“Stunning Dive with an unfortunate turn”
Review of TOPDIVE Tahiti

TOPDIVE Tahiti
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Faa'a
Reviewed 29 June 2017

I believe it is fair to say my experience with Top Dive has been extremely mixed. Myself and two others started the morning off positive. We were provided with complimentary transportation to the dive centre (taxis are very expensive in Tahiti) and met with the dive master who briefed and fitted us with our dive gear. We all had a bag with us since we planned on having breakfast and spending the afternoon at the InterContinental Hotel after our dive. As there was no secure place for us to leave our bags at the centre we opted to take them with us on the boat which would be guarded by the skipper while we were in the water. Two of us left our small bags on the helm of the boat while the other left his underneath the seating area. Both dive master's and all passengers went for the dive leaving the skipper on the vessel alone. We were the first divers to re-board the vessel after the dive and when we returned to the dock and disembarked the vessel the Skipper attempted to return some loose change he had claimed to have found on the helm of the boat. He said it had fallen out of one of the two bags that were left there, we declined the change as we knew our wallets were secure in our bags and it could not have fallen out. Then when we went to pay for the dive my friend noticed that he was missing a 5000XPF ($50USD) note. This was strange as he had just withdrawn cash the night prior specifically so he could pay for the dive in cash and have money for our day at the InterContinental. Confused but assuming the note must have come out of his wallet somewhere in his bag he proceeded to pay with a credit card. We then went for breakfast at the hotel and he took the opportunity to go through his bag properly with no luck. This was especially strange because he keeps his wallet within another small zippered pocket inside his bag and there was no way it could fall out. He decided to go back to the dive shop and asked if a 5000XPF note has been found onboard the vessel. They said the boat had gone back out but would return in half hour and to check back. Whilst this was happening I went to pay for breakfast and realised I was also missing cash. I had withdrawn money the same time as my friend the previous day knowing our future plans. I was missing 10000XPF ($100USD). Not wanting to jump to conclusions I contacted another friend at the accommodation I was staying at to check my room for the note, which was not there. When my friend returned 30mins later as instructed to the dive centre the Dive Master claimed that his note had been found on the helm of the boat, which was suspicious since he left his bag under the seating area close to the stern the entire time. I also returned to confront them with no avail. I am not writing this review to get my money back but to warn other divers to be extra careful with their belongings. We thought we were being careful by bringing out personal belonging with us however this was clearly not the case. This is an extremely unfortunate situation as the dive was amazing! The coral, reef sharks and tropical fish were stunning and I had my first encounter with a large tiger shark.

Management response:Responded 1 July 2017

Ia Orana Jen,
Thank you for your comment.

We are really sorry that you suspected one of our team members to have stollen your belongings.
It's the first time that such things happen in one of our dive centers
Please be sure that we'll take immediat measure and we'll find out what's happened this day.
It is not acceptable that such of things happen at TOPDIVE, we do our maximum to make our guests feel safe during all their stay in one of our dive centers.

Could you please contact me as soon as possible to give us more details (date of the dive, your full name, if you know it the name of the skipper) that will help us to find out what happened and to make sure that will never happen again.

Of course if we prove the culpability of the skipper, he will be fired immediatly.

My contact
Sebastien GUILLOUX
Sales manager
sebastien@topdive.com
+689 87714700

Sebastien

Reviewed 21 June 2017

Top Dive picked me up at a different hotel and was very efficient in getting my tank, weights, and gear loaded. Sebastian and Lionel were wonderful. We went in search of sharks, specifically tiger sharks, and we pleased to find reef sharks, two lemon sharks, and one late arriving tiger shark. The staff was courteous, efficient, and professional.

Reviewed 8 June 2017

My rating rates the dive operation, not the quality of the sea life and coral, though I was very happy with that as well and think Tahiti is underrated as a dive location.
So first about the dive operation. Top Dive is excellent. It has operations across several of the French Polynesian islands, so we were able to buy a package of 20+ dives that covered diving in Tahiti, Bora Bora, and Rangiroa. They offer Nitrox with no upcharge. (I separately reviewed my experience with Bora Bora and Rangiroa, so this review addresses just Tahiti.)
My husband and I did 7 dives with the Top Dive Tahiti operation. Our dive master was Lionel Garcia, and he was top notch! He was very focused on safety but also very conscientious about providing us with a satisfying dive experience. Lionel spoke English quite well, and he provided us with a thorough safety and dive site briefing prior to each dive. He did a great job of finding interesting things to see on each dive, be it very small things like nudibranchs or large things like sharks and eagle rays. It was clear he loves his job and loves sharing the Tahiti reefs with those who come to see them. Lionel did a good job of ensuring that we were able to go to a variety of sites so we could fully experience the diving that Tahiti has to offer. In addition, he picked us up from our hotel and drove us back to it after the dives. This was no additional charge.
Tahiti offered almost as good sea life as we saw in Bora Bora and Rangiroa. We saw lemon sharks, black tips, and reef sharks. We had an amazing experience watching about 30 Eagle Rays at a cleaning station twice. We were able to see nudibranchs, a plethora of fish varieties, and the coral was definitely better than what we saw in Bora Bora and Rangiroa (hard corals, not colorful soft corals). In addition, once on the boat, we had the chance to see a school of Spinner Dolphin playing near the reef two different times. What a treat. Having now dived there, I would consider Tahiti a dive destination, not just a pass through on the way to the other islands.

Reviewed 25 May 2017

I did dives in both Moorea and Tahiti. My Moorea dive was a refresher (I hadn't dived in a year). Unfortunately, the dive master assigned to me spoke very limited English and didn't understand many of my questions. He did virtually no brief on the dive (something I'm accustomed to in the States) and the dive site for the refresher was not the greatest and had limited sea life.

I did two additional dives in Bora Bora that were far better. The Dive Master - Alfred - was outstanding. He spoke English fluently and did an excellent job of briefing us before each dive. The dive sites were good with many reef and lemon sharks and even a cave. The boat was full with 12 divers and 3 Dive Masters - so it was a bit more crowded than I would have liked (it was difficult to find a seat out of the sun!) My advice - be sure they give you a Dive Master who is fluent in your language and ask how many will be going on the dive.

Reviewed 24 May 2017

I've gone diving with TopDive in Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora and Rangiroa on two separate trips. They are super helpful, friendly, professional and knowledgable. Their boats and gear are first rate and they make sure you're comfortable before you make your dives. I'm posting pictures from the dive with them in Tahiti. If you're scared to be in close proximity to 10-12 foot tiger sharks then this trip isn't for you. But if you're like me and aren't afraid, this is an experience of a lifetime and I can't wait to do it again.