“"Warm & Welcoming"”
Review of New Emerald Cove

New Emerald Cove
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Anse la Blague
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

I had a beautiful experience. My room was opposite the beach. I walk down 10 steps and I reach the beach. The staff was very warm and welcoming! The property has a private beach on one side and a mountain the other side. The best part is they have 4 turtles and several cats. Food is good and if you love non-veg food you will love it. Although I eat only fish and eggs apart from vegetables but I loved it. If you book this property, book along with breakfast and dinner since there are no places nearby to eat and they serve delicious food.

A few suggestions for the hotel would be to replenish drinking water bottles everyday. They did it for the 1st day only, for the 2nd and 3rd day it was for a charge. Also would request then to replenish tea bags.

I was here for 4 days.
Day 1, I took rest after an international flight.
Day 2, I had been to 2 islands. It's mesmerizing and they cook some delicious lunch on barbecue. Hotel charged me 1550 S Rs.
Day 3, I had been to Praslin. I booked a self drive car and been through entire Praslin Island. I like to explore so I found it wonderful. You can book it yourself for around 40€ although I booked with the hotel for 60€.
Day 4, I had been to La Digue. It's again the 3rd biggest island and it's equally beautiful. You can hire a bicycle and see the whole island. It's a small island, cycling is not too tiring if like cycling and if you like to explore. Hotel charges me 450 S Rs. each.

I left the hotel on day 4 to Mahe Island and they let me check out at 6pm for free! They booked a car for 400 S Rs. but you can bargain one at the jetty for 250 S Rs.

I had booked this hotel via Agoda and booked a superior sea view room instead of a standard sea view room thinking superior meant a better sea view room. I shifted to standard on the day I visited but I am awaiting a refund for the difference from Agoda and I am hopeful they will.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 September 2017

Anyone wondering whether to opt for this hotel, and are put off by a couple of very negative comments, don't be! We have just spent 2 weeks at this lovely hotel complex and are sad to leave. Yes, the accommodation and common areas is somewhat tired and are shortly to be refurbished, but it is very clean and the staff here do an excellent job in making you feel welcome and comfortable. The beach is lovely and the pool large and set by the sea. The food, we thought , was excellent, different choices every evening, with always grilled fish and a meat option for a first course. We had a superior room which was huge compared to those rooms on the ground floor, and although I was at first disappointed not to have any outside space, I appreciated the spaciousness and powerful air conditioning. We enjoyed the trip to La Digue and snorkling off the beach at the resort. The shuttle boat service was efficient and we didn't experience any problems. The 4 giant tortoises and variety of birdlife were an added attraction. If you love a peaceful, no traffic noise setting, a very laid back relaxed atmosphere, this could be right for you.

Stayed: September 2017
1  Thank lesley2015986
Reviewed 4 August 2017

The welcome should have been nice but it was already pretty artificial. The room was small with no chair in it and the shower was just as tiny as on a sailing boat. The food was poor with no variety, we survived on fruits, rice and pasta. Additionally none of the excursions and activities we wanted to participate in took place, even though there should be a free guided snorkeling tour with a biologist every day and on their website they also advertise with multiple excursions. The price to hire snorkeling equippment is horrend and you pay per day. They write that they have 18 shuttle boats a day, but if you count one way and only the ones that dont need a reservation its seven per day, so you really have to time your plans. The beach was one of the poorest we saw in the Seychells, and in the months around July you have a lot of seagrass there because of the wind.
All in all the Seychelles are a nice place to stay, but definitely not in New Emerald Cove, especially not for this price!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Martina F
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

If one wants to experience piece, relaxation and some Robinson Crusoe's feelings, without being far from the town though, New Emerald Cove is the perfect choice.
To reach the resort one has to take a little boat which is complimentary from the resort itself. In less than 10 mins one can reach the resort. The architecture and the style of the bungalows are typical of the islands. We were assigned a cottage with ocean view. We left the shutters opened and could enjoy the powerful sound of the rough sea. It is such an amazing experience.
In line with the management's choice wifi is only available in the restaurant area. This is very relaxing. Once back in the accommodation one can enjoy the natural sounds of birds and the sea.
We enjoyed a trip organized by the resort itself and we went to Cousin Island, Curieuse and St Pierre. The trip was very well organized and it was absolutely amazing. They took care of us and were extremely kind.
The day after we went to La Digue by ferry from Praslin.
Our stay at Emerald Cove was wonderful. They arranged a cake for my husband's birthday. The staff is extremely careful and attentive. We could not ask for me.

Special thanks to Madame Catia who is the manager in charge. She is professional, attentive and very very kind.

Thanks

Simona, Italy

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2017

My wife and I recently spent a week at the New Emerald Cove, looking for some relaxation on our "babymoon" (my wife was 7 months pregnant at the time). Hopefully this review will provide some objective feedback and will address some of the comments in the less-than-favorable reviews.

THE LOCATION
Beautiful, secluded, and quiet. The New Emerald Cove is 15 minutes by water taxi from the Praslin ferry terminal, and faces toward Round Island (private) and La Digue further in the distance. Location is perfect for day trips to La Digue or excursions to other local islands, which are directly accessible from the resort itself. This is amazing, as you don't have to go back to the ferry terminal for a day trip to La Digue. The price is approx ~$40 USD per person round trip, and it takes about 20 minutes each way.

THE RESORT
The resort is beautiful and charming, in a "rustic" sort of way. Its meant to integrate into the landscape instead of stand out dramatically, which is nice because it feels like its own private island. Nearly everything is open-air, which means you need to be comfortable with geckos in your room and birds in the dining area. You can rent snorkel gear or kayaks for use in the reef area in front of the resort. Snorkeling is great, but you should watch out for local boats or the water taxi.

The resort also provides a small touch of the unique wildlife: there are four giant tortoises that live in the resort and can be fed fruit that's located around the grounds. Also, fruit bats come out every night which are fun to watch glide around the treetops. Aside from that, there are local birds, lizards, and ants, but not much else. We only saw one larger cockroach during our stay, which was surprising given their prevalence in tropical areas.

The staff was always smiling and friendly, and we always felt very welcome.

THE ROOM
We had a beachfront room, which was amazing. There was always a nice breeze, so we slept with the windows open. We didn't experience one mosquito the entire time we were at the New Emerald Cove, and the sounds of the waves crashing on the beach were tremendously relaxing.

The bed is very comfortable and the linens were always nice and clean. They completely replaced our sheets at least twice instead of just making up the bed. They also changed the towels every day, and provided toiletries.

The room is equipped with a mini fridge and plenty of storage. The bathroom is spacious, but the shower is quite small. This was my biggest criticism of the whole resort - the bathrooms are far too large to have such a small shower unit. Taller people (above 6 feet) or larger folks would have a really hard time taking a shower. Hopefully this is addressed in a remodel.

Each room has a nice patio area with furniture and a drying rack for towels and clothes. We hand-washed a lot of stuff and it dried wonderfully with the ocean breeze.

The room also features very effective AC and a regular fant, which may be used a bit to supplement the ocean breeze.

THE POOL
The pool is beautiful and is cleaned every day. It's quite large, and deep enough to dive and swim laps. It was extremely quiet during our trip, and never more than 2-4 other people were ever there. There's a lot of comfortable lounge chairs but the WiFi signal is very poor. Also, beach towels are provided upon check-in but it costs about $1.50 USD to replace them if they get dirty.

THE RESTAURANT
We were extremely pleased with breakfast and dinner each day, and highly recommend the half board booking. It's cheaper than paying for dinner separately, and you will rarely be away from the resort at that time of day. Lunch is offered a la carte which is great as we were gone during lunchtime for at least 3 days.

The food quality was excellent. This was a surprise as some others have given negative reviews, but we were pleasantly surprised. Every night for dinner there are many choices from grilled fish and meat to various types of salads. Fresh fruit, pasta, curries, and local creole dishes were always available, as were a nice rotation of desserts. Dishes were completely different every single day all week (I think there's a week rotation). Breakfast was standard continental, with fruit, crepes, eggs, bacon, coffee, juices, and pastries.

The staff does a great job at keeping everything very clean, from the tables to the food buffet area, especially considering the birds can fly in and out of the dining area.

ADVICE ON GETTING TO THE RESORT
This one was a bit of a challenge. Resort staff were unfortunately not very responsive via their online email inquiry (on their webpage), so we were a little stuck not knowing what to do when we arrived on Praslin. We learned that the best thing to do is to call the resort with your estimated arrival at the ferry terminal on Praslin, and they'll send the water taxi over. We waited 30 minutes when we first arrived.

RESORT PROS
The resort is beautifully peaceful and there are no sounds of traffic or noises except for the birds, the waves, and the occasional boat.
Low room count means the pool and other areas are never busy.
The food was very good.
The staff was extremely nice and accommodating.
Housekeeping did a great job every day at refreshing the room and replacing towels.
The boat tours to La Digue and other islands (Cousin, Curieuse, etc.) were fantastic! Highly recommend a tour through their service.

CONS
Shower is tiny and difficult to use.
The nickle-and-dime costs are a little annoying; paying to use the snorkel gear, paying for a clean beach towel, etc.
Communication to book the water taxi upon our arrival was not great.
WiFi was very slow and only available in the dining area or reception area. I'm not sure if they did this on purpose, but WiFi repeaters could improve the signal around the resort for a minimal cost.

Overall, we had a wonderful time at the New Emerald Cove. Hopefully they can address things like their bathrooms, and we look forward to returning in the future.

Room Tip: Get ocean front, it's worth any extra cost!