US$52
US$168
US$60
US$39
US$38
Naiyang Discovery Beach Resort(Nai Yang)(Great Value!)
US$35
US$20
US$54
US$33
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Chez Charly Bungalow(Nai Yang)(Great Value!)
US$28
US$23
Agoda.com
US$25
US$16
Hotels.com
Ideo Phuket Guesthouse(Nai Yang)(Great Value!)
US$26
US$22
Priceline
3,990 results
All reviewstin mineblack gingerindigo pearladult poolsd buk suitebeach clubfamily pooltin miningpearl bed suitecoqoon spaswim up barcooking classmoo's kitchentongkah tin syndicateindustrial designtennis courtsour honeymoon
Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

Having been developed by a wealthy family with a long and rich heritage in Phuket Island's rich tin mining history I had high expectations of this resort, and the staff here will go well beyond the call of duty to not disappoint.

Rich deposits of tin were discovered generations ago on layers of Slate and so the link to this heritage with The Slate resort theming its entire property on the Island's tin mining past is a delightful excuse to present luxury with some quirky decor. No doubt an architectural and decorating challenge, the resort owners gave what appears to be great scope for the design and construction team to bring this to life. I love the sculptures, the landscaping, the furnishings and fittings that embrace the story and bring it to life.

But if you have little interest in the story the resort can tell you will still be impressed by the service, the luxury and grandeur of the property. The family owners have been in the resort game in Phuket since the very beginning and perfected the art of service over more than 50 years. This family love their island home and clearly get a thrill in brining the best of the place to their visitors.

It's 5 stars, it deserves every one of them. We stayed in a pool suite and felt like royalty. I certainly hope I'll find an excuse to be back soon.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank 825Pete
PaulJordaan, General Manager at The Slate, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2017

Dear 825Pete,

Delighted to see this sensational review .

Thank you very much for noticing our unique property and bespoke services. It is true our owners love the island and it's interpreted by introducing Phuket's past and present in a avante garde way. this is something we are very proud of. It is a pleasure to read this wonderful review and to know our guest took interest in the history of the Island and the resort.

We hope we may have the pleasure to welcome you again in the near future.

Paul Jordaan

Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

5 stars is not enough to describe the way we were looked after at The Slate.

Hubby was at a conference and I got to enjoy the grounds and the beach just outside the gates.

I found the staff courteous and helpful. Never did I feel unsafe.

The beach outside was great to run on and I had a daily massage with the "therapist's" outside (300 B instead of 3000 B offered in the resort)

Our rooms were kept clean and the choices of pools wonderful

I would not hesitate to come back here again

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sandi D

Dear Sandi D,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

Glad to know you enjoyed your time here while your husband is busy at the conference. The beach is indeed a great spot for a daily run and nice know you tried the activities offered by our hotel during your stay – hope we will be welcoming you back in the not-too-distant future.

Reviewed 17 August 2017

This may have been the best hotel we have ever stayed at. Ever. Period.
The food is fantastic. The drinks are fantastic. The service is fantastic.
Three pools so you can hang out with the kids, quiet adult time, or music and cocktail adult only pool.
DO NOT miss dinner at Black Ginger. TO DIE FOR!
Nicest place to date!!!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MTNKRISTIN

Dear MTNKRISTIN,

Thank you for your review - we are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your time with us immensely.

We are so proud of our team and very pleased to know that you loved Black Ginger a must do while in Phuket.

Hope to have the opportunity to impress you again!

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

Last day of my 14 night family holiday and thought I would share my musings.

The decor and design is well documented as unique and stunning and is a real one off. The hotel is actually over 30 years old with a chef who has been here for 20 years.

Overall the industrial decor hides a lack of maintenance or need for an upgrade as it is of that style. The general maintenance is excellent however with the exception of the kids pool - the grout and tiles throughout it are coming away. I stubbed my foot as did my kids! The pool attendants at the children's pool are really friendly - free water and occasionally lollies. Chocolat is real character but everyone was happy to help. The pool food is good - cost of duck wraps and chips plus a smoothie is roughly £12 a head and very good.

The two adult pools by contrast are state of the art infinity pools which are superb- over 14 and over 16's - respectively both are very quiet.

Restaurants in the hotel are good - we only managed to eat at the Tin Mine so far which is the breakfast area. I thought the menu was too limited however and had quite a bit of tandoori style and a bit of Thai. It lacked burgers for adults / other international dishes that you would normally find in this main area restaurant. Price for two smallish adult meals and two smallish children's mains with drinks £110. Food was excellent quality.

Room service has it all and is very good.

We are visiting the Jewel in the crown tonight the Black Ginger which is supposed to be first class - will update.

We are in D-Buck room - a two double bedded affair with my 13 and 10 year old kids. Room is big enough and overall excellent. A big negative is the sliding door to the toilet which leaves a big gap and a lot to be desired privacy wise - especially if you get hit with a tummy upset which two of us did.

The cleaning was excellent and nothing too much trouble - the cups were washed in the room sinks and appeared to be rinsed rather than sanitised which is something worth looking into for into for management to avoid cross contamination.

The beach has been rightly criticised by some for the rubbish left on it. This is really not a beach resort and the gates closing it off reflect this in deeds and I guess attitude.

I agree with a previous reviewer that this could be easily and cheaply addressed to the hotels and its guests benefit by a daily clean up. The rubbish is just plastic bottles etc washed up and re washed up as never cleared by anyone. The hotel and the Marriott further along have an army of ground staff tending the amazing gardens. A few hours or even an hour with ten staff would sort it in a week or two probably permanently.

It may be that if the beach was too nice then more customers would frequent the beach bars and Restaurants rather than the hotels one but maybe I am being too cynical.

The beach however is a belter - a real beach with lots of kite surfing. Many have said it is too shallow to swim which is nonsense. It is relatively shallow but this is good as there a few of the rip tides that Karon et al suffer. I visited these and they were deep shelf and had crashing waves - great fun but not for the faint hearted.

It is fair to say that very few spend much time from the hotel on the beach for the day as unlike say the Centata Grand it isn't open / linked. If you are a hotel / beach dweller it might not be for you.

Outside the hotel there are some bars, restaurants and beach bars and four or five massages, some stalls, trinket shops a good chemist and 3 mini marts. A stretch of say 200 meters - piques the interest but hardly a night out to be had. Phen's restaurant is excellent and beachside £60 and in for 4 with drinks.

The concierge lady from Ireland is excellent and very helpful. Sorted out a trip to white water raft and elephant care and a hire car. A South African chap helped plan our hire car trip - all beaches, Buddha, Phuket old town market and temples - great.

Breakfast is excellent - only criticism is they take you plates from a breakfast and leave your egg soiled knives and forks on you napkin for use with fruit etc! Urghh! Surely clean cutlery every time should be delivered in such an establishment. If they tried this in my local greasy spoon I would think it disgusting.

Some have mentioned poor English. Whilst it is true some of the staff have a better grasp than others it is on the whole excellent and more than acceptable. I didn't experience any attitude other than a smiley demeanour from anyone. Also the English are not the predominant people her. You have a vast mixture from all over Asia, Russia and Europe.

We arrived at 9am and our room was not ready so they let us have a temporary one. Use the shower, free water and bedclothes- very good and not anticipating and boy did we snooze.

The Manageress is a lady who greeted us on arrival and was very hands on and polite - often you find that the leaders show the way and this seems to be one of the reasons if not the main reason for the places overall success.

I did hear that the owner also visits weekly too and his daughter too - it all helps.

So overall is it a five star hotel. It is a 5 star in terms of a UK Marriott or Hilton at the top of their game and facilities. It is not a Landmark, W1 or its Ilk. It is certainly not a Shelm El Shek pseudo 5 Star but the real deal.

Recommended - most certainly but horses for courses so research well.

If you like getting drunk and loud music by the pool then this one is best to avoid. If you enjoy a quiet classy place reading about Kidson then it maybe it might be.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank OwnerReplies

Dear OwnerReplies,

Thank you for the sensational review and the special mention to Maria our concierge lady from Ireland.
We have taken on all your comments on board and will see where we can continue to improve our guest experiences.
It is our mission to ensure that our guests have a memorable time while staying with us.
Again, thank you for choosing The Slate, and we hope to be at your service once again.

Paul Jordaan

Reviewed 15 August 2017

I'm here for iMedia Aug 2017 event. Happened to didn't bring my namecard. With the location, get to the print shop or ask them to deliver will be very difficult.

They ended up route me to K.Gam, the business office lady who was very helpful and sharp. I sent my corporate namecard file and have them print out just on time.

They deliver it to me in front of my colleagues, one of them also forgot to bring his. Also ask them to print out for him.

Room is superb... just unfortunate as a workout guy, my room is a bit far from fitness.
Also, during this season it always rain. The rain kills the party mode of this kind of event where some of us might want to go explore Phuket night out after the function. So you need to plan different alternatives ahead, as the hotel is quite a while from downtown.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Champkris

Dear Khun. Champkris,

A grateful thank you for your lovely feedback.

We are so proud of our team and very pleased to know that you got your name card in the end. I will pass your good comment to Khun Gam. Next time when you come and stay with us let us know and we will find you a room close to the fitness centre.

We hope we may have the pleasure to welcome you again in the near future.