“Great coffee and food”
Review of Sea Kale

Sea Kale
Price range: US$6 - US$15
Description: Sea Kale is situated in the heart of St Leonards on Sea, a short stroll up from the tranquil beachfront. Bringing fun and colourful seasonal dishes, using locally sourced produce. Fantastic Fair-trade coffee and awarding winning Teas. Local artists exhibit inside this relaxing, quirky and cozy cafe on London Road.
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Small but varied inventive menu catering for all needs. Friendly and welcoming staff. Good coffee, quality ingredients well cooked at a fair price

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Popped into Sea Kale after running Park run on the seafront on Saturday morning and I was starving!
The menu looked appealing and they actually opened slightly early welcoming us in from the cold.
We got our orders in and I had the Avocado and poached egg on toast and it was just what I needed after a good run. They also give you a little fennel biscuit when you get a hot drink that was so good! The food was so fresh and healthy and it made a great change to your standard greasy breakfast.
Our visit was made better by a humorous video message received by a member of staff that was hilarious, although I'm sure it embarrassed her. We had a really good laugh with the staff and we left nicely full.
A great addition to an ever improving St.Leonards area and one I am looking forward to visiting again soon.

1  Thank Danfirth87
Reviewed 4 February 2018

The shock is that the chicken here tastes like chicken! I had almost forgotten what that was.

This most welcome new addition to the increasingly good foodie choices in St Leonards is a cosy, quirky cafe/ restaurant. Owners Matt(also the chef), Emma and staff are delightful, friendly and can't do enough for you.

The menu is imaginative and not run of the mill with extremely reasonable prices, well, lower than reasonable. There are regular items such as breakfasts £5 - £6.50. There are soups, broths and stews. These are around £5.50/£6.50. Ingredients are healthy, seasonal and locally sourced where possible. They include foods I have never heard of such as faro and freekah grains so eating here is an adventure too. I had mutton with leeks and said freekah grains and the flavours were wonderful and deep. They also do some pasta. Shellfish linguine (£8) was on the menu but had run out as Sea Kale is already busy and popular. A customer was distraught as he had come in especially for it but increasingly you have to be the early bird here.

There are savoury and fruit scones which are delicious and I have succumbed to the latter every time so far. Homemade, they are about the best I have had anywhere, served warm with amazing preserves, which Matt makes, and clotted cream.

The couple are brimming with ideas and have started a take away meal on Fridays, bookable by Thursday morning latest. It is £20 for two and I think that is for one or two courses (you would need to check), and a third course for £5. Lovely menus.They are starting a monthly supper club.

This Is a terrific place but perhaps,on reflection, I shouldn't recommend It so highly. There may not be room for me!!

2  Thank 1ec
Reviewed 3 February 2018

Another outstanding small independent addition to the restaurant scene in St. Leonards. Small warm and cozy on a cold day, with attractive mismatched chairs and charming well-informed staff. The menu is small but truly home made and featuring meat from the local butcher. I had mutton stew which was outstanding and very reasonably priced. One of the other diners was equally impressed with his breakfast. Well done guys! I will be back.

Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

The best coffee in St Leonards! Dropped in just for coffee then the next day for brunch which was delicious! The broth was the perfect winter warmer as was the chickpea stew. A cut above all the rest for brunch options in the area! Very reasonably priced aswell!

1  Thank BritExpat15