Karona Resort & Spa
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
OneLoft Hotel(Karon Beach)
View Hotel
All reviewskaron beachthe main beach roadthoroughly enjoyed my staybeauty salonthe entire staffno elevatorwithin easy reachsound of the waveslocation is idealair conditioningwalk in showersuperior rooma sea view roomprivate balconystayed here for nightsrooms were very cleanmin walk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 October 2017

Sadly, I found the hotels reception staff indifferent and incredibly rude to the hotel guests. They (a male and female receptionist) were rude and very curt almost to the point of shouting at me when I was asking for information at the reception desk. I saw this behavior with 2 other guests at different times.
Unfortunately, I have noticed that their behavior to paying guests is representative of the attitude many people of this island (Phuket) have to visitors - that is it's the norm rather than the exception; from the time you land at the air port! I think these people are used to treating visitors like cattle because there is so many of us that come through every year. The hotel is also frequented by many Chinese and Russian guests, who possibly due to a lack of communication skills, tolerates such abuses.. I found the only way to get some respect was to shout back even harder!!! Not want I want to be doing on my vacation.
If you want basic courtesy do yourself a favour and skip this hotel! Better yet skip Phuket altogether! There's plenty of smaller islands that aren't over run with tourists and where locals still value your contribution to their economy. Try koh yao yai for example. It's what Phuket was 20 years ago!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed here 3.5 days last week. It was an unpleasant experience. I've paid for a seaview room and made a special request for a quiet room through Agoda. I've also personally emailed the hotel to confirm my request and asked if there were ongoing reno works but hotel did not bother to reply. On arrival, I was given a room with only a glimpse of the sea (see photo) and subsequently beseeched with screeching and thundering noises from late morning till evening the days after. Only then I realised my room was right beneath the floor where reno works were going on (see photo). This was not told to me at check in, instead the receptionist chose to emphasize that I have to pay 50THB per day to use the room safe.
I had wanted to request for a change of room but gave up after the following disgusting experience with the reception staff:
I needed to make a local call but did not have a Thai sim card. The room phone did not allow local calls and so I approached reception for help. Initially the male staff in red said I would be charged 10THB and I told them it's ok and offered to pay on the spot. However he changed his mind and said they only help call in urgent cases. I was foolish enough to tell them mine is not urgent but it was essential as the other party was waiting for my call. He then raised his voice and rudely told me "then go outside and buy a sim card !" It was raining badly and I only needed to make that one call throughout my whole stay so I really have no use for a 299THB sim card. I pled with him one last time but he merely smirked and said he can't help me, no apologies at all. I had to use my home network to make an auto roam call on my cellphone eventually. After this sour experience, there was more to come the next morning:
At my first breakfast there, I sat at the table right beside the pool and was halfway through finishing my meal when I realised there were no table napkins on my table. I approached a female staff for one and she refused to but instead told me I have to move my food to a table where the napkins and mats were laid! Disgusted, I decided to forgo the napkin and returned to finish my breakfast. Shortly after, another female staff came and again asked me to move, the reason being the mats were laid at other tables! Seriously?! I told her I have almost finished my meal and confirm she wanted me to move? She nodded her head. I asked if she would help me move the dishes, bowl and glass then and she simply walked away. Furious, I remained seated where I was to finish my breakfast and seeing I did not move, she came back and asked for my room number in a manner of a traffic police questioning an offender. Did they already not ask once when I first sat down? Seriously, if the staff did not want guests to occupy a certain table within the restaurant for whatever reasons, they could have put a sign on the table or inform the guest when he/she first put his/her plate down. The place was off peak and not busy so I cannot understand the unreasonable behaviour of the staff. At subsequent mornings I noticed that ALL the tables were laid with mats and napkins, so it makes me wonder if it was pure laziness on that first morning. The other disgusting thing was that at the omelette station, a bird (mynah) was perching on the frying pan (fire off) and staring at the ingredients. I watched for a good while to see if the 'chef' standing there would do anything but he didn't so I shooed it away only to be glared at by the 'chef'. Did the 'chef' not think of what undesirable 'ingredients' the bird might have added to the omelette, especially the bowl of beaten eggs?
Overall , it was a bad experience and not the relaxed resort vacation I was looking forward too. Other than the few superficial smiles , there was no welcome feel at all and all staff clearly needs much more room for hospitality training. The pool was too small for swimming and 'spa' only had massage. There were tiny red ants on the day bed you wouldn't notice until bitten, the aircon was weak and noisy thru the night, the shower water pressure was poor and you are not supposed to flush toilet paper down the toilet. It's really hard to find a star to justify, maybe the only one star is its location near the beach which was useless on a rainy day.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank M C
Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

Spent two nights here on our honeymoon and I'm so glad it wasn't more.

The worst thing was I got an electric shock from moving the kettle as the cord was frayed. I've never had a shock before and it was quite painful and scary. We went to complain and they said 'don't worry, we'll get you another kettle' but didn't care about the fact I was upset. The manager was too busy to speak to us about it and they dumped a new kettle in our room while we were out. If it had been a child being shocked it could have been very nasty but the staff didn't care at all.

We have stayed in a range of cheap, mid and high level hotels and this was a more expensive one. The staff were very rude and EVERYTHING cost extra. Even cheap hostels had a safe for free but this hotel charged by the day. We asked them to call the airline to change a flight time. They said we could call but pay 30 baht per minute. However a little hostel we stayed in phoned a restaurant to check our reservation for free and they didn't answer, so kept calling over and over no charge.

I would stay somewhere with nicer staff and would not stay here again. All the staff were rude (shouting at my husband as if he was an idiot when he didn't write his name fast enough and unhelpful) and it was not a nice place to stay.

I don't tend to write bad reviews but I was really disappointed in this place. To end on a positive, if you're in Bangkok stay in baan pra nond for good customer service! Or in Ko Lanta - Phra Nang is amazing.

Oh and if you go to Muay Thai in Phuket, don't bet on the non-Thai boxers. They won't win, even if they were the better fighter. Fun evening out though.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lucy H
Reviewed 10 July 2017

this is our 2nd stay here mainly because of the staff, they are great. the position is across the road from the beach and close to many restaurants .the management go out of their way to make you comfortable,,great pools and grounds , would always recommend.

Room Tip: great views up higher with stairs
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank scott h
Reviewed 19 June 2017

We stayed at Karona Resort & Spa from 04 June 2017 to 08 June 2017. We have booked the Deluxe room with sea view. We had an awesome stay at karona resort.
Firstly, Location:- The location is a the end of karon beach and start of Kata area.The beach is right opposite the resort, just across the road. To move around, Tuk Tuk, taxi are easily available. Two wheelers on rent available.
Check in / Check out:- Very swift and fast. The reception staff is efficient and couteous.

Rooms:- The room size is large, spacious and very good. Air conditioning good. The room had balcony and a bench for seating. The best part of the room was the sea view. Sea view was one of the foremost reason of booking Karona resort and it outlived our expectation. The sea view from the room is magnificent, beautiful. You can see huge strech of the sea from left to right. In the night, just seat in the balcony and enjoy the gushing sound of the waves. Enjoy sunset . Simply great.
Food:- We had breakfast only at the resort. The food quality is good. The breakfast spread was good. It is an international breakfast.
Cleanliness:- The rooms were very clean and neat. Even, the resort cleanliness was maintained very well. The swimming pool was maintained nicely.
Staff:- The staff is very nice, courteous, helpful and will always greet with a smile.
Spa:- The resort has a Spa (Subpaya Place). Our trip would have been incomplete without a massage in thailand. We decided to have it at the Spa in the resort. The quality of massage provided was good. It was an absolute refresher. The two females at the Spa are very well trained . Don,t miss it.

One of the evening, there was live musical / song performance at the restaurant. We were sitting in the balcony and it was a great experience with music and gushing sound of sea waves in the background.
Overall, a great stay. Kudos to the entire staff of Karona Resort.
We will definitely come back to stay...................

Room Tip: Deluxe room with Sea view
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple