Open today: 7:00 AM - 12:00 AM

from US$150.00
from US$170.00
from US$145.00
More Info
All reviews indoor pool northern lights museum tour day trip rock lake geothermal plant activities center free tour year round aurora viewing ice glass dog sledding aurora ice museum fairbanks area greenhouse moose martini
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 March 2021

TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!! RUDE STAFF!! TERRIBLE FOOD!! HOT SPRINGS SMELL L!! RUDE GUESTS DO NOT WEAR MASKS! NOT A RESORT AT ALL! I came here on my birthday for my birthday and was rudely checked in by Vicky who was on her phone and didn’t even look up to rudely say “ID and form of payment” like this is some cheap motel. my room wasn’t ready till 415 even though I requested an early check in weeks before and had gotten a shuttle to the hot springs. My heavy bags I had to take into a back closet myself where every other customer was walking in and out of, it didn’t feel secure from the customers or the staff hanging out in the back room with all the customers bags. Then I sat down to eat while I waited for my room and got raw chicken wings which I sent back stating they were raw but was still charged for. Luckily the drinks were good or else I probably would’ve left right then. I noticed other people being checked in while I was still waiting. I got on the WIFI and even the wifi landing page was rudely written saying “don’t complain about the wifi” this is a sad excuse for a resort and I urge everyone to find a different option. It is overpriced, dirty, unwelcoming and reminds me of a nasty public pool. I wanted to leave as soon as I got here. Mostly locals come to this location so you can tell it’s not a great tourist spot. Just lots of locals with no where else to go to hangout. Making the whole experience even less inviting. No one wished me a happy birthday even though I specifically said I was here for my birthday. Not even the waiter who I gave my ID and told it was my birthday. The entire experience was terrible. Will never be back. Coming from a great experience for the first half my trip I wish I stayed there and never came to this place. Would cancel the reservation and stay else where if it didn’t already cost me 300$. Not worth the drive at all.

Date of experience: March 2021
1  Thank 56justg
Reviewed 2 March 2021

If you have a car, you don't necessarily need a tour. We drove up for part of a day from fairbanks area and paid $15 each for use of the lake, pool, hottubs and locker rooms. The water felt amazing; could have stayed there forever. There is a lot more to do there if you want to make a day of it, but the hot spring itself was well worth the trip for us. We will definitely consider getting a room and spending a few days there next time we are in the area.

Reviewed 21 February 2021

We flew into Alaska to spend the weekend in Chena Hot Springs to try to see the Northern Lights. Weekend overall was great. Our second time here since last August when we RVed Alaska.
Rooms are dated but clean. Being winter, you need a winterized car because of the sub zero temps. Regretfully, the plugs spots are limited and first come first serve. I had to get up every four hours to start my vehicle to prevent freeze up. On Sat at 6 Am a spot opened up. Wasn't crazy on the fact of waking up every four hours.

Food service needs revampting. Menu is ok, but overall service is poor. Very unorganized and long waits to get a table. Food is slow to come out and some wait staff members are rude. Regretfully, not many options for eating as the closest placea arw 50 miles away in Fairbanks.

We requested to talk to a manager and was told she left at 3:30. I requested a call back from a manager and none.

Overall resort is worth it, but food and beverage service is sub par.

Reviewed 12 February 2021 via mobile

The hot springs were everything we thought they would be, and very cool to do surrounded by snow and in -12 to -35 degrees. We were fortunate that it was during the week and less crowded. Make sure you hydrate well, maybe even switch back and forth between the hot springs and cooler indoor pool.

Possibly over-rated for the northern lights, unless you take the Snowtrack $75 tour up to the top the mountain. The resort is situated in a valley surrounded by mountains and trees so unless the lights are right on top of you, they are difficult to see.

The service at the front desk was top-notch, specifically Brianna at the front desk was phenomenal— we’d give her 10 stars. Our tour leader messed up and Brianna was able to get us the same room for 2 nights (instead of one). The cabins the tour guide reserved may be perfect in summer but in winter the thought of using the outdoor outhouse in -35 weather did not appeal to us.

The food in the restaurant was delicious— good variety, portions and price. Over the two days, we enjoyed the halibut fish and chips, tomato basil soup, mushroom spinach omelet and Yukon omelet, scallops— my favorite, and spinach salad with grilled shrimp. Decor is authentically outdoors Alaska. Service was either good or slow, depending on the meal and server.

Gift shop was reasonably priced with huge variety and range in price-point of souvenirs. Main building has some wonderful historic decor.

Rooms are spacious but sparse, no mini-fridge but we were able to get a small medicine cooler at the front desk. And the facial tissues were terrible, very rough, so bring your own. You can get some at the gas station at mile marker 3 on your way out.

Reviewed 4 February 2021

I and my boyfriend joined Aurora Viewing Tour on 4th Jan 2021, I could see Aurora, which is good point and was awesome.

However, on the way to the place to see the Aurora by your van, there was a group(4 ppl) who didn't wear masks. Me, my boyfriend, another Asian guy and the group were on the same van, we spent total 50min on the van with the group who didn't wear masks. I noticed the van doesn't have any windows. Unfortunately, the tour guide didn't ask the group to wear masks at all. I know Alaska State doesn’t mandate to wear the masks but other staffs in the other places we visited such as Alyeska resort, asked and pointed out every customers to do so. On this hotel's website, their covid policy says "At Chena Hot Springs our front line staff is required to wear a face mask and we encourage our guests to do so as well, inside any of our facilities.” this facility didn't adhere this policy, that made us so disappointed. We paid 1,340 in total for the package + extra tour to enjoy your place but we couldn't. Make matters worse, I got corona positive result. I am not sure if I was infected due to this tour, but unfortunately we saw lots of people who stayed at this hotel didn't wear masks. So I was likely to be exposed the COVID on this tour. At least we couldn't enjoyed the tour and were uncomfortable on the van.

Date of experience: January 2021