“Great place an hour from the Winnipeg Airport.”

South Beach Casino and Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scanterbury
Reviewed 4 October 2011

We had a wonderful stay at the South Beach. All hotel, casino and restaurant staff were professional, polite and helpful. The hotel was bright and decorated with a Florida theme. The beds were very comfortable, in fact, my mother in law raved about the pillows. The pool is larger than most hotel pools and has lots of windows. There was no hot tub but I didn't miss it.

We ate at the restaurant for breakfast, which was included with our room, and once for the international buffet and once for the Thursday seafood buffet. We enjoyed the meals. Although the buffet is not huge, it had everything we needed. The seafood buffet included cocktail shrimp, cod, bbq salmon, cold mussells, & scallops. Crab and lobster were brought to the table separately. It was a little busy on Thursday as would be expected, and therefore the service was just a tad slow, but our waiter was running himself ragged, so maybe they were short-staffed. Also, there was no other protein other than fish and seafood so if you do not like fish, I would recommend another restaurant.

The casino was a lot of fun and the majority of slots are penny machines. There was a pop dispenser with free pop and cold water. There was also a Van Houtte coffee system with coffees and hot chocolate for all tastes and all for free. Alberta could take a few tips from this casino.

Our stay was marvelous and I would recommend this hotel to any of my friends.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 September 2011

we wanted to get away on a sunday night and was looking for something different, we booked the delux king suite for $209 plus we got the $30 play and stay pack which gave us by one get one dinner buffet, free breakfast buffet and 2 buy $25 dollars get $10 money to play with. The king suite was a smoking room (we requested) that could sleep 4 adults comfortably with 2 tvs a jaquzzi tub and kitchen area with a mini fridge, cupboards, and bar sink. (the room was huge). front desk, security, casino, and wait staff were fantastic opening doors wishing you a good morning, all around a great experience. (we won enough money to pay for the night and the stay was pretty much free,, we are not big spenders) :)

Room Tip: if you get the smoking rooms the windows don't open, so the room did really smell stale. (but...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jules23797
Reviewed 31 July 2011

I have stayed here a few times already and never had any issues. The $59.00 Sunday-Thursday is a steal. The rooms, nice and big, same with the bathroom, very big. Getting free Breakfast buffets are awesome and I have never had an issue with the food. The pool is really nice and is never busy which I like, although I wouldn't mind a hot tub to soak in. The beds are nice and comfortable, like sleeping on a cloud. The flat screen televisions are nice and you can even bring a game system to play on it. Although I would agree it could use more channels. The high-speed internet works great but I always brought my own Ethernet cable. The best part of my stay is spending it with my girlfriend and having fun gambling/winning. I plan to stay here more and more when I want a quick get away from the city. Just wanted to mention that I laughed pretty good at the stray dog comment, I have never seen any dogs when i went, are you sure it wasn't wolves?

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Dorian88
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Me and my lady decided to get out of our day to day lives for some quiet intimate time somewhere fun that we could come and go. We stayed here as it was close enough to be inexpensive but far enough to let us relax.

The casino and hotel looks decent from outside. We stayed for 2 nights, and the rate was completely fair.

So we got up to our room - heard some complaints about house keeping, but we found the room was very nice and tidy. The beds were comfortable and we liked the window view. Nice little touch, the blinds keep the room nice and dark until you want to let the sunlight in. We didn't use the TV but it looked pretty nice.

Word of caution. They advertise mini fridges and free internet; you have to ask for a network cable at the front desk and also ask them to bring up a mini fridge if you want one. The AC in the room works perfectly, but you can definitely make it too cool in a hurry.

Bathrooms in the room were clean, but they have a dated feel. The tub and shower were ok, but the shower head lacks water pressure and the tub isn't really functional for intimate or romantic uses. Not even comfortable for the ladies to use bath salts, bubbles and relax in. This could be easily renovated for better appeal for couples; a simple walk in shower or deeper and wider tub would fix it.

Didn't get to see the pool - but they have a nice touch in that it is adults only from 10-11pm. I'd like to see these hours until 1am though personally, we might have got some use then. They also are in dire need of a hot tub.

Casino games were ok. The slot machines can be very tight; there were a couple machines I love to play in vegas here. Not one of them paid out on even close to the same consistency or level - I like to be able to win small ammounts and keep my money going for a couple hours. Unless you get lucky with a bonus round you won't do that here.

Table games were great. They have some great, friendly dealers and pit bosses. Blackjack tables were quite fair, and unlike other Casinos in MB, this location deals two cards to the dealer in the first round and can check for blackjack right off the hop. I prefer to play this style! They also have some other great table games, and the roulette is single 0 wheels. I did not partake in the poker tournament, but she did, and had a blast.

The walk from the hotel elevators to the casino is longer than I'd like, they should have put the ballrooms more to the back to shorten the distance.

I strongly urge you to consider going somewhere else for food. EVERY review we read warning us of the food quality was right. The ladies serving during the breakfast buffet were great, but the food quality itself was lacking. The Blue Dolphin lounge has some good drink service, but this is the only area in the casino where you can consume alcohol. The food there is typical lounge lizard fare; I tried a couple things for dinner in here as the breakfast scared me off the buffet, and I was significantly less than impressed or pleased by my meal here too.

The only food worth your time is the sandwich and muffin bar in the Hotel lobby; go across the street, into grand marais or selkirk if you want a good sit down meal, or bring a cooler.

House keeping was great to us - we were going to try room service the second evening, assuming the service would compare, but after our experience at breakfast we avoided doing so.

Points club here adds up deceivingly slow and you don't really get much of anything unless you come often and gamble lots, we found.

This is the best casino in Manitoba, in my opinion, with good prices for over night stays. Value for your money is reasonable, but I expect my stay not to require driving off site to find a decent meal.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Yogeshi
Reviewed 19 May 2011

I had heard a lot of positive comments about this casino resort, but still had some reservations, as we don't enjoy the gambling experience. We booked a standard king hotel room on the 5th floor for a Saturday night and were meeting friends there and going to see the free entertainment in the lounge. The band, Free Ride, was very entertaining and we sat in the lounge and had a few drinks while enjoying the music. All the staff members we encountered were extremely friendly and professional (just what you'd expect in Manitoba!). The rooms were just top notch and for the price, a real deal. The colors and interior decorating in the hotel are gorgeous. Bed was so comfy and linens very clean and crisp. Our fridge wasn't working when we got there, but the front desk sent up a service man right away and he brought us a brand new one. The hotel walls and floors are quite noise proof and we had a great rest that night. There's a great breakfast buffet that you can get into downstairs (just make sure you do so before 10am or they'll charge you for the lunch buffet). Overall the experience was very positive and we'll definitely be going back. One really neat thing about this place is the location which is right in the middle of nowhere (actually it's on reserve land). From our 5th floor window we could see for miles and there was absolutely no sign of civilization. We could even see Lake Winnipeg. Incredible view!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AJLady

Been to South Beach Casino and Resort? Share your experiences!