“OMG AMAZING”
Review of The Slate

The Slate
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Nai Yang
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This may have been the best hotel we have ever stayed at. Ever. Period.
The food is fantastic. The drinks are fantastic. The service is fantastic.
Three pools so you can hang out with the kids, quiet adult time, or music and cocktail adult only pool.
DO NOT miss dinner at Black Ginger. TO DIE FOR!
Nicest place to date!!!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MTNKRISTIN
PaulJordaan, General Manager at The Slate, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear MTNKRISTIN,

Thank you for your review - we are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your time with us immensely.

We are so proud of our team and very pleased to know that you loved Black Ginger a must do while in Phuket.

Hope to have the opportunity to impress you again!

There are newer reviews for The Slate

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Last day of my 14 night family holiday and thought I would share my musings.

The decor and design is well documented as unique and stunning and is a real one off. The hotel is actually over 30 years old with a chef who has been here for 20 years.

Overall the industrial decor hides a lack of maintenance or need for an upgrade as it is of that style. The general maintenance is excellent however with the exception of the kids pool - the grout and tiles throughout it are coming away. I stubbed my foot as did my kids! The pool attendants at the children's pool are really friendly - free water and occasionally lollies. Chocolat is real character but everyone was happy to help. The pool food is good - cost of duck wraps and chips plus a smoothie is roughly £12 a head and very good.

The two adult pools by contrast are state of the art infinity pools which are superb- over 14 and over 16's - respectively both are very quiet.

Restaurants in the hotel are good - we only managed to eat at the Tin Mine so far which is the breakfast area. I thought the menu was too limited however and had quite a bit of tandoori style and a bit of Thai. It lacked burgers for adults / other international dishes that you would normally find in this main area restaurant. Price for two smallish adult meals and two smallish children's mains with drinks £110. Food was excellent quality.

Room service has it all and is very good.

We are visiting the Jewel in the crown tonight the Black Ginger which is supposed to be first class - will update.

We are in D-Buck room - a two double bedded affair with my 13 and 10 year old kids. Room is big enough and overall excellent. A big negative is the sliding door to the toilet which leaves a big gap and a lot to be desired privacy wise - especially if you get hit with a tummy upset which two of us did.

The cleaning was excellent and nothing too much trouble - the cups were washed in the room sinks and appeared to be rinsed rather than sanitised which is something worth looking into for into for management to avoid cross contamination.

The beach has been rightly criticised by some for the rubbish left on it. This is really not a beach resort and the gates closing it off reflect this in deeds and I guess attitude.

I agree with a previous reviewer that this could be easily and cheaply addressed to the hotels and its guests benefit by a daily clean up. The rubbish is just plastic bottles etc washed up and re washed up as never cleared by anyone. The hotel and the Marriott further along have an army of ground staff tending the amazing gardens. A few hours or even an hour with ten staff would sort it in a week or two probably permanently.

It may be that if the beach was too nice then more customers would frequent the beach bars and Restaurants rather than the hotels one but maybe I am being too cynical.

The beach however is a belter - a real beach with lots of kite surfing. Many have said it is too shallow to swim which is nonsense. It is relatively shallow but this is good as there a few of the rip tides that Karon et al suffer. I visited these and they were deep shelf and had crashing waves - great fun but not for the faint hearted.

It is fair to say that very few spend much time from the hotel on the beach for the day as unlike say the Centata Grand it isn't open / linked. If you are a hotel / beach dweller it might not be for you.

Outside the hotel there are some bars, restaurants and beach bars and four or five massages, some stalls, trinket shops a good chemist and 3 mini marts. A stretch of say 200 meters - piques the interest but hardly a night out to be had. Phen's restaurant is excellent and beachside £60 and in for 4 with drinks.

The concierge lady from Ireland is excellent and very helpful. Sorted out a trip to white water raft and elephant care and a hire car. A South African chap helped plan our hire car trip - all beaches, Buddha, Phuket old town market and temples - great.

Breakfast is excellent - only criticism is they take you plates from a breakfast and leave your egg soiled knives and forks on you napkin for use with fruit etc! Urghh! Surely clean cutlery every time should be delivered in such an establishment. If they tried this in my local greasy spoon I would think it disgusting.

Some have mentioned poor English. Whilst it is true some of the staff have a better grasp than others it is on the whole excellent and more than acceptable. I didn't experience any attitude other than a smiley demeanour from anyone. Also the English are not the predominant people her. You have a vast mixture from all over Asia, Russia and Europe.

We arrived at 9am and our room was not ready so they let us have a temporary one. Use the shower, free water and bedclothes- very good and not anticipating and boy did we snooze.

The Manageress is a lady who greeted us on arrival and was very hands on and polite - often you find that the leaders show the way and this seems to be one of the reasons if not the main reason for the places overall success.

I did hear that the owner also visits weekly too and his daughter too - it all helps.

So overall is it a five star hotel. It is a 5 star in terms of a UK Marriott or Hilton at the top of their game and facilities. It is not a Landmark, W1 or its Ilk. It is certainly not a Shelm El Shek pseudo 5 Star but the real deal.

Recommended - most certainly but horses for courses so research well.

If you like getting drunk and loud music by the pool then this one is best to avoid. If you enjoy a quiet classy place reading about Kidson then it maybe it might be.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank OwnerReplies

Dear OwnerReplies,

Thank you for the sensational review and the special mention to Maria our concierge lady from Ireland.
We have taken on all your comments on board and will see where we can continue to improve our guest experiences.
It is our mission to ensure that our guests have a memorable time while staying with us.
Again, thank you for choosing The Slate, and we hope to be at your service once again.

Paul Jordaan

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I'm here for iMedia Aug 2017 event. Happened to didn't bring my namecard. With the location, get to the print shop or ask them to deliver will be very difficult.

They ended up route me to K.Gam, the business office lady who was very helpful and sharp. I sent my corporate namecard file and have them print out just on time.

They deliver it to me in front of my colleagues, one of them also forgot to bring his. Also ask them to print out for him.

Room is superb... just unfortunate as a workout guy, my room is a bit far from fitness.
Also, during this season it always rain. The rain kills the party mode of this kind of event where some of us might want to go explore Phuket night out after the function. So you need to plan different alternatives ahead, as the hotel is quite a while from downtown.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Champkris

Dear Khun. Champkris,

A grateful thank you for your lovely feedback.

We are so proud of our team and very pleased to know that you got your name card in the end. I will pass your good comment to Khun Gam. Next time when you come and stay with us let us know and we will find you a room close to the fitness centre.

We hope we may have the pleasure to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

Just returned home after a fantastic relaxing holiday at The Slate ... Firstly off all I would like to thank all the staff for making myself and my girlfriend so welcome and nothing was too much trouble . Our special thanks go to Maria at the concierge desk who was so helpful and also to the staff at Pool 2 .
The hotel is truly a great example of modern design with every detail taken to the limits of beauty and simplicity. There is so much to discover in the hotel that after 5 days we were still discovering new things.
Bedroom was spacious and very well designed with it being cleaned twice a day ... Breakfast was fabulous at the Tin Mine and a simply fabulous dinner at the Rivet & Rebar.
Spent most of the days logging at the Pool Bar which was simply sublime.
Just outside was the beach which is not up to the standard of the hotel my only suggestion is that all the local businesses get together to organize regular cleaning which would make a difference.
The village has a great selection of mini markets , restaurants all worth a visit.
At the Slate the whole package is fabulous and we are already contemplating what our dates will be next year !!!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard B

Dear Richard B

Great to hear you and your girlfriend had a relaxing holiday.

Delightful to learn that you enjoyed your time with us immensely.
We are so proud of our team and very pleased to know that you enjoyed all the activities in the resort. The design os the resort is to reflect Phuket's rich past in a Avant-garde way. We will take your great suggestion on board regarding the beach clean.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community – hope we will be welcoming you back in the not-too-distant future.

Reviewed 12 August 2017

We have just returned from a truly wonderful 10 day stay at The Slate, the resort was perfect for our family and I cannot recommend it enough.

We stayed in a one bed suite which was ideal for our family (2 children aged 5 and 2), it was great to have a separate living room, our eldest had his own little room in the ginormous walk-in wardrobe and the master bedroom was a great size. The balcony was massive and a great place to sit out and enjoy a few drinks once our children were in bed. The room comes with a butler service which was fabulous, Khun Ei and Khun Rena were such friendly hosts and so helpful arranging trips, restaurant bookings and recommendations and local advice. They always came over to say hello whenever they saw us in the resort and Khun Rena even came over to greet us at a local restaurant when she saw us on her day off! In fact all the staff at The Slate were exceptionally friendly and helpful and made us feel so welcome.

There are three pools in the resort but having two young children we only made use of the family pool. The pool is amazing! Perfect for all ages. The service by the pool is also excellent and the prices are very reasonable for a 5 star hotel. My boys particularly enjoyed the free ice lollies that were handed out throughout the day.

We tried all the restaurants throughout our stay and all were very good. The breakfast was lovely in Tin Mine as was the dinner. The Egg soup at Tin Mine was one of the strangest yet most delicious soups I have tasted! For my birthday we dined at Black Ginger which was a wonderful experience, the restaurant is gorgeous and we enjoyed the little 'ferry trip' across the water to get there. The food was amazing and again very reasonably priced for a 5* restaurant! Another bonus of The Slate for families with young children is the fact that children under 7 eat for free! My kids loved the food in the restaurants and I found that the kids menu was varied and provided local and healthier options as well as the usual chicken and chips!

Outside of the hotel there are a lot of local restaurants and bars as well as mini marts, beach gear and souvenir shops. As previous reviews have stated, the beach isn't the cleanest which is a shame but we still found it a lovely place to sit out and watch the beautiful sunsets while our children spent hours playing in the waves and building sandcastles.

Overall this was the perfect resort for us and I would highly recommend it if like us you are looking for a beautiful family friendly hotel with great facilities, good food, close to the airport and away from the madding crowds. We will definitely be going back!

Room Tip: The one bedroom suites are great for families.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank ellesekay

Dear ellesekay,

Thank you so much for celebrating your birthday with us. It has made my day to know our guest had a perfect time while staying at The Slate Phuket.

Indeed our 1 bedroom suites are great for young families and great to know you also enjoyed some adult time on the massive balcony while the children are in bed. We will pass you special mentions to Khun Ei and Khun Rena I am sure they will be so pleased to know you had such great time and loved all our facilities.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor and see you again next time!

Warm Regards,

Amari Phuket
#2 of 328 in Patong
1.3 km away
Phuket Marriott Resort and Spa, Nai Yang Beach

Been to The Slate? Share your experiences!