“Absolute star service!”

Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

As much as I would love to leave 4 stars, this resort lacks a few very important things. To start from the top, this location is only 7 years old and the room decor feels like they're from the 80's for no reason at all. Nothing is old, thr suites are great and the views are as well. The beach is unlike all in the rest of the region with green mostly murky water, not one wants to see when you come to a region with some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. All uphill from here, the service is 5 star, the resort itself is beautiful, the retaurants are all great and the pools are as well. I would go all inclusive here as the prices without the all inclusive are extremely high. I would bot stay at this resort in Cancun again, I would rather stay at resorts with better beaches, but I've been to their Cabo, Loreto and Manzanillo resorts and I would visit all of them again.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Dany Z
Juan G, Director General at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2017

Dear Dany Z,

I appreciate the time you took to share your experience with us.

I am very sorry that your recent visit didn’t go as expected. Your feedback is highly important to us. Without hesitation we will take into consideration your comments to improve our service and prevent a recurrence of such an event.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to host you again so that we may serve you with the warmth and hospitality for which we are recognized.

Juan Carlos Gonzalez

Write a ReviewReviews (4,268)

Reviewed 8 December 2017

We actually purchased the Dreamvacationweek package for 6 weeks of vacations. We paid almost 3k and we came back to Villa Del Palmar to do the additional timeshare presentation to just get the first 2 certificates.
BUT BEWARE...we have only received 2 certificates and we tried calling and contacting people but everyone says that the VIlla Group must be the ones to send us new certificates. But you can never get a hold of anyone at the Villa Group. They all claim you need to speak to Interval and then Interval says you need to talk to them. A big run around. So- unfortunately we will need to try to take legal action to get the rest of these certificates or get our money back. AUGH!!!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cheekemnky

Dear cheekemnky,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and for trusting us with your vacation.

I am sorry that we did not provide the experience that you and your family expected. It is very important for us to know the areas that we need to improve. You may rest assured that your comments about (sales presentation) will be taken into consideration and we will act in a timely manner to prevent this from happening again.

Please contact me directly when planning to stay with us again so that I may help you with your reservation. It would be an honor to have the opportunity to host you again and show you the improvements we have made.

Reviewed 8 December 2017

I would first like to say that the resort itself is beautiful and immaculate. We had a one bedroom suite, and it was more room than we needed, with a full kitchen that we never touched since we had the all inclusive package. It had a beautiful balcony with a comfortable hammock that I spent a lot of time in! Every room that I could tell should have an ocean view, and we had a view of Isla Mujeres from ours.

The food was very good, we only had one or two things that we didn't enjoy and ate at every restaurant on site while we were there. We especially enjoyed the fire margaritas, the steak at La Casona, the sushi at the Japanese restaurant, and the pizza at the beach bar. The service was excellent, and everyone on staff was very friendly and accomodating from the servers, to the housekeepers, to the maintenance men, as everyone spoke to you with their hands over their heart as a gesture of respect as you walked by.

The resort was very quiet, and seemed to be less than half full, which we were fine with. Never had to search for a chair on the beach or by the pool, and the servers that came to you at the beach or pool were attentive. We attended one of the shows while we were there, a magic show, and it was mildly entertaining.

Two drawbacks to the resort itself, were the construction for their new building, and having to sign a bill for each drink or meal despite being on the all inclusive plan. The construction was VERY loud, we weren't able to sleep past 8:30 on any given morning even though we quite enjoy sleeping in on our vacations. I'm sure this will continue for quite some time as they have only really started on one massive building, and have plans to build another. The other drawback was constantly having to wait for and sign a bill after each meal or even ordering a drink at the bar. Of course there is an area for "tips", so you felt obligated to leave one with each transaction. One thing I really enjoy about all inclusives is not typically having to do this.

The BIGGEST issue we had by far, was with the timeshare "presentation". We are owners of a hotel timeshare system, and have sat through MANY of these presentations, and this one was by far the WORST we have ever sat through. I read reviews before going, and saw people commenting on how the "90 minute" presentation lasted instead FOUR hours, and thought, "that's not possible!" Nope, they were exactly right! It was ridiculous how even after we told them we were not interested in shelling out over $100,000 (you read that right), that they came back not once, not twice, not three times, but FOUR different times with offers that we kept turning down! And then, once we finally DID get away, we were offered with our FIFTH chance to purchase when we were being "checked out" by a completely different individual in another building! We were pretty clear early on that we didn't think their product was for us, and that we were happy with what we have, and they just kept pressuring to purchase ANYTHING.

The second high pressure salesman that they brought in to "make the offer better" was downright rude. He was asking me questions about our current timeshare, and how many points we have and fees that we have to pay. When I explained to him some particulars, he actually argued with me that "he didn't think that was right" and "he had never heard of that before". I actually felt harassed! We have been owners of our timeshare for 8 years, and have taken 6-8 vacations a year with it, so I'm pretty well versed on the points, fees and restrictions we have. He then just abruptly said, "let's get them checked out", which I was very relieved to hear, but then the onslaught of additional offers just kept coming as the hours ticked by!

I am used to high pressure sales with timeshare presentations, but we left this one (FINALLY!), with such a bad taste in my mouth, that it actually ruined the last 2 days my husband and I had at the resort. We just kept talking about it, and kept coming up with things that sounded bogus, or that were contradictory in their pitch. It just didn't sit right with us, and we are a fan of timeshares.

At the end of the day, this is a beautiful resort, with great service and really good food, but it is in the middle of nowhere, with a beach that is not very pretty (cloudy water with a lot of debris and seaweed). I wouldn't make the effort to ever come back here, and would strongly, strongly warn people against sitting through the timeshare presentation!!

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dawn S

Dear Dawn S,

Reviewed 7 December 2017

We were in probably the smallest room size they offer, the "Luxury Garden-View Suite". It was a fairly large room, which included a small kitchen type area (coffee pot, full sized/deluxe microwave, mini-fridge micro freezer, and some flatware and plates/glasses and sink). One chair, standard night stands, very comfortable King bed, and adequate outlets. The closet was standard to a little larger, and the bath had a tiled (large tiles) floor and sides with a glass partial side and odd open "non-door" to the large shower that allowed the water to drain in the second floor drain that was in the center of the bathroom (in addition to the main drain in the shower itself of course).. Nothing looked remodeled a hundred times or tacky. All very nice

Maid Service was the best. FIne attention to detail both morning and late afternoon/early evening offer of turn-down service.

Front desk staff helped us many times with questions and assistance. Neither my wife nor I speak any Spanish and can say probably 95% of the staff was very fluent in English and the remainder (except for groundskeepers/maids) could communicate fine. I believe they have some way of identifying your room as having and English-speaking occupant or Hispanic occupant, because the TV menu seemed to be set for English and when I called the front desk they answered in English.

More pools of different types than any resort I have seen and a "hot" jacuzzi (round and small for a few people) and a larger, much larger, one that allowed many more occupants and it's temperature was just warmer than the "too cool for me" (many) pools temps. And this second Jacuzzi type was located right next to the outside bar where you could order drink.

Atmosphere: Like a giant "Rainforest Cafe" type outdoor experience all throughout the large outdoor complex. Bird calls I have never heard before.

Activities: many for kids and adults. We wanted a romantic getaway and did not partake in any but they were there. We saw the included canoe rentals, paddle surf boards (?) and more.

Climate: we were her the beginning of December and the temps were between 81 and 86 high. Any time I felt the least bit warm I only had to stand anywhere in the court yard or on the beach and the powerful breeze was like walking in a constant outdoor fan.

Comfort indoors: A/C was good everywhere except our room. For some reason it was always "barely cool", meaning it was just a little cooler than outside and we could never adjust the temp to make it cool enough to be comfortable. And I am the one always wanting it more cool than my wife and she was beginning to think she had a temp. I finally propped the front door to the room open with the floor lock ring available for this and opened the back patio door. The resulting breeze made it much more comfortable but we were in one of the few areas in the entire resort that could probably get away with this as there were only a handful of rooms beyond us that could have passersby look in and wonder "what the...?" But doing this shut down the AC including the display. The staff told us to shut both doors and give it about a half hour and yes it did come back on but way too uncomfortable. They came out to fix it but I don't think they did. This was on our last night..

Food: Man this was nice. about 5 main restaurants, one for probably the best breakfast buffet at CAPRICHOS I have had anywhere (Disney World, Las Vegas, Biloxi/Gulfport, Gatlinburg, etc.). They had one restaurant specializing in Mexican, one in Steaks and BBQ, one in mediterranean, and one in Japanese. We ate at the Breakfast Buffet and Mexican and the Steak house. All had great food selections, great food prep, and great wait staff. All meals were included with the price, so I expected some pretty tacky meals, prepared "average". What a great surprise! These were all very fine dining restaurants with excellent selection and food preparation. In the Mexican restaurant I had a shrimp dinner prepared unlike anything I've ever had and I have lived along the Gulf of Mexico all my 59 years. The Steak House had some of the best steaks I have had and prepared perfectly. Did not expect this quality and variety to be included with "All-Inclusive" as I expected cutting corners.

GLUTEN-FREE (GF) COMMENTS:
All restaurants have good menu options listed with a "GF" symbol. All staff were knowledgeable of GF requirements. The only place my wife (who is a Celiac patient) was contaminated was the Mexican restaurant, ZAMÁ. A very special "thank you" goes out to the manager, Hector Calderon. He took the time to personally walk me around and show me every single item of the hundreds available, that were GF. And there were many, many. His attention to detail was tops. I am sure he did not know that I saw this next thing, but the waiter had forgotten my stir spoon when he brought my coffee and I used my small knife to stir it and set it on the used cane sugar packs. The Hector came up to offer my wife some more delicious fruit embellished GF muffins (the "best" my wife has ever had in a restaurant) , and with his right hand nonchalantly removed the knife and spent sugar packs all with one deft, almost-invisible swipe. AbOut 60 seconds later my waiter returned wit the proper spoon, then polished it, set it on the table next to my coffee and asked if there was anything he could get.

Room Tip: higher floors (take the better views of the beach)
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Walt R

Dear Walt R,

Thank you for providing us the opportunity of hosting you at Villa del Palmar Cancun and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I am pleased to read that you had an unforgettable experience and that our team has done a great job taking care of every detail during your stay. Your comments inspire us to keep making our guests’ satisfaction possible.

It will be an honor for Villa del Palmar Cancun to have you back and offer you our sincere hospitality on your next visit.

Villa del Palmar Cancun

Reviewed 4 December 2017 via mobile

Stayed at Villa del Palmar with my family for 6 days over the long Thanksgiving holiday weekend. The place is stunningly beautiful and immaculately maintained. The rooms are actually suites with ample room, tastefully appointed, and include jacuzzis, full gourmet kitchens, balconies with hammocks, among many other amenities. The staff and service were A+. There are about 4 or 5 restaurants, and 4 bars on the premises; however, the food and the drinks they serve is nothing to talk about. The menus were limited, and the food not tasty. The cocktails and wine were worse. Downright nasty. So much so, that I stuck to drinking can beers throughout my whole stay. The beach was nice and tranquil, but not as clear as other Cancun area beaches. One evening there was a strong sewage smell on the beach. (Probably sewage discharges to the sea from the hotel itself, or the ferries which dock nearby). Which brings me to this--as unbelievable as it may sound: The water coming out of the faucets smelled like rotten eggs (perhaps that explains why the food wasn't that appealing). When you took a bath, you felt dirtier than before you took it. Not a trace of chlorine whatsoever. Very puzzling. The vibe at the hotel was very relaxing (some might say "boring"). Not crowded at all. In fact, on many days it seemed like we were the only ones using the pools. Fine with me, as I don't like crowds; but if you visit with the intention of partying the day and night away this is not the place for you. Though my toddler had a blast swimming and splashing at the many pools throughout the premises. The resort's location is far away from the hotel zone, but there's public transportation to and from the hotel. Just across the street you can catch a minibus (60 US cents, per fare). Tell the driver where you're heading, and he will gladly tell you what to do. We organized our own excursions using public transportation to Isla Mujeres and Playa del Carmen, and saved hundreds of dollars in the process. But the most disappointing part of our getaway to Villa del Palmar, by far, was its timeshare presentation. Instead of 90 minutes, it took 7 hours!!! The people were friendly at first, and described a great deal; but when it was time to sign the contract, it did not correlate to what they said. Given that I am very meticulous when signing any contract (I will read every line--even the fine print), I immediately noticed the discrepancies, and pointed them out to the people giving the presentation. That's when they became nasty. Finally, I had enough, and told them I wasn't interested. The guy (cannot recall his name) said fine, abruptly got up from his seat, and brought back a paper for me to sign. It was a "chargeback" document, which I had to sign in order for them to return $2,950 USD they had charged my credit card WITHOUT MY CONSENT. Needless to say, I was flabbergasted, and immediately contacted my credit card company to report the fraud. The credit card customer service lady confirmed that indeed there was a $2,950 pending charge from VDP on my account. When I confronted the people from the timeshare about it, they dismissed it as a "misunderstanding", and assured me the money would be returned to my credit card. Naturally, that awful experience left a sour note on our otherwise fantastic vacation in Mexico.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank Elvin T
Juan G, Director General at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2017

Dear Elvin T,

I appreciate the time you took to share your experience with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Mujeres
3.6 km away
Dreams Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
12.2 km away
Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!