“People shouldn't expect 5*”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Xemxija
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

I have stayed here for 5 nights and tbh people are giving the bad reviews are just expecting 5* treatment. Staff more than helpful rooms clean and tidy cleaned everyday. If you are looking for somewhere quite secluded then this is ideal tbf we caught buses although summertimes are busy, the breakfast wasn't the best but it's a budget hotel people are expecting a lot more. The pool does get extremely busy with people pAying to use it but then there are lots of hotels in Malta that also offer this.. please if your not wanting to be in all the nightlife places and relaxing holiday don't let bad reviews turn your head!!

1  Thank harleyo18

Reviewed 13 August 2017

Just home from a very relaxing week in Malta. My friend and I booked this hotel as it was cheap not expecting too much after reading previous reviews on here. Firstly it's most definitely in a prime location the view from the hotel is spectacular. The hotel itself is a 3* so don't go expecting 5 the room had everything we needed and was way better than expected. It really would have benefited from a kettle tho. The restaurant trattoria del mare are run independently from the hotel, pool opens at 9 and closes at 6, but was lovely and clean with plenty of beds. The restaurant we had breakfast x2 was not the best I've ever had but was sufficient the evening meals were lovely tho, and we found the husband and wife team and staff very friendly. Not much in the village at all a few restaurant s and a couple of shops, but 10 mins on the bus and you're at bugiba 10 mins the other way and you're at melliha both much more lively and cheaper for dining etc. Loads to do in Malta and the hotel is ideally situated to give you the best of both worlds :-)

Stayed: August 2017
1  Thank Honour P
Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

Good view and nice pool... that's it. 38 ° there is not a mini bar to have some fresh water, the price for the Wifi is 1,50euro/20minites, the electric sockets do not meet the other european standards so you must find one (and surprise, you can BUY it at the reception). I did not find it extremely clean.

1  Thank Simone S
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

I'm not usually bothered where I stay as I don't stay in hotel all day but this hotel although is in a beautiful setting is a let down! Birds nest in air con on balcony,got bitten by bed bugs,bed linen was like a curtain,pillows were made with chunks of sponge and was unable to sleep! Arguments amount couples in hotel with no interference from management.the breakfast was the worst thing I've ever seen!Lettice,cucumber,cheese and ham! The breakfast room was invaded with flies and it was impossible to eat in there.the pool was used by couples not from hotel that thought it ok to act as if it was a hot tub!Unhelpful staff that gave no info to the services around and you had to pay for wifi that never worked at times! If it wasn't for the location of hotel it would have been a disaster! Seriously think before booking this hotel as although it's cheap it really is worth paying more to get better services!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Katehamil
Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for a week and booked a sea view room self catering. The receptionist on arrival informed us that there was an error from our tour operator travel republic and in fact no rooms are self catering. I contacted Travel republic after checking in and they upgraded us to half board.

Hotel:

Basic rooms which are cleaned daily and towels replaced each day. The reception staff are friendly and very helpful. The hotel it's self is a 3 star so do not expect 5 star standards but for the price it cost to stay here for the week I couldn't complain. I found the beds comfortable enough and the air conditioning was brilliant much needed when the weather was 40c during the day and 30c at night. It took us 20 minutes to get from the airport and we booked a private transfer through Hoppa. We stayed in room 205 and I would recommend any of the rooms that overlook the pool and full sea view.

Pool area and restaurant:

The bottom floor of the hotel including the pool and restaurant is rented out by the owners of the restaurant trattoria mare. This does bring some problems because on a weekend the Maltese people pay to enter the pool area for €20 per adult and €10 per child. Due to this they get priority over sun beds and the pool so it would be wise on a weekend to get down to the beach or use this day to sightsee as you may be asked to move from the sunbeds. There are lots of sunbeds and umbrellas and the only day we struggled was the weekend due to the locals using the pool. The half board offer at the restaurant gives you breakfast which wasn't the best so we ate toast and had coffee each day. The evening meal consists of having a choice between two different starters and two mains an example would be a potato soup or fish soup to start, chicken breast, chips and salad or fish pie. You get a desert which is the same each day cake and ice cream. We didn't find the food great and I believe the chef isn't actually a chef which does add with the poor quality food. We only ate there twice and tended to go into bugibba for food as the quality is much better. Use trip advisor and book tables as the best restaurants are always full up.

Location:

First off the location over looks an amazing bay of St Paul's and this is the best thing about this hotel but The overall location isn't the best and the nearest shop is a good 10 minute walk away up hill and the bus stop a good 10 minute walk up hill so very challenging in the heat. Malta itself is a very hilly country so not many places are flat so bear this in mind if booking. If I stayed here again I would almost certainly book a car for the time I'm here as the hill walks took it out of me and my wife due to the intense temperatures. You can catch the bus which costs €2 per person and this is valid for two hours of travel. You can catch the 221 to bugibba which is a great place in the evening full of bars and restaurants. If you wanted to visit mellieha you can catch the 42,49,221,X1 which will take you to the centre of mellieha or stay on and it will drop you off at the beach. Bear in mind that if you are waiting for the bus expect some buses to be full and you may not get on. We didn't visit the capital Valletta but again I believe this is 45-60 minutes away on the bus again only costing €2 per person.

Overall I would suggest if you're on a budget and not interested in sitting in your room all day then book here. If you don't mind paying a few hundred more then book to stay in St Paul's Bay or Mellieha. The transport system in Malta is one of the best I've known it's cheap and you can pretty much go anywhere in the island. The hotel could be so much better if they just changed a few minor things one suggestion would be to have a shop within the hotel and a bar around the pool area which sold snacks which you could eat around the pool rather than sitting in a restaurant with no air conditioning. I hope this provides those unsure whether to book a true honest reflection of the hotel.

2  Thank steveuk22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xemxija
2.1 km away
2.3 km away
Relax Inn Hotel
Relax Inn Hotel
#5 of 13 in Bugibba

Been to Ambassador Hotel? Share your experiences!