“colorful”

Markt/Basar in Houmt Souk
Reviewed 22 October 2016

Souk is a must visit if you are on Jerba! Great place to feel traditional vibes, see and smell local products, try bargaining skils... One of the best markets in Tunisia!

2  Thank izi f

Reviewed 22 December 2015

This was a fantastic Souk with as many locals as tourists. Narrow paths between the "stalls" and a real mix of produce / products. Shoes , Spices, you name it. Just be strong, as with most countries in the Middle East / Egypt, when they try to hawk you into their shop .... a fir, No with a smile usually gets you away!!

3  Thank Roger G
Reviewed 6 July 2015

houmt souk was a vibrant and coulorfull town,the djerba explorer with a musium,a djerba village and a crocodile farm.

Reviewed 13 June 2015

I'd read about this market being the most pretty and traditional in Tunisia so I guess I was expecting something a bit twee. But it was neither pretty nor traditional - but it was real and authentic (with a few tourist shops) so can't complain about that.

My best advice is to not make eye contact with anyone for the first 10 minutes and just walk away from anyone who starts talking to you. We were literally passed from con artist to scammer continuously for the first 20 minutes until eventually we shook them all off (after quite a bit of assertive shouting!)

Despite having read about the old "hey I'm security at your hotel, how are you!" scammers my wife was taken in within 10 seconds of getting out of the taxi, just through pure disorientation.

I did expect the haggling to be about knocking a bit of money off slightly overpriced goods but I really didn't expect the scale of it.

We asked for a bag of mint leaves and were asked for £12/16EUR and could only haggle them down to £1/1.50EUR by leaving the shop and them chasing after us. That was a pretty normal experience, having to knock 90% off literally everything we bought through a lot of shouting and walking away.

I found the experience tiring but kind of cool. My wife was overwhelmed and stressed throughout, so we cut our visit short.

It may not have been the best experience - but it's an experience I won't forget!

2  Thank DaveSwin