“Unbelievable stay during our Honeymoon”

Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
Ranked #16 of 137 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Let me first just start with this... WOW! This place was awesome! I actually never offer up reviews online (I guess that's kinda selfish of me) but I really feel the need to review Centara Grand in Karon Beach. My wife and I stayed here in begining of Decemeber 2011. We stayed in the The Club, room with jacuzzi tub, for a total of 7 days. Initially we had planned on only staying for 4 days but extended our trip after the first day because we loved the place so much. We had a corner room on top floor! This place is right on the beach. The beach is awesome, big, not crowded, decent size waves, crystal clear water! The resort is a little pricey, but it was our honeymoon so it wasn't as much much of an issue for us. Breakfast was free, and awesome every morning. Do yourself a favor and visit one of the restaruants down the beach to the right side if you're facing the ocean. Dinner was expensive here, and we only made that mistake once. The pools are awesome! My wife and I favorite was the lazy river. This place has everything, secluded, close to the action... we went out at night for strait up debauchery in Patong several times. Its a 5 min cab ride. The only thing I wish was that the bed was a little softer, it was a little firm for my taste but thats ok it got me out of bed earlier!! We never go back back to the same place twice, however, my wife and I have made one exception for Centara Grand in Karon Beach. We will definitely be going back in the near future. Of note... we also stayed at the Le Meridian in Ko Samui the week before. Also a very nice resort. Very boutique. That's where we truly relaxed. Phuket was where we came to have fun, dance every night, drink, and party. It was the best leg of our trip. Also don't forget to get a massage on the beach! It's cheap as hell and it will completely blow your mind!!

Room Tip: Definitely splurge and ungrade to the "The Club". The rooms are awesome, corner rooms, wi...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank R_and_R619
Write a ReviewReviews (2,855)

Reviewed 30 January 2012

I can't forget this hotel in my whole life.This is very good hotel with very polite staff and quality of food is great.My Experience:-Its has very good swimming pools with so many other attractions like lazy river,Diving, slider etc so my father decided, seeing 2 year babies diving and coming to spot told to me to dive with him so i did without knowing swimming we both div @ 20 feet depth and could not swim at all but thanks to the staff they save my father and me.Rooms are very good with excellent bath rooms.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
8  Thank Santak P
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Visited in January 2012. A large complex and we were lucky to be placed in the 900 block which is closest to the beach. The facilities are excellent and the pool area caters to everyone. The water slide, lazy river and jumping rock was a real hit with my 12 year old and the staff supervising were great with the kids. The breakfast in the cove restaurant was also very good and one of the best selections we have had at a hotel. We ate dinner at both the Cove and the Mare restaurant and again I enjoyed the meals very much. If eating dinner at the hotel try to get a table outside near the stage area so you can see the nightly performance. The staff were very friendly and helpful and I was impressed that they were able to communicate in a number of languages. There was a variety of nationalities staying at the hotel and it always amazes me when traveling that even the street vendors often can speak some english. We were booked into a delux ocean facing spa room which was on the top floor of the building . We only booked a couple of weeks before arriving so I believe we didnt have a lot of options with available rooms. If I returned I would not select the spa room again as the spa bath on the balcony meant reduced space in the room and on the balcony. We didnt use the spa at all. The brochure says the room size is 36 sq meters and the basic Delux ocean facing room is 40 sq mt. I would have preferred to have the extra room inside as we had difficulty storing suitcased and assorted stuff with the limitied floor space. The bathroom was huge nealy half the space of the room with sliding doors that opened it up to the sleeping area. The room layout would probably suite a couple more than a family and the brochure does indicate that the Delux Ocean facing spa room max occupancy is 2 adults. The pool suites all apear to be on the ground floors of the buildings which means that they are not very private but they do have blinds that can be pulled down to give more privacy. The villas are seperated from the main hotel area along the hill. Again some of them are overlooked by the hotel complex so not much privacy if on the balcony or in the pool.
The hotel is located about a 15 minute walk to karon. I read in a previous review that the hotel was running a shuttle service but there was no indication of one being avaliable when I asked the reception staff told us it was 200bht taxi ride into karon or 300 bht into patong. Apart from a couple of beach restaurants there is nothing that is an easy strole nearby so if your need anything that is not avaliable at the hotel it is either a bit of a trek or a taxi ride.
Apart form the minor issue of location we really enjoyed our stay at Centara and would return.

Room Tip: Top floor of 900 block in 941- 943 would give excellent views along karon Beach.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank smdmelb
Reviewed 24 January 2012

New and fresh with great facilities and fantastic rooms. This is the hotel to stay at if visiting Karon Beach. The pool is to die for. Floating river pool, a diving plunge pool and a free form main pool that has so much space and easily will please all clients. The deluxe club rooms are great as they have a private plunge pool. The service is impeccable and the staff are only too happy to assist and make your stay a special one.

The breakfasts and dining options in the cove main restaurant are excellent. The Italian restaurant appeals to some but not all diners. The Club lounge s great for snacks during the day. gym and kids club facilities add to the facilities. Only complaint is the hassle of obtaining a taxi from the top of a steep driveway. Not the best option.

We would come again and without a doubt recommend a stay at this new hotel n Karon Beach.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
11  Thank Jeff D
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We arrived at the hotel in Dec 2011 and although the rooms were where requested, they were not connecting. This made the first three days a bit difficult but the hotel definitely tried there best to compensate for this error on their part and gave us an adjoining executive suite on the other side of our room at no extra costs. The Centarra Grand Beach Resort Hotel is tucked away at the Northern Corner of Caron Beach. Although the hotel is on the beach front of this public beach, the fact that is is at the end of the beach means that the beach is used mainly by hotel guests. Beach side service is available at the edge of the beach on hotel loungers. Moving closer to the actual sea, one would then have to use lounges owned by private traders. Great cheap food is available on the beach as well as massages all at Thailands favourable prices. The pool is also on the beach and has a water slide facility adjoining it. So yup...the beach and pool area get a 5* rating. Pool side menu is however a bit lacking. Breakfasts are first class and rooms are also excellent. If you want to be near the beach and pool look at getting gound rooms in Buildings 9 or 8. As family with young kids we also had the need to visit the clinic on 2 occasions, The hotel nurse was great on both occasions. We however were told that new year dinner celebrations is compulsory. The 30000 baht fee was bit excessive for a buffet which excluded hotel drinks. The hotel gym is ample.

Room Tip: Building 9 ground floor facing the ocean
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank jeff1996
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karon
0.8 km away
Amari Phuket
#2 of 334 in Patong
1.2 km away
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!