“As my wife said "Best Trip Ever"”

Culture Discovery Vacations - Day Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Half and full day cooking classes, winery excursions, olive mill tastings, and sightseeing excursions through Lazio, Tuscany & Umbria year round. All days start and end right in Soriano nel Cimino's main piazza.
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“As my wife said "Best Trip Ever"”
Reviewed 1 January 2012

My wife and I are world travelers, we have done Europe several years in a row via cruises. My wife never really travelled until we got married. After all of our travels, it became apparent to me that food and culture were 2 things we enjoyed about traveling abroad. For her 30th birthday, I was looking for ideas and came across Culture Discovery. After review of the site and talking with Michael, we booked the trip. We thoroughly enjoyed the staff, being in the culture from all facets from living in the town of Soriano to cooking with Carla and Rita. The staff made the trip very easy with regard to the itineraries, handling transportation to and from the airport, luggage, etc. This trip was very relaxing, educational, cultural, and fun. We met great people and really enjoyed cooking, wine drinking, and olive harvesting. As we got off the plane back in the States, my wife said this was her "best trip ever." We will be back next year.

Visited November 2011
2 Thank Brian B

Erie, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“An unforgettable, incomparable vacation experience that has given Italy a permanent place in our hearts.”
Reviewed 22 November 2011

My husband and I visited with several other couples from my family in September. The two months since our return has given me the perspective to truly reflect on what a unique and extraordinary experience Culture Discovery provides.

I read about how we'd be made to feel like family on our trip, and I didn't truly understand it until I experienced it firsthand. Believe me, it isn't just clever marketing. We were welcomed into the home of Michael and Paola (the main villa where all the cooking classes took place) and were made to feel completely comfortable and welcomed by sincere and warm Italian hospitality. Culture Discovery’s open-door, family-style approach of “the more the merrier” made a significant impression on me, and is something I’m making a concerted effort to replicate in our home and lives back in the States.

The CD staff is an international motley crew and is simply outstanding. The genuine passion and authenticity that they each impart made the trip even more unforgettable.

Our favorite part of the trip was by far the time spent at the villa during the cooking classes. I love to cook, and my husband just loves to eat; we were both more than pleased. The setting in the villa was comfortable and not overly structured. I’d compare it to the feeling of preparing big holiday meals with your own family – snacking, drinking wine and laughing along the way. I have already used many of the recipes we learned back home, to great results!

We also loved the day trips, and found learning more about the history of Italy and the region really enhanced our trip. You don’t have to participate in all of the excursions, but you definitely should to get the most value out of the trip. A word to the wise: if your vacations typically revolve around relaxing and lounging beachside (ours usually do, my husband is from Maui) this trip will exhaust you. This is fine, because you’ll be amazed by how much you can pack in to one week, but be ready for it.

One other lesson we learned: do plan to pack enough for an entire week. CD materials will tell you not to. You should still pack as lightly as possible, but do not plan to be able to do laundry. Some of the village homes have washing machines, but others don’t. Ours didn’t, and we opted to use the local laundry service in town, which turned out to be very expensive. Not a big deal, but good to know.

You will be absolutely blown away by the amount of food and wine you consume during the week. We were worried that the “all inclusive” title wouldn’t truly turn out that way, especially with booze, but boy were we wrong. We ate and drank ourselves silly – and every last bite and drop was delicious.

I have recommended this trip and Culture Discovery to countless people since our return, and already look back on it with such nostalgia that I know I’ll simply have to return for another visit with them at some point – perhaps in one of their new locations as they expand.

Visited September 2011
2 Thank Erin D
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“By far the most amazing time ever! You feel like your with family the entire time! And everything else is just an amazing reward”
Reviewed 21 November 2011

We booked this trip past in less three months and spending that much money is very scary! However I would not take one minute of that choice back. Absolutely Amazing and if I could re-live it everyday I would.

Thank you for such an amazing trip! Everyone hates when I talk about it because I can't shut up. It's been over a year.

If you can go you should!

1 Thank Swwman
Lakewood
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Worth every penny”
Reviewed 17 November 2011

This is the ultimate vacation. When they say all inclusive, they mean it. When they say it's like family, they mean it. The town of Soriano is precious, the accommodations are great. You can't imagine how much food there is to eat and wine to drink. Villa Edderella is beautiful but it's Michael and his family that make this trip memorable. Don't let the price keep you from this experience. It's so worth it! There is a fair amount of walking tho, so be cautious if you tire easily or have difficulty getting arond on uneven or steep surfaces.

Visited November 2011
2 Thank M S
Sarasota, Florida, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Everything I dreamed it would be....and more!!!!”
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I found this site 3yrs ago....took me that long to find someone to go with me.....however, now I know I could have gone as a solo and been just fine. We had a solo in our group and she was fine. Don't hesitate...this is everything you think/hope it is and more. From the airport pick-up onward, it was wonderful. Goodies were waiting on us in our "flat" and as we stood on the balcony drinking wine....I said...."wow is the real". Susan said.."if we don't do anything else, this is already worth it"....but there was much more to come. The entire staff, the accommodations, the tours the cooking....all amazing. We needed help with booking a flight to Paris....it was getting to be a pain, but Michael didn't give up, he made sure we got that done. Every detail was handled, large or small. We had some laundry done while there, it was delivered back to our flat wrapped and clean. I work for an airline and have traveled extensively, this is by far, one of the best vacation experiences I have ever had....very first class.
Book it now............you will NOT regret doing it.....you might regret NOT doing it!!!

Thanks CDV..........it was wonderful!!!!

Visited October 2011