert and a bottle of wine. The wine list is good and offers a solid worldwide variety. The service at the restaurant is excellent. Unfortunately when it came to the food we were underwhelmed. Note: we did not order any Thai food and that may be better. We ordered the lobster bisque which was very good not as creamy as I am used to but still very good. The beef tartar had zero flavor which we found to be very odd. My husband enjoyed his entree it was the oxtail. I had the Phuket Lobster and I have to say the Lobster was cooked perfectly and was delicious on its own. The vegetables and the pasta that came on the side were however flavorless. We got the chocolate rolls for dessert and they were just ok. Over all we were a little disappointed with the food, but the views are beautiful and the service again was excellent. We were there on a
Wednesday so did not get to see the traditional Thai dance that they perform on Thursdays and Saturdays. I have heard that is excellent to watch.

Zazen_Team, Manager at Zazen Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

Dear valued Guest,

First of all we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your important and detailed feedback about your dining experience at Zazen on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to hear that our service was excellent and your feedback has been shared with the team to keep them motivated and provide exceptional guest experience at Zazen Restaurant.

However, we are sorry to hear that the taste of the dishes and the desserts did not meet your expectations. Thank you for your detailed and constructive feedback you provided as it will help us improve and adjust our food quality.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you again on a Thursday or Sunday to enjoy our Thai dance show and to give us another opportunity to make it right .

Again, thank you very much

Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

My husband took me here for my 40th birthday recently. It was absolutely phenomenal. The service was wonderful the food and the ambience was incredible. We had the Thai discovery menu. we had seafood one and the meat one and shared the food between us. Everything was just exquisite. The staff also made a fuss of me because it was my birthday and bought me a birthday cake! This is not a cheap place to come for dinner and you probably wouldn't be coming here multiple times on your holiday but it really is very special!

Zazen_Team, Manager at Zazen Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

Dear Elise ,

We are delighted to read that you appreciated our Thai discovery menu and that you had a great time in our incredible atmosphere with a wonderful service.
We love making you feel special at Zazen particularly on your birthday.
Again, happy birthday!!!
It will be a pleasure to welcome you again