“TopDive is a Top Notch Operation, Tahiti Diving Worth the Stopover”
Review of TOPDIVE Tahiti

Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Faa'a
Reviewed 8 June 2017

My rating rates the dive operation, not the quality of the sea life and coral, though I was very happy with that as well and think Tahiti is underrated as a dive location.
So first about the dive operation. Top Dive is excellent. It has operations across several of the French Polynesian islands, so we were able to buy a package of 20+ dives that covered diving in Tahiti, Bora Bora, and Rangiroa. They offer Nitrox with no upcharge. (I separately reviewed my experience with Bora Bora and Rangiroa, so this review addresses just Tahiti.)
My husband and I did 7 dives with the Top Dive Tahiti operation. Our dive master was Lionel Garcia, and he was top notch! He was very focused on safety but also very conscientious about providing us with a satisfying dive experience. Lionel spoke English quite well, and he provided us with a thorough safety and dive site briefing prior to each dive. He did a great job of finding interesting things to see on each dive, be it very small things like nudibranchs or large things like sharks and eagle rays. It was clear he loves his job and loves sharing the Tahiti reefs with those who come to see them. Lionel did a good job of ensuring that we were able to go to a variety of sites so we could fully experience the diving that Tahiti has to offer. In addition, he picked us up from our hotel and drove us back to it after the dives. This was no additional charge.
Tahiti offered almost as good sea life as we saw in Bora Bora and Rangiroa. We saw lemon sharks, black tips, and reef sharks. We had an amazing experience watching about 30 Eagle Rays at a cleaning station twice. We were able to see nudibranchs, a plethora of fish varieties, and the coral was definitely better than what we saw in Bora Bora and Rangiroa (hard corals, not colorful soft corals). In addition, once on the boat, we had the chance to see a school of Spinner Dolphin playing near the reef two different times. What a treat. Having now dived there, I would consider Tahiti a dive destination, not just a pass through on the way to the other islands.

All reviews
"once in a lifetime"
"cruise ship"
"been diving for years"
in 2 reviews
"staff was very friendly"

Reviewed 25 May 2017

I did dives in both Moorea and Tahiti. My Moorea dive was a refresher (I hadn't dived in a year). Unfortunately, the dive master assigned to me spoke very limited English and didn't understand many of my questions. He did virtually no brief on the dive (something I'm accustomed to in the States) and the dive site for the refresher was not the greatest and had limited sea life.

I did two additional dives in Bora Bora that were far better. The Dive Master - Alfred - was outstanding. He spoke English fluently and did an excellent job of briefing us before each dive. The dive sites were good with many reef and lemon sharks and even a cave. The boat was full with 12 divers and 3 Dive Masters - so it was a bit more crowded than I would have liked (it was difficult to find a seat out of the sun!) My advice - be sure they give you a Dive Master who is fluent in your language and ask how many will be going on the dive.

Reviewed 24 May 2017

I've gone diving with TopDive in Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora and Rangiroa on two separate trips. They are super helpful, friendly, professional and knowledgable. Their boats and gear are first rate and they make sure you're comfortable before you make your dives. I'm posting pictures from the dive with them in Tahiti. If you're scared to be in close proximity to 10-12 foot tiger sharks then this trip isn't for you. But if you're like me and aren't afraid, this is an experience of a lifetime and I can't wait to do it again.

Reviewed 17 May 2017 via mobile

I dove twice with top dive. Great dive and people. Didn't see a whole lot of aquatic life but still breathe taking place to dive. Lots of coral but none that is too vibrant with colors.