Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort
Sebastian's Family Taverna & Accommodation(Agios Gordios)(Great Value!)
US$67
Hotels.com
US$89
  • Beachfront
Lido Sofia Apartments(Agios Gordios)(Great Value!)
US$89
Pelagos Apartments(Agios Gordios)
TripAdvisor
Stevens on the Hill(Agios Gordios)
TripAdvisor
Romantic Palace Hotel(Agios Gordios)
Mazis Apartments(Agios Gordios)
Danae Apartments(Agios Gordios)
Priceline
Jenny's Studios(Agios Gordios)
Rolandos Apartments(Agios Gordios)
2,467 results
All reviewsbeach bartunnel barlemon treeperla restaurantcorfu townmain restaurantla grottaplunge poolroof terracelocal villagebuffet restaurantsea viewevening entertainmentrelaxing holidaythomson repagios gordios beach hotelgolf buggies
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Hi, My husband and I have returned today (19th August) from this hotel. I have used tripadvisor numerous times and thought it was time I contributed. First of all, I want to agree with previous comments that describe the location of this hotel as stunning. Although small, the beach below the hotel is mainly sandy with a narrow strip of pebbles as you enter the beautifully clear water.
The staff in the restaurant work very, very hard and are always pleasant. On the other hand, we felt that sometimes the receptionists were being rude about people as they would revert to their native language after being asked for assistance and their tone and body language definately gave this impression.
We were allocated one of the suites in a block outside of the main hotel building. Initially, we were alarmed by the very challenging walk to the main building, however, after a couple of days our calves ached less and we concluded that on balance we enjoyed the tranquility offered by the remoteness of our accommodation.
As mentioned before, this hotel is currently AI. We found the breakfast to be good but the coffee on offer is very, very disappointing. It is instant coffee with the option of adding carnation type milk or UHT milk. As a coffee lover who can drink virtually anything, I found myself gagging a couple of times trying to drink the stuff. I have to say in defence of the coffee that my OH found it OK. Lunch is very good but the evening meal is virtually the same food with one or two of the meats jazzed up by being cooked in wine or with prunes...etc. After a couple of nights we ate in the village and I can highly recommend 'Linda's' and 'Poesdonies' on the front for lovely latte.
One thing I can't believe hasn't been mentioned are the MOSQUITOES!!! My husband and I were bitten so many times - we bought some anti bite lotion in one of the local shops but I don't think the deet content was high enough as were were still bitten after application.
The rooms are good and ours was very clean.
All in all this was a very relaxing holiday that was enhanced by the fact there was a lovely village within a 10 minute walk which provided a chage of scenery and lovely coffee.

Room Tip: Ask to be in the main building unless your are very fit
3  Thank Mary G
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Booked a week here with thomas cook all inclusive.
We arrived early hours and we were greeted by a very nice receptionist, our was room was a bit small but really clean,tea and coffee in room which is a bonus for me.
If you want a quiet week without kids this is ideal, there are things to do if you want but we didn't so it suited us to laze around the pool all day.
There are beach towels at 10.00am everyday but you can keep them and change them for fresh ones every day.
We liked a certain spot everyday and to get that we needed to be down at 8.00am to get that but we would put our towels out then go and have breakfast.
The food was good but by the end of our week we were a bit bored of it, lovely salad bar, but did lack a bit more imagination with some of the dishes. Really dissapointed that there wasnt more fish!!!
Be careful that when you go to the beach that you have to pay extra for the sundebs, even though there are the hotels beds, it wasn't alot only 7euros for 2 beds and a parasol but just be aware.Also you have to pay extra for your room safe!!!
The town was a nice walk from the hotel,we followed a couple of paths and the beach and it was pleasant, we eat out one night which wasnt good it was anna's taverna by the beach DONT BOTHER food in the hotel was far better!!!!
Overall a really lovely week and we would return to the hotel again,but noticed it is going half board next year!!!!
Staff in the hotel were lovely and the maintenance guy was lovely been ther 25 years a real nice guy.and the roof top bartender was lovely too.
Hope this help you book your holiday :)

3  Thank Rachel P
Reviewed 15 August 2011

everything about this hotel was above average, i would not hesitate to book this hotel. food was a buffet style servig however was resterant quality. right on the beach and had a small beach bar which was included in all inclusive. all inclusive till 11 and one night during our stay we had a meal at the a la carte resterante included in our all inclusive. however the food was fab anyway. dinner time included a buffet style meal upstairs in the eating area or by the pool there was a buffet of pastries and cakes. we stayed ion bungalow which was a walk from the pool. however buggies would pick you up on request, yet i would not reccomend if walking is a problem as it is up and down hill to hotel and there was no lifts, although only 2 floors.

Room Tip: bungalow was lovely
  • Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kirsty d
Reviewed 15 August 2011

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a week at the Agios Gordios and have to say, were severely let down.

First of all, let me say we're relatively young, 26 & 27 and I had done some homework before booking. We were attracted to the hotel due to the adults only basis (I work with children all year round, so a good break from them was needed!) and we were ready for not that much entertainment. We went somewhere all singing and dancing last year and didn't really have too much to do with the animations team so we weren't too bothered about the slow pace of life at this hotel.

It was a bit of a disaster from start to finish. Upon arrival (having been up since 3am UK time) all we wanted to do was get a shower and a nap. There were 3 parties checking in when we arrived and it took over 40 minutes. The check in process was relatively easy, we were given some information about routines, restaurants etc. Getting to our room was another matter. We were directed to some seats, told to wait and given no information, which pretty much set the scene for the helpfulness of Reception during the week! We were told someone would be along to take us to the room soon, nothing. We asked 4 times and then eventually, after telling them to show us the way and we'd go ourselves, a caretaker took us on a golf buggy to our apartment.

The apartments are set away from the main building and oh my, what a walk! We are by no means unfit, I am a regular gym-goer but the location of these rooms is madness. We were in block 8, the other apartment blocks were 7 & 9. Avoid rooms beginning with 9 at all cost, they're the farthest out and by the hotel boundary. I can honestly say it was a nightmare of a walk. Sometimes we'd go back to the room after lunch and have to lay down for a bit because of the hill! You could ask for a lift on the golf buggy but agin, a bit hit and miss as to whether it was available and we felt bad for asking more than a couple of times in the week. Indeed, one day I'd been stung badly on the lower leg by a bee and was having trouble walking and they kept us waiting for ages!

The room itself was passable. We were pleased to find we had a separate living room which was good, with a tv and dvd player in each room. (Take your own DVD's if you feel like using it - the 'library' consists of free ones from the Daily Mail!) There were, however, cracks in the wall and there was a massive streak of sealant over the door in the bathroom. The bed was comfy enough and a spare pillow was available. We were suspicious of the bed, though. My OH was reading his ipad and thought he saw something crawl over it, we dismissed it as him seeing things but most nights we woke up itching like mad, and it was very suspect that the OH was bitten lots below the waist, the only part of him that was under the bedclothes. I checked the bed and didn't see anything but the itching every time you woke up was a little suspect, to say the least. Towels were dirty and frayed, and one night my BF put his foot through one after a shower. Ridiculous. Be aware if you want a safe, it's a non-refundable €3 per day.

Food - oh where do we start. Having been to a few AI hotels before, I know to expect the 'international buffet' is general food. It was, however, rubbish! Literally the same thing every night, people pushing and shoving, veg recycled from the previous meal. Also, most mince tasted of allspice, a bit unnerving when you were expecting bolognaise with your pasta and it tastes like moussaka! Everything was fried, even when stated grilled and the labels by food were frequently wrong.

Drinks were laughable. You would choose a table and sit there for 10 mins before someone would come over if you were lucky. In the end people used the draught machines for squash, coke and wine themselves and did top ups themselves! Not once in the whole week were we offered a refill. The rate at tables were cleared was appalling. We always sat around the corner in the second part of the dining room, next to the drinks machines. So no lack of staff coming past. One night we were on our dessert by the time they started clearing the table next to us. Cleanliness was a bit iffy, the last morning we were eating breakfast and I saw a line of dead wasps on the floor!

Dinner dress regulations were also poor. My OH has stupidly forgotten his linen trousers, so the first night he went in below the knee, smart linen shorts. We were turned away by the Guest Relations manager who was extremely short with us. We explained the problem and said we wanted to buy some the next day and she was having none of it so OH had to dine in jeans in 30˚ heat! The ironic thing is, they let women in wearing crop tops, mini shorts that you could see underwear out of. We also saw a number of men wearing casual, beach style shorts at dinner, unchallenged throughout the week, one of which we were informed by a member of staff was the director's son. *Helpfully*, this manager said we could buy 'nice trousers' from the mini market, which were thick, khaki combats, also totally unsuitable for dinner!

AI drinks were very basic. The wine was always warm, apart from the red which was chilled. Asking for something that was slightly different a nightmare..e.g. white wine spritzer made with lemonade or cherry brandy and coke was met with utter incredulity, both parts of both drinks were n the AI and we explained what we'd like and it was the most painful process ever, despite the hotel's bars priding themselves on 'high quality and imaginative drinks with flair' (quote from the AI cocktail menu!)

The pool was also tatty. A number of times we found loose tiles on the pool floor and someone before us had made a mini mosaic on the side of the pool with them! SThe water was extremely cloudy also, worrying! unbeds wet or filthy and if you wanted a (very tatty) towel after 10.30 you were stuck! The snacks served in the afternoon were fruit, meatballs and cake. Original! Sunbeds frequently left claimed and empty, signs up saying towels would be removed but we never saw this happen. The kitchen behind the bar does the afternoon snacks and one afternoon when waiting for drinks my OH saw a man in there dipping his fingers into 3 trays of food to check it. We mentioned to bar staff and they were totally not bothered.

The beach bar was a little better and the beach itself is lovely. As others have said, you rent sunbeds - €7 for a pair and an umbrella. The money is collected by the beach bar bar staff, so that the hotel isn't involved is blatantly lies! That said, the beach was a lovely place to be and I enjoyed swimming in the sea, with clear water and soft sand and pebbles.

Entertainment - as I've previously said, we were aware it wasn't the most happening place but this was pathetic. One night we fancied bingo, went down after dinner at 9.05 and the first game had started, "fair enough" we thought, "we'll get the next one". At 9.30 it ended and that was it for the night! One night Mamma Mia was shown, projected on the side of the hotel at the roof bar, so you would only have been able to see from the very side seats. Themed dinner nights were ok, Greek night showed a severe lack of Greek food and was basically intl buffet with ouzo, sunset night was an outdoor bbq which was nice, director's gala dinner was laughable - 'salmon' and 'turkey', the former anything but salmon, the latter dry and fatty.

The mainly young staff in the restaurant were trying their best. George and a few of his colleagues were running round and never stopped, the older staff pointed at things and let them deal with it. I feel sorry for them working there! Management also a joke, walking past rows of dirty tables and doing nothing. I don't care if you're a manager, if there's work that needs doing and you're understaffed, chip in and help!

Wasps - if you're vaguely scared of them, don't go here! They're everywhere. It's practically impossible to eat outside and two afternoons we got so sick of them by the pool we went back to the room. There are wasps nests below a balcony of the hotel, at least 15 and the hotel appears to do nothing about them. The restaurant has some wasp traps hanging from the balcony outside with lots of dead ones in, seems it hasn't been cleaned for a while. Similarly, the lamps in the lobby were filled with dead wasps...disgusting!

The info booklet in the room states one meal a week in the Olive Tree restaurant, incorrect. We were given a money off voucher but the menu looked so dear for what you got we didn't bother. The 'courtesy room' for showering when you've got a late flight, is as someone else has said, the gym shower. Dirty marks up the wall and generally tatty, used towels thrown in the corner on the floor, though the rest of the gym was spotless. I didn't take a treatment as they were massively overpriced, (80€ for most massages!)

The nicest times we had were when we left the hotel. We took €250 not expecting to spend it and went through the lot, thank God we had some cash or we'd be stuck there! The mexican restaurant is town is lovely and it is also home to Robin's Nest, the most fabulous bar ever. This lady honestly made our stay, and her bar was second to none, funky, welcoming and cosy! Check it out and say Gem sent you! The Sea Breeze tavern is also good, we had some lovely gyros there on our last day for lunch.

Reading this review back, it seems like I'm being overly negative and I appreciate others may have had more positive experiences. I have tried to be objective and I also realise that Greek hotels can sometimes be a little hit and miss. I can, however, only be honest and say there is no way this hotel deserves it's 4* & 5T from Thompson and by the first night we wanted to come home! We had chance to see a couple of rooms in town in different apartments and they put this hotel to shame. Check out the Sea Breeze & Stevens on the Hill if you want a decent stay in Agios Gordios! A really big shame!

Room Tip: Avoid the apartments!
2  Thank Gem D
Aquis, Head of Marketing at Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2011

Our sincerest apologies for your disappointment, we really appreciate it when guests share their experience, whether good or bad, with us. At Aquis Hotels and Resorts we need to continuously work on the improvement of our service and for this need to rely on the comments and suggestions of our guests so we enjoy reading well mannered constrictive criticism. From the tone of your comments we understand that you came up with several issues with primirily that your room was not in the main building. Please accept our sincere apologies for not been able to offer you a room other than the type booked due to extreme high occupancies with already booked in advanced main building guestrooms.

We treat every guest with the same care and respect and we apologize for having such a bad experience on arrival as this is not up to our standards. We strongly suggest our guests to bring these matters to the attention of the management. We are here to service you and both staff and management appreciate it when a guest advises us of something that isn't right. It's frustrating for us to read encountered issues after check out because often it's a simple solution and we will do whatever we can to resolve it or at least we will have been given the opportunity to react. We see this as a great opportunity of "making it right" for you. Direct interaction with guests is the primary reason of the management out of the office boundaries, walking around the tables “doing nothing”.

We were very disheartened to see your statements about being low quality given with words such as for example “rubbish” for the food items. We certainly favor most well-mannered words however we are regretful that the food was not of your preference. Food quality and variety is an extremely important issue for us and we test it daily in order to get the highest demanded results

To offer some more insight on the dress code in the dining rooms, we do post on our website our kind notice for smart casual dress refraining from shorts for dinner and I confirm that a family member of our founder came down to the dining room wearing casual shorts but possibly you didn’t notice that he was asked as well to honor this kind request imposed for our making a nice ambience for our guests and returned for dinner having changed. Maybe this part was missed and assumed that a different treatment has been offered.

We were so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time on the beach. Currently there is a charge for sunbeds and unbrellas since as already stated, this is not a hotels private beach -this is a fact and not a lie -and under contractual agreement there is a rent for that. We don’t usually like to make forthcoming statements but our aim is for next season to avoid cost for our guests and we’re working towards this goal.

As one of Corfu’s most preferred 4* resorts we feel that we have a unique and exceedingly high quality experience to offer guests. The Aquis Agios Gordios team does work as a team, and everyone bends over backwards to exceed our guests expectations and everyone takes pride in their hotel so thank you for expressing your sympathy but there is absolutely no reason to feel sorry about any member of our team .

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. However, we are of course disappointed as we were not able to offer you unforgettable holiday.

Reviewed 14 August 2011

we travel abroad two or three times a year and always consult trip advisor before we book has we find it a great way of getting peoples opinions on hotels.
we were very dissapointed with this hotel. we was assured by tomsons that all rooms had a sea view only to find that our room had the view of a very large tree and bushes. The entertainment in the hotel was very poor to the point one night they showed the film Dirty Dancing this was projected onto a white stone wall not even a proper screen, this was the nights entertainment. One night the hotel held a beach party at the beach bar this went on until 3 am with load music playing, we did not get much sleep that night.
The food in the hotel was very bland, one night if you did not like fish you struggled to find anything decent to eat. The allinclusive drinks are poor, you could drink all day and all night without any affect.
we stuck the hotels food and drink for three nights and after that we went down to the village for a decent meal and a NICE relaxing drink all at a reasonable price.
It is a great shame that this hotel did not meet our expectations because with a little more thought for customer needs it could be a great hotel.
It was my 50 birthday while I was way and although we made sure that it was a enjoyable day the whole adventure was very dissapointing.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ram028
Aquis, Head of Marketing- Aquis Hotels and Resorts at Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2011

Thank you for your straight remarks regarding your recent stay with us and we are honesty very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. In our property as stated on our website as well we offer two view options sea view and garden view, I cannot comment on the type allocated to your reservation since I have no further information however we do offer as well garden view.

Since we are adults only hotel, entertainment is light we are always interested to hear feedback from our guests on what they would enjoy to have in order to enhance our program.

Your comments regarding the food will be definitely shared with our F&B team however we do our best to satisfy all guests needs both in quality and variety. We are aware that individual tastes are not common, for example you may read in other reviews that do mention they would enjoy more fish while others staying at exactly the same property find that there is a lot fish in the buffet, rest assured that we are working continuously on our menus trying to offer the best options to our guests.

In contrast to what is been offered to most all inclusive resorts in the Mediterranean area, namely no label local spirits, Aquis offers apart from local drinks, one selected international brand for each one of the main spirits (whisky, gin, vodka, tequila and rum), all drinks in local brands and a selection of cocktails. The quality of our drinks is assured by the brands also to mention that our soft drinks as well are branded ie we only offer Coca Cola not any type of local Cola.

We really appreciate when guests share their experience, whether good or bad, with us. At Aquis Hotels and Resorts we need to continuously work on the improvement of our service and for this need to rely on the comments and suggestions of our guests since we recognize that small details are the ones that make us differ and help us improve the quality of our services.

We thank you for your feedback, we always consider well mannered criticism as an opportunity to improve our service standards, we certainly hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again in any of our properties