“A favourite in Sausset-les-Pins”
Review of L'hermitage

L'hermitage
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 July 2015

We have been coming to l'Hermitage for over 30 years and the food is still consistently good. Excellent pizza, good grilled meat and a lovely view over the sea, particularly when sitting on the terrace.

Reviewed 12 March 2015

There is no many place for great food in Sausset and Carry (overpriced or average). This is a place for meat lovers, Sirloin and prime rib are first choice. I had great fried baby squids, and Marseilles style pizza, I recommend the Corsican one with liver sausage and cream cheese! friends had meat.. wow.. was big... french fries were to oily and over cooked.. almost brown...
Don't forget to have an ice cream a TREAT!!
What nice is there plenty of parking lots close by the restaurant or in front of the restaurant.

Reviewed 5 March 2015

L'Hermitage
22 Promenade de la Corniche
13960 Sausset-les-Pins

The shoreline of the Mediterranean with its pebbles and rocks lay behind me as the light misty shower passed and I wiped the my glasses dry and looked again the sign outside l'Hermitage advertising a list of 'Specialities' of everything edible. Open 7/7 (seven days out of seven). Actually the speciality is meat I was told by my host (a businessman from Martigues).

A long low building, a pebble foreground, terrace with a single row of tables (I think) and at the front, to one side, a raised dais for refreshment or an ice-cream with canvas sail awning for shade but both deserted today.

On the gravel were small groups of local men in conversation. Inside, near the door, a walk-in, atmosphere controlled glass wine cabinet, big glass doors, a really huge bottle of champagne prominent, a selection of wines, some fancy bottles (a bit pretentious).

The full length window provides a stunning vista of the Mediterranean. A modern décor. Some clatter. It was fairly busy with about fifty customers but plenty of space.

The mozzarella and anchovy pizza was large, bitingly tasty and very good. My Beuf Tartare was chopped and not minced, fresh and tasty, the frits were adequate, a salad on the plate was more decoration than encouragement to healthy diet. Not that it mattered much for the pizza was very filling. The wine a Gigondas was served cool, just a civilized half bottle for four. “un goût”.

Other food around I observed to be of a high standard in quality, quantity and presentation. The young petite waitresses were quick and attentive, service was speedy. Price and value was good for a quality beachfront restaurant.

The end of September and the rocky beach was deserted, out further a few brave surfers played on small waves. Through the long window the Mediterranean stretched across the horizon. Dark clouds and light squalls, showers under an interesting leaden sky. An occasional ship far out in the deep channel slowly passed.

I like it.

Reviewed 23 September 2014

Don't understand why it's mostly packed here. Ate here on 3 occasions, won't never come back here.
Completely overpriced Pizzaria, offering bad quality : black pizza, overcooked meat...
the last time I was here I complained that my pizza was black and got snapped at...

1  Thank WingWingOne
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I came back to this restaurant after two years. Following a brief wait and a kind waitress I was able to get a table on the terrace, as it was a very nice Sunday night. Then the nice things ended unfortunately.

The other waitress that followed seemed very tired and frankly not too kind. Did not confirm whether I wanted my fried cuttlefish together with the pizza or not... In the end, I was served both simultaneaously (no imagination) and I had to finish my pizza cold :(

It was my first night in Sausset so I learned that one had to explain almost all the basics to the waiters just in case.

This visit was filled with nostalgia but I truly wish that it was not spoiled by little things...