“Just gets better ”

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Exton
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This is our favourite pub for supper. The menu has been changed so we tried something different, as always been a little hooked on their fabulous belly pork! But we had the lamb steak with feta & avocado and chutney plus chilli chips. Incredibly delicious unusual mix! We followed this with brûlée with rhubarb compote & granola and also sticky toffee pudding. Outstanding food and service as ever. Never fails to impress

1  Thank Joy B

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We dropped in here while on a circular walk from Old Winchester Hill Nature Reserve and were fortunate on a busy Saturday lunchtime to be given a 'window' between arranged bookings. It is a lovely country pub and after placing our orders we were provided with some of the home made bread. I have never tasted such beautiful bread although we make our own at home. It was possible to taste that liquorice flavour of fennel and this really does add to the flavour.

I opted for the small beer battered haddock, hand cut chips, mushy peas & homemade tartare sauce in the time available. It was clear upon serving that this was dining with a difference. When I have had tartare sauce at home it is straight from a jar bought at the supermarket. This was in a small pot and at first sight quite clearly homemade and tasted glorious. The batter was full of flavour and the fish quite evidently fresh.

A return visit will involve a round trip of about 80 miles but I think we will have to plan another walk on Old Winchester Hill and make a table reservation next time.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This was my third visit and each time I am impressed. Lovely country pub ambience, friendly efficient service and delicious food, not to mention it the homemade bread. Necessary to book lunchtimes and evenings.

1  Thank Barbara D
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We were passing through Exton on the South Downs Way walk. It was freezing and snowing outside so we popped in for lunch and it was definitely the right decision!

Whilst the forward is towards the pricey side it was all excellent. We ordered sandwiches and soup and whilst we were waiting for the food we were given some (free) bread and butter and it was honestly the best bread I’ve ever had. No wonder so many customers were ordering loaves to go.

1  Thank danieljamesparsons
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

My friend and I had a superb time in the Shoe.

There was a joyful ambiance in the pub because of the caring professional bar staff that made every effort to ensure we were well looked after.

I had pork belly which was outstanding.

The ale was also delicious.

Can’t wait to return!

Make sure you book well in advance.

1  Thank SeaViewParker