“Generous quantities”

Restaurante Banhos Ferreos
Ranked #12 of 20 Restaurants in Furnas
Reviewed 2 April 2018

This is a difficult review to write, because, as always, ratings are very personal. So here it is: we went to the restaurant in mid-March. The weather was fairly cool (12C/50F), and yet, the doors were open. I'm extremely sensitive to the cold, so I could not savour the food too well. Clenching my teeth does that. We opted for the fish dinner for 2. The portions were very generous, even too generous, with many pieces of tuna steaks, swordfish and salmon, plus shrimp and so forth. The dish came with vegetables. We could not eat even half the fish, even though we had hiked 15 km that day. Quantity, unfortunately, was matched by quality. The fish was overcooked and dry. If you have a big appetite and enjoy your fish a little overcooked, this restaurant offers great value.

Reviewed 24 January 2018 via mobile

Great place in the heart of Funas. They got a beautiful terrace with views around all the village mounts. We start our lunch with fresh goat cheese from Açores and red pepper Azzores sauce. Of course we take the fantastic Cozido as main course, 6hours of steam cooking in the Caldeira at Lagoa das Furnas for a result of pure fragrance integrity cause by a slow cooking of the vegetables and meats.
Great service provide by Paolo, very kind.

Worse to try it!

Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

I can’t remeber what was more terrible. Only good thing was garlic bread. “Mix grill” (name of food) for two tasted horrible. May be the huge portion would be good if it taste better. For me, don’t go there. ;-/

1  Thank Bernard B
Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

The garlic bread was good, but the food tasted like on the railway station restaurant. 80€ for four is a lot. There are more and better restaurants.

1  Thank Martin B
Reviewed 21 November 2017

The food was high quality, a huge portion and cooked perfectly with more vegetables than any other restaurant. The service nice, the wi-fi worked and it was clean which should mean a 5 star review.

I suppose the one star drop is because of the uninspiring menu and decor, TV too loud, only two tables being used and it was I think at the final tally the most I paid for a meal at lunchtime in Sao Miguel.