“holiday visits”

Markt/Basar in Houmt Souk
Reviewed 6 July 2015

houmt souk was a vibrant and coulorfull town,the djerba explorer with a musium,a djerba village and a crocodile farm.

Reviewed 13 June 2015

I'd read about this market being the most pretty and traditional in Tunisia so I guess I was expecting something a bit twee. But it was neither pretty nor traditional - but it was real and authentic (with a few tourist shops) so can't complain about that.

My best advice is to not make eye contact with anyone for the first 10 minutes and just walk away from anyone who starts talking to you. We were literally passed from con artist to scammer continuously for the first 20 minutes until eventually we shook them all off (after quite a bit of assertive shouting!)

Despite having read about the old "hey I'm security at your hotel, how are you!" scammers my wife was taken in within 10 seconds of getting out of the taxi, just through pure disorientation.

I did expect the haggling to be about knocking a bit of money off slightly overpriced goods but I really didn't expect the scale of it.

We asked for a bag of mint leaves and were asked for £12/16EUR and could only haggle them down to £1/1.50EUR by leaving the shop and them chasing after us. That was a pretty normal experience, having to knock 90% off literally everything we bought through a lot of shouting and walking away.

I found the experience tiring but kind of cool. My wife was overwhelmed and stressed throughout, so we cut our visit short.

It may not have been the best experience - but it's an experience I won't forget!

2  Thank DaveSwin
Reviewed 5 May 2015

We wanted to go and check out the market, but about 15 minutes later we left because of all the scams and annoying locals who wouldn't leave you alone.

Reviewed 13 December 2014

Houmt Souk-and Djerba Island -would be nice if not for amounts of garbage everywhere.

Nice town and pleasant market area but the Island and town HAVE to clean up all the piles of garbage-trash -its everywhere and attracts thousands of stray cats-if they want tourism to improve they must keep up appearances!!!!!

See more reviews
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is a place of old and new (to them). It's a enjoyable day to visit here on market days if you like to haggle for things they have some very good fake items. I like to just walk around looking and listening taking it all in their ways their style listening to them speaking a number of languages having a guess at peoples language as they pass by. English is normally the last guessed.
I returned here on a different day with no market and also of a evening it is very different but I'm glad I did it I liked it most of the evening walking freely seeing things I had not seen over the two years I have visited here.