“Great resort, awesome service, and best all-inclusive meal plan I've had (Gluten Free Comments)”

Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed 7 December 2017

We were in probably the smallest room size they offer, the "Luxury Garden-View Suite". It was a fairly large room, which included a small kitchen type area (coffee pot, full sized/deluxe microwave, mini-fridge micro freezer, and some flatware and plates/glasses and sink). One chair, standard night stands, very comfortable King bed, and adequate outlets. The closet was standard to a little larger, and the bath had a tiled (large tiles) floor and sides with a glass partial side and odd open "non-door" to the large shower that allowed the water to drain in the second floor drain that was in the center of the bathroom (in addition to the main drain in the shower itself of course).. Nothing looked remodeled a hundred times or tacky. All very nice

Maid Service was the best. FIne attention to detail both morning and late afternoon/early evening offer of turn-down service.

Front desk staff helped us many times with questions and assistance. Neither my wife nor I speak any Spanish and can say probably 95% of the staff was very fluent in English and the remainder (except for groundskeepers/maids) could communicate fine. I believe they have some way of identifying your room as having and English-speaking occupant or Hispanic occupant, because the TV menu seemed to be set for English and when I called the front desk they answered in English.

More pools of different types than any resort I have seen and a "hot" jacuzzi (round and small for a few people) and a larger, much larger, one that allowed many more occupants and it's temperature was just warmer than the "too cool for me" (many) pools temps. And this second Jacuzzi type was located right next to the outside bar where you could order drink.

Atmosphere: Like a giant "Rainforest Cafe" type outdoor experience all throughout the large outdoor complex. Bird calls I have never heard before.

Activities: many for kids and adults. We wanted a romantic getaway and did not partake in any but they were there. We saw the included canoe rentals, paddle surf boards (?) and more.

Climate: we were her the beginning of December and the temps were between 81 and 86 high. Any time I felt the least bit warm I only had to stand anywhere in the court yard or on the beach and the powerful breeze was like walking in a constant outdoor fan.

Comfort indoors: A/C was good everywhere except our room. For some reason it was always "barely cool", meaning it was just a little cooler than outside and we could never adjust the temp to make it cool enough to be comfortable. And I am the one always wanting it more cool than my wife and she was beginning to think she had a temp. I finally propped the front door to the room open with the floor lock ring available for this and opened the back patio door. The resulting breeze made it much more comfortable but we were in one of the few areas in the entire resort that could probably get away with this as there were only a handful of rooms beyond us that could have passersby look in and wonder "what the...?" But doing this shut down the AC including the display. The staff told us to shut both doors and give it about a half hour and yes it did come back on but way too uncomfortable. They came out to fix it but I don't think they did. This was on our last night..

Food: Man this was nice. about 5 main restaurants, one for probably the best breakfast buffet at CAPRICHOS I have had anywhere (Disney World, Las Vegas, Biloxi/Gulfport, Gatlinburg, etc.). They had one restaurant specializing in Mexican, one in Steaks and BBQ, one in mediterranean, and one in Japanese. We ate at the Breakfast Buffet and Mexican and the Steak house. All had great food selections, great food prep, and great wait staff. All meals were included with the price, so I expected some pretty tacky meals, prepared "average". What a great surprise! These were all very fine dining restaurants with excellent selection and food preparation. In the Mexican restaurant I had a shrimp dinner prepared unlike anything I've ever had and I have lived along the Gulf of Mexico all my 59 years. The Steak House had some of the best steaks I have had and prepared perfectly. Did not expect this quality and variety to be included with "All-Inclusive" as I expected cutting corners.

GLUTEN-FREE (GF) COMMENTS:
All restaurants have good menu options listed with a "GF" symbol. All staff were knowledgeable of GF requirements. The only place my wife (who is a Celiac patient) was contaminated was the Mexican restaurant, ZAMÁ. A very special "thank you" goes out to the manager, Hector Calderon. He took the time to personally walk me around and show me every single item of the hundreds available, that were GF. And there were many, many. His attention to detail was tops. I am sure he did not know that I saw this next thing, but the waiter had forgotten my stir spoon when he brought my coffee and I used my small knife to stir it and set it on the used cane sugar packs. The Hector came up to offer my wife some more delicious fruit embellished GF muffins (the "best" my wife has ever had in a restaurant) , and with his right hand nonchalantly removed the knife and spent sugar packs all with one deft, almost-invisible swipe. AbOut 60 seconds later my waiter returned wit the proper spoon, then polished it, set it on the table next to my coffee and asked if there was anything he could get.

Room Tip: higher floors (take the better views of the beach)
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Walt R
Juan G, Director General at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Walt R,

Thank you for providing us the opportunity of hosting you at Villa del Palmar Cancun and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I am pleased to read that you had an unforgettable experience and that our team has done a great job taking care of every detail during your stay. Your comments inspire us to keep making our guests’ satisfaction possible.

It will be an honor for Villa del Palmar Cancun to have you back and offer you our sincere hospitality on your next visit.

Villa del Palmar Cancun

Write a ReviewReviews (4,263)

Reviewed 4 December 2017 via mobile

Stayed at Villa del Palmar with my family for 6 days over the long Thanksgiving holiday weekend. The place is stunningly beautiful and immaculately maintained. The rooms are actually suites with ample room, tastefully appointed, and include jacuzzis, full gourmet kitchens, balconies with hammocks, among many other amenities. The staff and service were A+. There are about 4 or 5 restaurants, and 4 bars on the premises; however, the food and the drinks they serve is nothing to talk about. The menus were limited, and the food not tasty. The cocktails and wine were worse. Downright nasty. So much so, that I stuck to drinking can beers throughout my whole stay. The beach was nice and tranquil, but not as clear as other Cancun area beaches. One evening there was a strong sewage smell on the beach. (Probably sewage discharges to the sea from the hotel itself, or the ferries which dock nearby). Which brings me to this--as unbelievable as it may sound: The water coming out of the faucets smelled like rotten eggs (perhaps that explains why the food wasn't that appealing). When you took a bath, you felt dirtier than before you took it. Not a trace of chlorine whatsoever. Very puzzling. The vibe at the hotel was very relaxing (some might say "boring"). Not crowded at all. In fact, on many days it seemed like we were the only ones using the pools. Fine with me, as I don't like crowds; but if you visit with the intention of partying the day and night away this is not the place for you. Though my toddler had a blast swimming and splashing at the many pools throughout the premises. The resort's location is far away from the hotel zone, but there's public transportation to and from the hotel. Just across the street you can catch a minibus (60 US cents, per fare). Tell the driver where you're heading, and he will gladly tell you what to do. We organized our own excursions using public transportation to Isla Mujeres and Playa del Carmen, and saved hundreds of dollars in the process. But the most disappointing part of our getaway to Villa del Palmar, by far, was its timeshare presentation. Instead of 90 minutes, it took 7 hours!!! The people were friendly at first, and described a great deal; but when it was time to sign the contract, it did not correlate to what they said. Given that I am very meticulous when signing any contract (I will read every line--even the fine print), I immediately noticed the discrepancies, and pointed them out to the people giving the presentation. That's when they became nasty. Finally, I had enough, and told them I wasn't interested. The guy (cannot recall his name) said fine, abruptly got up from his seat, and brought back a paper for me to sign. It was a "chargeback" document, which I had to sign in order for them to return $2,950 USD they had charged my credit card WITHOUT MY CONSENT. Needless to say, I was flabbergasted, and immediately contacted my credit card company to report the fraud. The credit card customer service lady confirmed that indeed there was a $2,950 pending charge from VDP on my account. When I confronted the people from the timeshare about it, they dismissed it as a "misunderstanding", and assured me the money would be returned to my credit card. Naturally, that awful experience left a sour note on our otherwise fantastic vacation in Mexico.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank Elvin T
Juan G, Director General at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2017

Dear Elvin T,

I appreciate the time you took to share your experience with us.

I am very sorry that your recent visit didn’t go as expected. Your feedback is highly important to us. Without hesitation we will take into consideration your comments to improve our service and prevent a recurrence of such an event.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to host you again so that we may serve you with the warmth and hospitality for which we are recognized.

Reviewed 4 December 2017

We had a great time and as always everything was perfect. The resort upgraded our room to the pent house. Thank you Villa Del Palmar for always making our vacation a wonderful experience. The rooms are beautiful, the food is excellent. I had the best steak at the steakhouse. The staff is wonderful!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Juan G, Director General at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2017

Dear Leslie S,

Reviewed 30 November 2017

Flew in from Atlanta which was a pleasant 2.5 hour short flight. Nice new Cancun Airport extension for Southwest Airline. About a 40 minute ride to resort, buckle up as drivers are aggressive.
Upon arrival we were greeted with frozen mango drinks, which really hit the spot, and a warm scented face towel. Very inviting and nice Check in went smooth, but for some reason a RESORT wants to charge $10/day extra for WIFI. I think this cheapened the initial warm greeting and feeling. We then got our room. Our first room had a chemical smell, so we got moved to a new room, 2209B. This room was very nice with a pretty view, but no ocean. One thing to know in a non suite room, you do not have a work table or desk do place a laptop? I guess business people do not use this resort? The pools are wonderful, the beach is clean & open, the food is excellent. They do lack when it comes to kid functions, they have a kid room, but they don't really do kid events like sand castle build, sea shell building, painting, night flashlight tag etc. Several resorts we have stayed in offer much more for the kids, so the adults can do other things, but this resort you are pretty much your kids entertainment. The room service was very good and the mini bar was restocked daily. The gym is very nice with good quality equipment, showers and lockers. Check out went smoothly with no suprises

Room Tip: 2201 or 2206
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Dave B
Juan G, Director General at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2017

Dear Dave B,

Reviewed 30 November 2017

My wife and I had a marvelous getaway vacation at the Villa del Palmar Resort that exceeded our expectations. We had a luxury apartment, one bedroom suite, complete with a full kitchen, dining room, living room, washer & dryer, two bathrooms with showers, hot tub, separate bedroom, vanity, giant porch, and hammock. The room was spotlessly clean and odor free.

The resort is a gorgeous paradise with tall palms and multiple swimming pools and hot tubs. There are bars and restaurants spaced throughout the facility.

The experience with all of the staff at the resort, from the concierge personal attention to the housekeeping, bartenders, wait staff, and bellhops, etc. is a shining example of how to make a guest feel like a king or a queen.

We felt so comfortable there that the only time we left the property was to go out to the most incredible coral reef in crystal clear blue water filled with a dazzling array of tropical fish on a SCUBA diving adventure. One of the coolest things that I've done.

We saw great live musical entertainment at the resort. We arrived on a Sunday and left that Thursday and the experience was wonderful.

If you keep Kosher, you should contact koshercancun.com and they will deliver hot food daily to you. We did not eat at any of the restaurants on the resort to be able to comment on the food. The drinks were great and that is something that we enjoyed.

We found this place from a company that promotes time-shares. The price that we paid for this was a huge bargain, however, we were required to attend a mandatory sales presentation. The presentation was almost 4 hours, but we enjoyed our saleswoman and the time passed rather quickly. We got to see the penthouse apartment with a hottub on the roof and a view that was breathtaking.

Bring a bunch of single dollars for tips.

Room Tip: Don't opt for the upgrade view. The garden view is more than adequate.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Juan G, Director General at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2017

Dear YSilverman,

3.6 km away
Dreams Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
12.2 km away
Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!