There are plenty of lodging options in the south of Sri Lanka. Around Koggala The Fortress would rank as the best. It's comparable in many ways to The Lighthouse hotel in Galle with a much better design and newer more spacious rooms.
The check in was nice with free cinnamon drink and cold wet towels. The reception staff would accompany you to the room and take you thru the room features. In room amenities are great and as expected from a 5 star hotel. Every room has a small balcony with the Ocean rooms facing the sea. The rooms are quite spacious with really large comfy beds with large soft pillows (there are a choice of pillows available if required). The room is sound proof and you wont be disturbed by the sound of waves once you close the doors. The washroom separated out nicely has plenty of space, complimentary toiletries etc. 5 Stars for the Fortress room we booked. Other rooms are even better.
Saturday night is a seafood dinner buffet. There's a grilled seafood action station where you can pick what seafood you want done. There are king prawns, lobster, squid, sear fish etc here. The other mains lose focus at this dinner but still includes chicken, pork, rice, noodles and veges. The salad bar is limited and so is the sushi bar. The real highlight of this experience is the seafood. If thats not your thing I believe the ala carte menu is available. The desserts were decent, not mind blowing.
Breakfast has a nice mix of western and Sri Lankan cuisine along with fresh juices and fruits. The only issue at breakfast time is that squirrels and crows tend to pick food off tables if unattended. Be sure for one person to stay put while the others serve food. The dining area is outdoors so no AC but a view of the sea and the sea breeze to keep you cool.
The pool is fantastic with plenty of space at different levels. What seemed to lack was a separate baby pool.
There's a bar above the lobby area which has a somewhat limited view of the ocean altho directly in front of it. There's plenty of sea breeze blowing here and during our Saturday night stay there was not a soul who sat at the bar.
The sea is just meters away from the hotel and has a nice stretch of beach area running for miles. In front of the hotel there's a reef protected area which is safe to swim at about 5feet5inches high of water. The best time to use this would be early in the morning as local crowds tend to frequent this spot later during the day. You will also find a few folks fishing for small fish here.
The staff is very friendly and courteous. Room service was prompt and restaurant staff was attentive.
There's a nothing to fault really about the entire experience. If you are looking for a quiet place to wind down by the beach then there's no place better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A luxury 53 room boutique resort located on the Southern shores of Sri Lanka. The Fortress has been styled after Galle’s powerful ancient Dutch Fort, blending the country’s Dutch and Portuguese influences with Sri Lankan motifs and indigenous furnishings to echo the historic days of Old Ceylon. This has been artfully and sensitively fused with innovative architecture, high design features, state-of-the-art technology, sensual living spaces with naturally modern design, and incredible gastronomic experiences, to stunning effect. The Fortress will offer unprecedented levels of service, extraordinary innovation, attention to detail and a unique blend of Old Ceylon with Modern Asia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Fortress Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fortress Hotel Koggala
- Fortress Hotel Galle
- Fortress Galle
- Fortress Sri Lanka
- The Fortress Resort & Spa Sri Lanka/Koggala