La Pernela Beachfront Resort
Cherrys Home(Tawala)(Great Value!)
US$24
US$19
Trip.com
Dream Native Resort(Panglao Island)
  • Breakfast included
Bohol Beach Club(Panglao Island)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe owneralona beachenjoy your stayan absolute delightdirt roadfelt like homeoff the beaten trackperfect place to relaxrestaurants and barsmain roadspent nightsbalicasag islandchocolate hillsbee farmmstranquilityresort
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

A very nice and quiet place to stay. Had a lovely view upstairs. We had enjoyed our stay in Bohol. The best french onion soup made by the owner. We will be back again at this hotel for the next vacation. The owner was very kind, helpful and open.
Enjoy your stay.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
tata_9, Gérant at La Pernela Beachfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2018

Dear guests, thank you very much for loving our place and our French onion soup. Happy to have welcomed you in our midst. See you soon.

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

This is a quaint little place outside the city. Here you can fall asleep to the sound of the waves and wake up to the little flying singers right outside our window. We keep on coming back here because it has honestly become our home away from home. Maryvelle is the lovely hotel keeper. She is a lovely conversation and an exceptional chef! Big kiss to her!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 October 2017

We arrived without any booking at La Pernela during night time. The host, Maryvelle, prepared immediatly our room and propose bring us to another place around for dinner and arrange some activity to Chocolate Hills for the day after. When we woke up we discovered Panglao with great beach where you can snorkel and be with local and far away for Alona beach density. Finally we spent 4 nights there and we felt like home. Maryvelle arranged a scooter, boat trip to Balicasag island ( we were lucky and saw dolphins on the way). The breakfast are quality one and diversified, I had the best eggplant in my whole life there. Also we stayed twice for dinner and she cooked sophisticated Bohol dishes :)
If you are looking for a place to relax and reload positive energy it s definetely the place to choose.
It was hard to leave this small paradize but we will come back for sure

Room Tip: All are the same as the area is quiet
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
tata_9, Gérant at La Pernela Beachfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2017

It was so nice having such warm and lovely guests as you are who just love being in our quiet, secluded rustic, off-the-beaten path corner of the world. The pleasure was ours in hosting you and in making you discover the beauty of our island and our local culinary specialties such as that eggplant omelette. Thank you so much for coming and making us proud and happy of the things we have that make your holidays a memorable one and something you would look forward to having again. See you soon, dear guests! Perhaps next time with your parents as you said Paul! And thanks for the appreciation of our laid-back place.

Reviewed 29 May 2017 via mobile

A pleasure every single time! The food is exceptional and the owner an absolute delight. We make it an effort to stay here every single year. The place is pure tranquility just as advertised. Thank you La Pernela.

Stayed: May 2017
Reviewed 22 April 2017

I booked La Pernela based on previous reviews, how misleading and so far from the truth these are. I left at the first opportunity, 9 days early even though I'd pre paid.
La Pernella is situated off the end of a long concrete decent lane, there is then a short rutted lane which is filled with water after rain and completely unpassable on foot unless you want wet feet!
A path runs the width of the property, the rooms are off this pathway and have louvered windows so no privacy is available unless you keep the flimsy curtains pulled which all guests did. There is window style very noisy air conditioning which is necessary to keep on.
On arrival the shower drain was blocked and the basin does not have a hot water supply. Ants, cockroaches and mosquitos abound in the room. The room is poor backpacker quality.
The food is always cold even though it is said to be cooked individually. The owner is always anxious to get praise for her food. The reality is poor.
The owner has many dogs which are allowed to run free around the small gardens and sit around the dining area. My partner noticed cats sleeping on the kitchen cabinets. There are many mosquitos in the dining area. The dogs would collectively rush to bark at any passing vehicles.
Wi fi is only available in the dining area, it is often poor but this is a Philippine problem.
There is no TV in the room but DVD, and a good library available.
On advising the owner I was leaving early she, unbeknown to me, approached my partner asking her to ask me not to leave a negative review of the property as it could affect her bookings.
Terrible value for money, very basic accommodation and poor food.
The pool water is not recirculated although chemicals added. I didn't use the pool doubting the water purity. As other reviews have stated this is not a beach front property.
La Pernela perhaps deserves 1* only.

Room Tip: Don't go it is genuinely awful
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank noosajo
tata_9, Propriétaire at La Pernela Beachfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2017

Dear Sir! First of all, thank you for your brief stay in our hotel. To be honest, I am simply astounded by your incredibly harsh review despite of the fact that you have showed your dissatisfaction of our place and when asking you about them so we could correct the errors for you or for our future guests, you refused to tell me aside from telling that the room is terrible, I, as manager, personally went there to see what could be in your room to be categorized as "terrible". There was nothing there that I scold my staff or myself even for leniency. Your girlfriend told me herself not to mind your words, that you were just your usual crankily fussy self because of your poor health. That's why I told your gf that we could understand and bear that but it's exaggeration and unfairness made public that I won't accept. Think not only of that bruschetta once you have cold but of the pork caramel or that herb chicken you have licked you plate clean or our breakfasts where you were smacking your lips with satisfaction or the DVD movies you were happily choosing from our library instead of the TV channel that wasn't working and I am sure, our place would deserve a better note than what you have given it. It is not praise tha matters really to us but rather the satisfaction and happiness of our guests because if they are happy, we are happy. Right from the start, your behavior which could have been caused by your advanced age and medical sufferings told us that we would have a trying time making you happy in our place. You don't like to explore the country...see the famous chocolate hills at least or stroll around to the beach as I urged you discretely to do or go swimming or even just take a long breath and enjoy the sight of nature around you. Instead, you just sat there, surfing the net and berating the slightest thing that moves and disturbs you and went out only for the mall. I am really sorry for you to spend your holidays like this and thus, glad at the same time that you had to leave our place because it just all seemed whatever we did never pleased you at all. Our homelike hotel with its laid-back ambiance is absolutely not for you. I think you should be in a five-star hotel with luxuries and people like robots at the snap of your fingers and not in a 70 dollar a night small but warm and tastefully-decorated hotel. That is why I had to be politely honest with you to tell you that we could not change four towels everyday for economic and environmental reasons. The weather and the great number of guests we had couldn't allow us to be doing laundry everyday. But even despite of this, we tried our best to change the towels you have flung unnecessarily onto the floor every morning when we have Floor mats. I think you should read the tripadvior reviews thoroughly too especially the negative ones so you could really decide well before booking and as for me, I hope one day, as a well- meaning manager with only the intention of wanting people to be happy during their vacation, I could just have the courage to say to my luxury-expecting guests to find another hotel.