New hotel..nice lobby..practices non-smoking policy.
Located in between Tesco Extra (hypermarket) and shop lots (McDonald's, KFC, Nasi Kandar, Chinese /Malay food). Basically this area nearby University Sains Malaysia (lotsa students and lecturers) ..so food outlets are everywhere :p
It's not exactly at Bayan Lepas area (where the airport is)..it's actually more to Gelugor area.
As it was the holiday season, there were quite a number of guests checking in. Front office staff were trying their best to accomodate but it didn't help when they were having some key card system issues (Guest unable to access to room/ unable to switch the electricity on after key card was placed on the card slot to ignite electeicy power in the room). But front office staffs are still smilling and try to maintain their cool which is good.
Please take note that during check in, a deposit of RM 100 (refundable upon check out) is required.
Checked into the Queen bed room (Venus Queen) at 3rd floor.
My impressions of the room:
- Very hot & stuffy when I walked into the room, aircond unit takes quite some time to cool the room (in fact, the room gets only cooler the next morning - the whole night was quite stuffy)
- Room are quite smaller than expected. (Approx. 16 steps from the entrance to the end of the room and approx. 12 steps for the space from the bed to the wall across the bed) / can be a bit claustrophobic to those who are used to sleeping in bigger rooms
- Room and bathroom is clean and furnishings are quite nice & modern for a budget hotel
- Clothe hangers, safe deposit box, hair dryer and an extra pillow is available in room
- Iron & ironing board is available upon request (Housekeeping team respond is quite fast )
- Free wifi is available in room but having trouble connecting to it that I gave up entirely and used my own data plan
- A note or label on the telephone to advise guest on the phone directory. Some guests may not know that by dialling '0' (zero) connects to the front desk.
It's a nice hotel but I would only book U Hotel again if there are no other hotels available around Bayan Baru area..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- U Hotel Penang in Bayan Lepas is a budget hotel in Penang and is about stylish and comfortable accommodation at affordable prices. Whether you're a budget business traveller, convention-goer or just here on holiday, we believe in providing an experience beyond the ordinary. Great customer service is one of our core values. We believe in a job well done and creating authentic connections with our guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your U Hotel Penang reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- U Hotel Penang Bayan Lepas