“Delicious lunchtime menu”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 June 2017

Visited this restaurant today as staying nearby. Rang at 1pm to ask if we could book for lunch and they kindly accomodated our party of 6 at 1.30pm. We all ordered the €19.50 set menu and all found it delicious. 3 courses starting with an entree of goat's cheese tart with salad followed by veal and potatoes with a delicious gravy. Dessert was sorbet, a small coffee macaron and fruit salad. Couldn't fault the food and service.

Reviewed 12 May 2017

We did a five day cooking vacation centered around the food of the Dordogne arranged by the international kitchen. Yves was a wonderful guide and Pierre a wonderful chef . The food was incredible and learning to prepare the duck from beginning to end was a highlight. We would recommend the Auberge and the trip to anyone who loves good food and wine.

Reviewed 10 December 2016

I had been looking forward to dining here ever since our friends had suggested it, one look at the restaurant website and the imagery therein sold it to me completely and convinced me that it was going to be a special occasion.
On the day in question we left with a large degree of anticipation which grew as we got closer to Sorges, this I thought would certainly not be another Menu du Jour’ day as we would treat ourselves to something better! Luckily the Auberge is opposite what appeared to be a small open space and war memorial in front of which is some off-street and free parking so we pulled in there to find that we all had more or less arrived at the same time. Greetings over with, we crossed the road and entered the restaurant.
It is always a nice touch when the owner is on hand to meet you and shake your hand as you arrive which is what happened to us. His Maître D’ then showed us to our table in the front dining room and it was good to note that both he and his waiting staff wore the traditional black and white uniform rather than the more casual attire that is prevalent these days.
We perused the menus, as it happens the Auberge has 6 different set menus ranging in price from €14.50 to €66 together with a separate truffle themed menu at the princely sum of €115. In the event we all chose what they call ‘Les Plats du Terroir’ - the 3rd of their 6 menus and a real steal at only €26.50 – then made our selections. To me another sign of a classier type of restaurant is when the Chef sends out a ‘pre-starter’/ complimentary dish for his guests. Maybe this is what the menu meant by ’Mise en bouche du moment’ at its top, in any event the appetiser was a beautifully smooth beetroot based mousse type dish that was keenly devoured by all concerned. When someone commented that they didn’t like beetroot the waiter remove it from the table, disappeared and reappeared with something similar but which was pumpkin based.
I must confess I was not personally enamoured with the starter selection on the day in question as declining the vegetarian vegetable tart option left me with no choice other than Lentil Velouté. I was not overly looking forward to it, probably based on the reputation of Lentils themselves but as I have always said although your eyes do contribute to the culinary experience you don’t actually eat with them. When it arrived its presentation couldn’t be faulted and to my great surprise it tasted really nice, so much so that I was actually disappointed when I had finished my bowl!
Then there was more divergence with the main course. The majority of our party chose a chicken casserole (despite it being a very warm day for November) which was served in its own/individual Pyrex dish, I remarked that I had never seen so many matching sets in one place. Nevertheless I had been eagerly awaiting my Fishermans Plate – Assiette du Pecheur, it was full of chunky pieces of fish, and accompanied by carrot and sweet potato, moreover it was highly flavoursome and in my opinion ‘to die for’. During all of this I have to put a shout out for the House Wine which was extremely palatable and slid down very easily with the food in question.
Readers of my reviews will by now know that I am a most definitely a ‘pudding man’. Even so selection of the dessert course was extremely difficult and divided opinion. The Trilogy of apples initially looked promising but, living in Apple Country (on La route de la Pomme du Limousin no less) it would have been a safe choice, but to be honest I was personally fed up with apple based puddings by now. Another contender was the Moelleux au Chocolat, which one of my more learned friends advised was a chocolate fondant awaiting receipt of ones spoon or fork to ooze out with warm molten chocolate from the inside, but I definitely prefer my chocolate in chunks or occasionally in sauce form rather than in sponge/cheesecake type format which left me with the selection of a Soufflé with nuts and ice cream. I was looking forward to seeing how the Chef coped with producing a number of Soufflés simultaneously. It obviously wasn’t a problem but there was a real surprise here in that when it arrived it was cold – not just mine, so were all the others, what a great ‘twist in the tail’ this was. It was adorned with chocolate sauce and nuts and eating it was a sheer delight. I have to say that the presentation of all the desserts lived up to the standards set with the earlier courses.
We concluded the occasion with Tea and Coffee as is tradition and only then did we realise that 3 hours had effortlessly passed with good food, good conversation and efficient and discrete service. On the way out I wondered whether my system could stand a weekend here as the Auberge, true to its heritage, has rooms available for guests and offers weekend breaks as well as accommodation during the week. That however will be a question for another day but before then we will certainly return as the wonders within are too good not to try again.

Reviewed 15 November 2016

This was our second time at the restaurant, and it didn't disappoint. The food was excellent and the staff first rate. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone, there's also good parking at the back.

Reviewed 18 October 2016

Although there are new proprietors now, we had a lovely evening with good food, good embrace and lovely wine arrangement.