Springkell
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Gretna Hall(Gretna Green)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewsstately homeshared bathroomwedding venuegrounds are stunningextensive gardensthe main housewedding breakfastpanna cottadownton abbeylarge housepot holespeaceful surroundingsfabulous weddinglounge areason's weddingmanor houseold house
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Me and my partner stayed here a couple of nights ago, when we arrived we were greeted by a lovely man whose name I didn’t get, but he told us that we were the only guests staying in the hotel that night so we got a free upgraded which was fantastic! The room was lovely and spacious with amazing views, extremely comfy bed and lovely decor. My partner is very into running and the man on the front desk even drew him a map of where to run to! We decided to have dinner at the hotel that night as we weren’t in the mood for much more driving after coming up from near Manchester. However I am vegan and my partner is vegetarian and there wasn’t much on the menu, the man at the front desk told us not to worry and went to get the chef, he ended up putting together a lovely dinner for us and even doing a vegan risotto especially for us, the food was full of flavour and left us very satisfied. We stayed downstairs in the evening playing pool and table tennis and settling down on the sofa to watch some TV in the lounge area. We had breakfast there the next day which again didn’t disappoint it was lovely! We had a walk round the gardens before leaving and even had a go on a assault course they have in the grounds!!
All round was a fantastic stay the staff were more than accommodating even though we were the only ones there! Would 100% recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in the area!!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
JamesJF237, Owner at Springkell, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thanks so much for this lovely review. As you can tell we always try to go the extra mile if required! Just like your running partner. Glad you enjoyed your stay and of course do come again. With kindest regards, James at Springkell

Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

Unexpected and wonderful !
We were met by James Johnson-Ferguson the present owner of this beautiful old house. A really lovely personal touch, he showed us to our room on the ground floor.
The room as you can imagine was large with high ceilings and double windows overlooking extensive gardens.
An extra large very comfortable bed meant an extremely good night's sleep.
The bathroom was a wet room, a lovely hot shower with toiletries provided.
We ate here as well ... perfect ... the food was freshly prepared, very tasty and plentiful !
Breakfast didn't disappoint either, a full Scottish breakfast set us up for the day ahead.
The house is primarily a wedding venue but they do entertain bed and breakfast guests .... so please go !!
Relax, enjoy the peace and tranquillity and help to keep these beautiful old houses alive .... thankyou to James Johnson-Ferguson for making our stay so special!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
JamesJF237, Owner at Springkell, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Hi Debra, it was lovely to meet you both and do come again. Thanks for such a kind review and thank you too for taking the time to leave the review. I look forward to seeing you both again if I'm lucky! All the very best, James at Springkell

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

One of the most interesting and beautiful hotels I’ve ever stayed in. There was a sort of magic to the place with beautiful surroundings. The rooms were decorated to the highest of standards and every room was unique. This is a wedding venue so you are lucky if you can get a reservation for a stay. I took my partner and our two kids who were so comfortable and felt a bit like we were staying with a rich uncle. There was only a handful of guest staying and we had a whole wing of the house to ourselves! All the room doors were open to have a little look at and they all looked amazing. The surprise was the communal bathrooms but as it was quiet we actually had a choice of two huge bathrooms, one double shower room and the other the biggest roll top bath I’ve ever seen that the kids loved. There is no TV in the bedrooms but has excellent WiFi and two well equipped TV rooms. Our bedroom had a king size bed and the kids had their own 3 quarter beds and you could swing a highland cow in it, it was that big! The three course meal they offered was delicious and well presented and there was a choice of nuggets or cod bites for the kids which they loved. Breakfast did not disappoint either as it was excellent quality and was locally sourced. We had a wander around the gardens it which is recommended and the kids loved the rocking horse. We paid just £89 for a family of 4 with breakfast! It’s not often you get both luxury and value for money. I honestly can’t recommend this hotel enough.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 February 2018

Stayed for one night after a wedding nearby. Having read many great reviews I was expecting something special, but in all honesty that was not the case. It is an old house, and obviously a lot of money has been spent on it, but I have stayed in much better for a lot less than the £99 for b&b.
The room was spacious enough, the four poster bed was comfortable, nice robes were supplied, those were the plus points. The bathroom is not ensuite but further along a corridor. It was smart and clean, but no plug in the wash basin and one hand towel for two people.
The wardrobe in the room appeared antique, so too did the dust inside the wardrobe door.
The bar and lounge were adequate and reasonably comfortable. For me, and for my partner, breakfast was disappointing, bacon was overcooked and hard, sausage was also overdone, and I chose scrambled egg which could have been much hotter.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
JamesJF237, Owner at Springkell, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2018

Hi Richard, thank you for your comments. You did ask to upgrade to one of our Honeymoon Suites for your son's Wedding but sadly this was already booked. Even sadder was the fact that the guests who booked did not turn up.
I talked with you on the morning when you were having breakfast and as an owner, and I think I speak for all hotel owners, we are are always keen to hear if you have any comments. Anything at all as normally anything you are concerned about we can all usually fix straight away.
There were 12 of you in your party including your son, and now daughter in law who got married at Gretna before coming to Springkell. Having spoken to your whole Wedding Party you were all really happy with your stay at Springkell and I'm sad to receive this review from you. Especially the Bride and Groom who were very happy indeed.
When you arrived you did expect a free bottle of champagne for the bride and groom but we do not offer this service.
You were the only couple staying in the West Wing and you had a choice of 5 bedrooms to stay in - they are all different.
Rest assured that I will attend to each and every one of these comments.
Last year we served 4,000 breakfasts with no complaints but I'll talk to our head chef today and give him your feedback.
Once again thank you for taking the time to write these comments and by attending to each and every one of them I will try to ensure we don't get this type of criticism again.
All the best from all of us here at Springkell to the whole Elder family, with kind regards, James

Reviewed 12 February 2018 via mobile

We stopped here overnight to break a long journey and had dinner along with the overnight stay. The welcome was very warm - all of the staff were friendly and helpful. The dinner was good with large portions and good value for money (£30 For 3 courses for an adult; £20 for children). The rooms were beautiful and well equipped with warm bathrobes and slippers. We were in room 4 (a large family room) which had the minor disadvantage of having its bathroom across the corridor but that is just a reflection of the age of this beautiful building. Minor quibbles were that our bathroom didn’t have any toilet roll and we had to chase several times to get it restocked and the room was close to the kitchens so we probably wouldn’t have been able to retire early without being disturbed by noise. However, the breakfast was also delicious, and the table tennis table was a huge hit. If we had stayed longer, we would have loved to have explored the beautiful grounds. All in all, a great place to stay and one I would recommend.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
JamesJF237, Owner at Springkell, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2018

Many thanks for your kind review. We do try to be prompt with customer requests and I will have a meeting with those looking after you to ensure that does not happen again. Thanks once more and do come again!