“Nice hotel on the beach with good service”

Thien Hai Son Resort
Ranked #30 of 47 Hotels in Duong Dong
Reviewed 28 December 2015

We looked online a bunch for a hotel on the beach with a pool during the Christmas holiday. I think we choose wisely in picking a sea view hotel room. We were on the 3rd floor and had a nice view of the beach overlooking the pool.

The serice at the beach, restaurants and front desk were very good. The room a/c didn't work well enough cool off the room during the day. However, once we asked for a fan the room was much cooler.

Breakfast was a mix of local and western food. Would have been nice to have better bread and fresh juice. However, good selection and local food was quite good.

I would be happy to come back and stay here again.

Room Tip: I recommend staying in the main buidling or a bungalow.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Thien Hai Son Resort

Reviewed 18 June 2015

The best thing about the hotel is it's location and being by the beach. It doesn't have a lift which made it tiring going up and down the stairs, our biggest bad point was our air con unit was outside on the balcony which blew out hot air, too hot you couldn't stand outside for too long, although it was good for drying our beach wear out! It provides free shuttle service from the airport which was handy

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2015

After wading through heaps of reviews on various properties I think we chose well. Thien Hai Son is perhaps a little stiff and formal in many ways, but the VIP room we had which was not more than 50 metres from the beach made our stay relaxed and enjoyable. The bungalow had two separate rooms – a living room and a bedroom. Both had flat screen TVs. The living room had a large table and chairs and a good size fridge.
The bedroom was large and well appointed with polished timber furniture, and the ensuite was also a good size, and clean and functional. From previous reviews we were prepared for a hard bed, and we weren’t disappointed. That followed also for the pillows – don’t have a pillow fight - I think it would result in serious injury if not death.
There were French doors from the bedroom to a narrow veranda not 50 metres from the beach. When I say narrow, you have to be inventive with the deck chairs to rig them into a position so that you can face the ocean. Once we worked that out we were set. We spent much time sitting back reading whilst listening to the waves lap the sand.
Breakfast was pretty good, but don’t be late. They say it goes until 9 but if you come much after 8 a lot of items will be exhausted. And that’s where the rigid Vietnamese ways take over – “no, finish!”. I tried to arrange a candle on my wife’s pancake for her Birthday the following morning, but they tried to flog me $30 worth of flowers and $20 for two slices of cake. I gave up in the end, so they did nothing.
Front desk staff were courteous, if not clueless. The information book says they can arrange bicycles – they can’t – they sent me on a wild goose chase to other Hotels that wouldn’t hire the bikes out to non guests.
The pool is huge but lacking character – gardens are too far from the pool to create any ambience or provide any shade – but the water was nice and clean.
A big winner for me was the complimentary airport pick up and drop off – we weren’t expecting that.
Location is good – about 20 minute walk into town – not that there is a lot in town. There are a lot of good choices for eating across the road from the Hotel – expensive by Vietnamese standards but still good value.
If you really want to enjoy the Resort and the Island I think it requires spending the extra for the VIP room – if you can stretch the budget.

Room Tip: Room 'VIP 1' is a great choice for spaciousness and the view of the beach.
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AustraliaNomad
Reviewed 10 February 2015

We had a stand alone bungalow just off the beach. Acess was thus very easy. The hotel provide beach towels and a beach waiter service. Unfortunately one night the beach restaurant played a band at such a high distorted sound level is was beyond funny. Were they sending karaoke signals back to Russia? Apart from that ridiculously loud evening, the rooms are quite and pleasant. Overal a nice place

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2015

Our family of five (three children - 8, 6, and 2) spent five nights here in January.

In researching this hotel, I remember one review saying something like "it grows on you". That is exactly the case - it's a unique hotel (Soviet era, I believe) and was a very good place for our family. In comparison to the other hotels on Long Beach (we checked out several when we were there - we actually made it a point one day to jump into 10 different pools), I feel it is still one of the better ones and were we to do it again, the Thien Hai would have still be our first choice.

Here is what we liked:
- The location is perfect both in relation to the beach (right on it) and location in relation to Duong Dong. About 3/4 mile or so south of Duong Dong, there is a rock outcropping. Once you hit that, it kind of changes the feel of the beach (more sparse, not as quaint) and I would recommend staying on the DD side of those rocks, preferably within 10 resorts of DD.
- The layout of the grounds is interesting and pretty neat. We stayed in a bungalow one removed from the beach and had no complaints about the grounds/location of our bungalow/cleanliness. In addition, the brightly painted buildings add a nice flavor.
- The breakfast was great.
- It was very safe and secure but I think that's just the island in general (although there is a nice guard house at the entrance which gives you piece of mind).

The reason this is a qualified excellent is that the room itself was quite funky and the layout was less than ideal. Think Soviet design in the 70s. It's not a deal killer and this comment should be filed with other "first world problem issues" but don't expect great rooms. The beds (regardless of what they say on the booking sites) in the bungalows consist of a single bed and a queen bed. We ordered an extra bed (which they didn't charge extra for) and it was more than adequate for us. The beds themselves were excellent. Finally, keep in mind that this is a (Vietnamese) three star resort. The bathrooms need some work. The location is five star as are the grounds but the room is certainly three star. The entire time there, I thought that the hotel would be ripe for a conversion into a five star resort as it more than has the potential.

The service was OK, not great. They were very friendly and helped you as much as possible but didn't necessarily go out of the way to help you (which I kind of prefer - if I need something I'll ask). Their English was relatively non-existent but to that I say, I should learn Vietnamese.

I would not hesitate recommending this hotel. The other hotel I would seriously consider is the Paris Phu Quoc (two doors down - we had several meals there).

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled with family
0.1 km away
Sasco Blue Lagoon Resort
Sasco Blue Lagoon Resort
#88 of 107 in Phu Quoc Island

Been to Thien Hai Son Resort? Share your experiences!