All reviews quiet hotel minutes driving hiking tours garlic butter large restaurant the ground floor no tea and coffee making facilities small gym the indoor swimming pool evening buffet steam room turkish bath plenty of choice communal areas wi fi great facilities beautiful island
Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

I have visited the beautiful island of Madeira many times. On this occasion I decided to stay at the Enotel Golf. The only reason that the word golf is included is because it is next to a golf course. I am no golfer, however the consistent high praise on Trip Advisor was my reason for a visit.

The hotel is only about 15 minutes from the airport. I used Jet 2 holidays for this visit as a package deal. My second holiday with them and I will continue to give them my custom due to their impressive service in all aspects of their performance.

From the moment I arrived at the hotel I received a courteous welcome from the friendly front desk staff. My room (61) - (electronic card access) was situated on the first floor - (There are no lifts so I would suggest direct contact with the hotel and request a room on the ground floor, if stairs present a problem).

My room was immaculate, I always like to mention the quality of the housekeeping. They are an important factor in any hotel. The room was well appointed overlooking a covered seating garden area. Air conditioning is available although I did not use it. The bathroom was spacious with a walk-in shower, (no bath). I am a shower person so my preference. The water supply has plenty of power and very hot. No problem drinking the tap water. I always use the tap water in Madiera.

Face tissues are supplied, (this is not always the case in some hotels).
I would suggest you bring your own body/hair wash. Maybe your own hand wash as only a small 'hard' soap block is supplied.
Be careful of the 'Emergency Alert' cord! It hangs inside the shower and could easily be activated in error - Should be relocated?

My room had a Bidet. Plenty of good quality towels.

Plenty of optional lighting in the room.

Comfy bed and nice soft pillows. Writing desk and chairs. Large wardrobe with a lot of space. Extra blankets available.

There is a safe, however a small charge is required if used.

No coffee/tea making facilities in the room, so you will need to bring your own. Remember your 'converter'. Madiera is a European two pin plug system.

Wide screen TV with plenty of english speaking channels. The movies/dramas are shown in the English language with Portuguese sub titles. Sky / BBC news and a host of foreign language channels complete your viewing.

Now, we all enjoy and expect wi fi. The rooms at the time of my review will not offer wi fi. However, I have been informed by the front desk that this will be offered soon. If I placed my tablet near the windows I could pick up a weak signal.

The wi fi in the lounge / restaurant / bar external terrace has excellent signals. No 'drop outs'. I would not be be without Classic fm UK so I was able to enjoy this uninterrupted. If you want to enjoy your wi fi in your room I suggest you check with your provider. I have Vodafone and was able to use it in my room.

Speaking of classical music channels, for those who may be interested: I also listen to 'KING FM 98.1' This is a Seattle based classic radio station. Then chose 'Evergreen', (otherwise there are alternatives). The advantage over Classic fm UK is that there is no 'chat' or adverts. It is a 24/7 available station.

Have a look at the exceptional floral displays throughout the halls /:foyer, restaurant. A lot of care and attention has been given. Even small real flowers in vases on tables. The florist deserves compliment for her imagination. The colour scheme throughout the hotel is very harmonious and well thought.

The restaurant provides a good healthy breakfast with hot options as well as continental. Good coffee (albeit from a machine). I noted the orange juice was fresh and real. Plenty of fresh fruit.

The dinner option is exceptional value. I paid £65 for the seven nights through Jet 2 in advance of my arrival. Food on offer include meat/fish and vegetarian dishes. Alcohol and soft drinks are extra. Typically the cost of a pint of local beer (Coral) is €3.50 - coffee: €2.10. Restaurant and bar staff always served with a genuine smile.

Note: Lunch is not available, so a short walk to Santo da Serra village to the supermarket might be an option? There are a few local cafes / bars. I did not use any of them.

Remember the hotel is situated high in the coastal mountains. If you want to visit Funchal there is a local bus service that departs/returns from the village a few hundred metres from the hotel. Have a look on the 'S.A.M.' local transport website for their timetable. Otherwise it would be a taxi.

I noted that the hotel is very popular with German and Portuguese guests. I further noted families with young children so the hotel is not just 'adult' golf orientated.

To conclude: Relax on the terrace deck outside the restaurant with your sundowner and view the the 'Mother' of all cedar trees.
The lower trunk has a spotlight at night. In my home town of Great Malvern in Worcestershire there are some impressive cedars located in the grounds of the 11th century Priory, they are about 200-250 years old. This cedar must be older!

Enjoy the hospitality of the Hotel Enotel Golf in Santo do Serra. I will be returning later this year.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
3  Thank Paul T
Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

I came in winter time, for golfing, had only two nice days at the golf club nearby but four more at Palheiro Golf Club, 25 minutes driving. For both get discount from hotel.
The hotel offers steam bath, indoor swimming pool and a gym. Just perfect for golf holidays or hiking tours.
Of course very clean and friendly and very helpful staff.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank ralfm844
EnotelHandR, Gestor at Enotel Golf Santo da Serra, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Enotel Golf.

It is compensating reading comments like yours, certainly a motivating factor towards maintaining our quality service standards.

Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

Very nice hotel in a quiet village. Rooms are good size, breakfast is great and dinner is very good value. The village near by had local shops, cafe and restaurant, you can get fresh Bola do caco every day from the guy making on the corner. It is near a few levadas so things to do in walking distance. Pool is a good enough size and had a Turkish bath. The WiFi needs improving as not every room can get the signal. Staff very helpful and friendly, very good bar which is reasonably priced. It is a good 10-15 mins by car from Machico, you will need a rental car to make the most of the stay.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dwhsapo
EnotelHandR, Gestor at Enotel Golf Santo da Serra, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2018

Reviewed 4 December 2017

Went into rural Madeira for some relaxing time after spending 2 weeks in Funchal. This hotel was exactly what we wanted. Upmarket and relaxing within the peace of Santo da Serra village. There were lovely traditional touches throughout the modern building which was situated on the edge of the village and within easy walking distance of the bars and small restaurants in the centre. The staff were welcoming and warm, the room was spacious and very clean leading out onto the gardens where there was a table and chairs and sun loungers for personal use. Breakfast was one of the best we have had, the little touches made it excellent. There were Hot plates for the cooked breakfast an extensive cold buffet and the orange juice was REAL. The swimming pool is clean and warm. The changing facilities and showers immaculate. An excellent tranquil break.

Room Tip: Opening out onto the gardens.
Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HeatherKeeling
EnotelHandR, Gestor at Enotel Golf Santo da Serra, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2017

Reviewed 24 November 2017

We arrived to a friendly welcome in a very pleasant and comfortable country hotel. All of the staff were friendly and the hotel has lovely madeiran touches in the decor and ornaments throughout. Our room wasn't large but adequate and the evening buffet was excellent, as was the indoor swimming pool that we had to ourselves. You need a car to get around and explore this fabulous area with super walks, or drive further to Camacha, Funchal etc. We wished that we had more nights here, before we moved on.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CandFC
EnotelHandR, Gestor at Enotel Golf Santo da Serra, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2017

Dear Guest,

Just a short note to thank you for your stay at the Enotel Golf hotel and for the feedback about it. Much appreciated.
It will be a pleasure to welcome you back in our property.

Warm regards,