“The only decent meal for miles”

Sjavarborg Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar, Cafe
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

When travelling between Reykjavik and Akureyri in the north, the village of Hvammstangi is dead midway and only 2 kilometers detour. That's well worth the drive, since this is more or less the only place at a radius of 200 kilometers where the food is half decent. This was my fifth visit and the menu has changed since february. There were crispy carrots that came along with the childrens meals, which were well liked. The hamburgers were close to perfect, but the fried fish was bland.

1  Thank gr8nbeds

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

This was my second visit this year. In my first visit I had the seafood soup and it was just seafood in a tomato soup. Very underseasoned. This time I had the Udun Prawns and it was like noodles boiled in milk!! No seasoning, just milk and noodles.

1  Thank Alvin G
Hrund J, Owner at Sjavarborg Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Thank you for your review.
We are sorry that you didn't like your food.
We appreciate your feedback and will take it to consideration.
Best regards,
Sjávarborg Team

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

We had dinner there. The food were ok. I was quite confused for my order. I order Prawns Udon but in came like prawns pasta with cream sauce!... And we order seafood soup which was in a main course menu .. it came just like starter. So I was not so happy about it. Price was normal compare to other but dishes were smaller than other.
Service just normal. Place was quite.

1  Thank DrBooska H

Thank you for your review.
We are sorry for that you were not satisfied with your food. We are making Italian dishes out of udon noodles instead of using pre boiled pasta. There are many ways to serve udon noodles and our way is not the classic way but it gives the Italian dish a fresher tasted than it would if we would use pre boiled pasta.
The seafood soup according to the picture you posted online is not a starter but a main course. We are sorry you felt like it was too small. This size of portion has not been a problem to other guests.
Best regards,
Hrund

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

We went there to have our anniversary meal and it was just the right place!
By the window with the sea view and the sunset..could we ask more???
Waitress was very nice and very welcoming
We had the special of the day,which was a salmon fillet with rice..soo fresh and tasty!
Definitely you need to stop by!

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

The fish of the day, salmon, was cooked to perfection. Even though the place looked hip and trendy, we felt very welcome in our traveller outfits. As in most places we’ve visited in Iceland, still water was offered for free.