“Disappointment”
Review of New Emerald Cove

New Emerald Cove
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Anse la Blague
Reviewed 4 December 2017

We stayed 4 days at this hotel in November 2017. At arrival we we're welcomed very friendly by Catia, who showed us arround. All looked very fine from the outside. Untill we entered our "superior" room. There are little houses on the premises, each house is separated into 5 (!) rooms, 2 taher smallish rooms with veranda on the ground floor, 2 superior rooms (which are a bit bigger) and some kind of small room all the way in the top, and they are very noisy. I don't think the rooms are updated since the eighties, brown wooden floors, white walls and orange curtains and bedspreads. The bathroom is very small and has mirrors on all walls, why? The shower is suitable for a sailing boat, so very small one can't even turn in it, let allone shave your leggs if you wanted to. The mattresses are very, very hard. A good thing is that the rooms are very clean. The restaurant is quite nice, the food is the same every day but okay. The pool has no clear water and has very warm water. You can only get to the hotel by boat, you can take the boat to go to the main jetty of Praslin to do things, but if you wanted to have dinner elsewhere you're bound by time and you would have to take a taxi to a restaurant (which would cost you around 20 euro one way...). The staff is very friendly. Upon leaving we were told that the hotel is shutting down end of the month and staff didn't know if it was for renovation or for forever... I wouldn't recommend this hotel, I'd rather stay at the Cote d'Or side of the island.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 October 2017

The hotel can be reached by boat from Baie St. Anne, which may be an inconvenient if you want to be in the middle of things and reach Praslin easily. However, it is such an intimate location, with its private beach and a really good vibe, very different from what we got when we were on Praslin or Mahe. If you are looking for something more quiet, this is a good place.

The rooms are clean, they change the sheets and towels daily. But not being very well isolated, the air in the rooms tends to be humid and you may get lizards and other stuff in your room. We eventually got used to the lizards, but not to the fruit bats making noises all night long. If possible, pick a room facing the ocean or on the sides and avoid the rooms with a back garden view. Those bats are very nasty at night and you won't get a good night sleep. Each room has a terrace.

The staff is very friendly and helpful, and they helped book all sorts of trips for us (on La Digue, Praslin, boat tours etc.). The food is varied and delicious and they also serve 5 o'clock tea as a courtesy. They also have some giant tortoises and some cats, and the garden looks amazing.

If you are looking for something more underground, that gives you the feeling of an island-resort but is not so far away, this is a good place.

Room Tip: Avoid back garden rooms
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

I had a beautiful experience. My room was opposite the beach. I walk down 10 steps and I reach the beach. The staff was very warm and welcoming! The property has a private beach on one side and a mountain the other side. The best part is they have 4 turtles and several cats. Food is good and if you love non-veg food you will love it. Although I eat only fish and eggs apart from vegetables but I loved it. If you book this property, book along with breakfast and dinner since there are no places nearby to eat and they serve delicious food.

A few suggestions for the hotel would be to replenish drinking water bottles everyday. They did it for the 1st day only, for the 2nd and 3rd day it was for a charge. Also would request then to replenish tea bags.

I was here for 4 days.
Day 1, I took rest after an international flight.
Day 2, I had been to 2 islands. It's mesmerizing and they cook some delicious lunch on barbecue. Hotel charged me 1550 S Rs.
Day 3, I had been to Praslin. I booked a self drive car and been through entire Praslin Island. I like to explore so I found it wonderful. You can book it yourself for around 40€ although I booked with the hotel for 60€.
Day 4, I had been to La Digue. It's again the 3rd biggest island and it's equally beautiful. You can hire a bicycle and see the whole island. It's a small island, cycling is not too tiring if like cycling and if you like to explore. Hotel charges me 450 S Rs. each.

I left the hotel on day 4 to Mahe Island and they let me check out at 6pm for free! They booked a car for 400 S Rs. but you can bargain one at the jetty for 250 S Rs.

I had booked this hotel via Agoda and booked a superior sea view room instead of a standard sea view room thinking superior meant a better sea view room. I shifted to standard on the day I visited but I am awaiting a refund for the difference from Agoda and I am hopeful they will.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2017

Anyone wondering whether to opt for this hotel, and are put off by a couple of very negative comments, don't be! We have just spent 2 weeks at this lovely hotel complex and are sad to leave. Yes, the accommodation and common areas is somewhat tired and are shortly to be refurbished, but it is very clean and the staff here do an excellent job in making you feel welcome and comfortable. The beach is lovely and the pool large and set by the sea. The food, we thought , was excellent, different choices every evening, with always grilled fish and a meat option for a first course. We had a superior room which was huge compared to those rooms on the ground floor, and although I was at first disappointed not to have any outside space, I appreciated the spaciousness and powerful air conditioning. We enjoyed the trip to La Digue and snorkling off the beach at the resort. The shuttle boat service was efficient and we didn't experience any problems. The 4 giant tortoises and variety of birdlife were an added attraction. If you love a peaceful, no traffic noise setting, a very laid back relaxed atmosphere, this could be right for you.

Stayed: September 2017
1  Thank lesley2015986
Reviewed 4 August 2017

The welcome should have been nice but it was already pretty artificial. The room was small with no chair in it and the shower was just as tiny as on a sailing boat. The food was poor with no variety, we survived on fruits, rice and pasta. Additionally none of the excursions and activities we wanted to participate in took place, even though there should be a free guided snorkeling tour with a biologist every day and on their website they also advertise with multiple excursions. The price to hire snorkeling equippment is horrend and you pay per day. They write that they have 18 shuttle boats a day, but if you count one way and only the ones that dont need a reservation its seven per day, so you really have to time your plans. The beach was one of the poorest we saw in the Seychells, and in the months around July you have a lot of seagrass there because of the wind.
All in all the Seychelles are a nice place to stay, but definitely not in New Emerald Cove, especially not for this price!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Paradise Sun
#1 of 11 in Anse Volbert
4.5 km away
Coco de Mer - Black Parrot Suites
Coco de Mer - Black Parrot Suite...
#1 of 1 in Anse Bois de Rose
1.5 km away
Iles des Palmes
Iles des Palmes
#3 of 3 in Baie Ste Anne

Been to New Emerald Cove? Share your experiences!