“Excellent food, but perhaps better suited for families”
Review of By The Sea

By The Sea
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Cape Panwa
Reviewed 28 June 2011

The food is fantastic, as are the cocktails. Literally right next to the beach. I stayed on the 2nd floor and was very happy with that (close to the beach and pool, but not "at" the pool on the ground floor). Scooters can be rented from the Novotel next door - at a cost of 350bht/day, which is ludicrous. There are also no spas/massages/shops around so if peace & quiet is what you're after, this is the place.

A highlight was the Bar on the Beach, a local haunt only 50m or so to the immediate left when walking out onto the beach. Very cheap beer, and the food seemed quite good too.

All round, a very decent place, but it was a bit too quiet for me. I would stay here again though.

Room Tip: Try the 2nd floor
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
7  Thank ju8ular
There are newer reviews for By The Sea

Reviewed 17 June 2011

Wonderful location Cape Panwa with beautiful views over Chalong Bay from each room. The rooms are large each with its own kitchen etc. Two bedroom units are available for families travelling with children.
Manager Jack and his staff made us feel very welcome from the time we arrived. Cleaning and Restaurant staff provided excellent service and always provided a special smile. The property is well maintained and was always very clean. The quality of the food at the restaurant is very good, with good portions at a reasonable price. Pool facilities are right by the beach and are of a very good standard.
Unless you are reasonably mobile the steps leading down to the pool, beach and restaurant will create problems however the hotel does provide golf cart type transport down the hill to these facilities.
The hotel is in a very quiet location some 12klm from Phuket City. The hotel does however provide a twice daily shuttle service to Central shopping centre. Unless you want a very quiet holiday it is better to hire scooters, which we did, or arrange a hire car.
We stayed for 3 weeks and overall were very satisfied with our stay at By the Sea.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ALAN123064
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I always relied on photos of tripadvisor.com when i select hotel, I was hesitated by its 5 out of 7 ranking. Sure I would be very regret if I did not book By the Sea.
We were travelled in a group of 8 and we all very satisified, hotel is very new and cleaned, rooms are big (smallest is 56m2) all with cooking facilities, breakfast is adequate. I recommend boiled rice, we all had at least 1 bowl every morning.
There are free shuttle bus to major shopping centre 2 times a day (10am and 2pm), should use this service.

Room Tip: Choose either Bedroom/Living Rm facing the sea.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank PrincessCaramel
Reviewed 30 April 2011

I would like to thank for my up gradation to deluxe room. Really nice suit, with 2 bed rooms, sitting room, kitchen, and wonderful balcony. From the balcony you can see the nice greenish-blue sea and the beach. I liked a lot the hotel, although the look-wise the hotel is not nice. It's a rather small hotel, without any nice architecture or decoration. But location wonderful. So, it's your choice what do you want.

I had a small problem over there. The reception girls are not able t speak or understand English properly. So, I was about to miss my flight, as she didn't understand I asked for a cab. But they will always say "OK", without even realizing what you are asking for. So, always double check. To the hotel manager I would request to look in to this matter.

Food is OK here, and a bit expensive. There is nothing near by in around 3 kms, so, you are bound to take food from the hotel. Although there is one more hotel, just beside this, so you can try over there too.

The beach is so beautiful when high tide. That's the amazing place which force me to recommend for this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RitayanRoy
ByTheSeaPhuket, Assistant Operation Manager at By The Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2011

Dear Valued guests, Thank you very much for your comments and your recent stay with us. Your comments are very useful and were brought to The Management meeting in order to improve our service. We hope to welcoming you back to By The Sea in the near future.

Best Regards,
The Management
By The Sea

Reviewed 19 April 2011

The hotel is some way from the airport (+-45mins) and even from Phuket City (+-25mins). It's also on the other side of the island from the main beaches of Kata, Karon and Patong (not that these are the best beaches).

The hotel is clean, neat and the service adequate. We stayed in a family suite which has 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a lounge and kitchen. It was more than enough for our stay.

The hotel is on a steep slope to the beach which is not at all suitable for swimming with rocks. There is a large pool which allows one to cool down but the beach is really only for walking and sun bathing.

Breakfast was good and we ate dinner one night which was tasty and fair value.

My review and comments may not be overly complimentary, but it I could summarise, it was very average, comfortable, clean, quite fair out of the way and really nothing special, nothing wrong, but nothing memorable - think one could do better for your money.

Room Tip: Do not choose a room next to the pool.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2.3 km away
Crowne Plaza Phuket Panwa Beach
2.2 km away
Pullman Phuket Panwa Beach Resort

Been to By The Sea? Share your experiences!