“Continues to be very good”
Review of Highfield Hotel

Highfield Hotel
Reviewed 16 August 2017

This was our second time here and our 2 night stay was very good. The staff here are friendly. The rooms are comfortable, and have a decent bathroom with a good shower. Breakfast was good with a reasonable choice of cooked items, although it was a pity the croissants were pre packed. All in all a good stay at a very reasonable price

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Visaman1

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

This was a place I would visit when I lived in the area 12 yrs ago so was pleased to return recently.
The food was really nice with quite a large menu to choose from. I must admit it's looking a little tired and the bar was full of workmen taking advantage of the cheap bed and breakfast it offers.
I would certainly eat here again although eating here is not such a special occasion as it was.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kaymarie H
Reviewed 26 July 2017

Needed a bed for two nights as visiting family in the vicinity. Never stayed here before but was pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure why I was not expecting very much, maybe just my own prejudices, but it did the job very well indeed.

Its an older property and still laid out in an older, less "modern hotel" style. But the decor is kept up-to-date and in good decorative order, is clean and functional. The rooms are also comfortable and although the ones of the front overlook the dual carriageway (really close), when the windows are closed, the sound insulation is very good. Also, notwithstanding the dual carriageway, the hotel does sit quite high in the nearby surroundings, so you do actually get a good view to the north over pleasant countryside, at least up to the Penshaw Monument.

Breakfast is in the associated Thai Restaurant facilities and a cooked to order meal is available. It is also good quality.

No complaints at all for a solid and competent hotel.

Room Tip: Best views are to the front.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank George R
Reviewed 17 July 2017

We booked 2 rooms for an overnight stay at this hotel, unfortunately one room had to be cancelled. My son's partner explained this to a receptionist (we gave plenty of notice) and was told to speak to the manager on arrival and he would sort something out, both rooms were paid for at the time of booking and nothing was mentioned about a non-refundable deposit. I spoke to the manager/owner, Charlie, who was really abrupt with me, and wasn't bothered about the £88 that had already been paid for a room that wasn't used. All he was bothered about was getting the name of the staff member who told us to speak to Charlie in the first place and then he would take it out of that person's wages. He wasn't prepared to do anything else until he found this out.
He was straight to the point and not very nice about it. We wont be staying again. Also I could have got the rooms on line cheaper rather than speak to a receptionist at this hotel. I am really annoyed and angry about his manner and the non way he dealt with things. Wont be staying again.

Room Tip: Don't stay
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank relphfamily
charlee141, Owner at Highfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2017

Hello and thank you for your review. We did indeed have two rooms reserved. The room type which was booked was a non-refundable room type and as such any cancellations would have been subject to the full cost of stay. These reservations were not actually made directly with the property but with booking.com and as such we have no involvement in the reservation process. The confirmation should clearly state that the room type was non-refundable and that any cancellations would incur the full cost of stay.

I don't believe I was abrupt or "not very nice" at all. we do have cancellation policies which are there to protect the hotel should a guest cancel late or not show. Obviously, at 6pm in the evening on the day of arrival, there is very little chance for us to resell the room. As you stated you had apparently spoken to a receptionist whom had agreed to a full refund on a non-refundbale reservation on the day of arrival which is against our company policy and extremly out of the ordinary for any hotel employee to do this without speaking to myself. Firstly because the room type is non-refundable and secondly because any cancellations would have had to be processed by booking.com

As I stated at the time I was happy to honor this but it was important for us to find out who had given this information, all we needed was a date of the phone call and an approximate time. I also stated at the time that I would come back to yourself in the morning. I did attempted to contact yourself on sunday morning and later this week to follow up.

I'm sorry to hear that you would not stay with us again but unfortunatly in the situation I am not sure what more we could have done. We have offered an option to resolve your issue which I beleive to be extremly fair.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Just 10 minutes out of Durham, it is easily accessible from the city centre and motorway. Perfect. Its car park is an asset: we were 'truckers' with a Luton van to decamp our student son's / partner's flat contents down south. Arrived just before midnight: well received by the night staff and thence in the morning to a goodly breakfast at the right price.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Val R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houghton-le-Spring
5.6 km away
8.2 km away
Premier Inn Newcastle (Washington) Hotel
11.3 km away
Travelodge Sunderland High Street West

Been to Highfield Hotel? Share your experiences!