“How the mighty have fallen”

The Place to Eat John Lewis
Ranked #78 of 95 Restaurants in Cheadle
Cuisines: Cafe
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Visited for the first time in a few years.
Uninspiring selection of cakes, once you get a look in, as all customers are obliged to crowd around a single small table to self-serve. My tray-baked tart was underbaked and floury.
Coffee (Latte - again self-served, vending-style, once you've succeeded in finding a willing taller customer to reach the inaccessible cups for you) was lukewarm and weak.
Finding a clean table? Cleared my own, and ate amongst someone else's crumbs.
I was fortunate to have the use of a "free coffee and cake" voucher. Even for free, I wish I hadn't bothered.
Next time I'm tempted, I'll pop to Sainsbury's café next door instead.

2  Thank middleagedbloke315

Reviewed 29 March 2018

I have visited the café several times hoping to be impressed. It is clean and the food is nice. However slow service and overpriced food when I've just spent a lot of money in JL or Sainsburys is not what I'm looking for. I'd rather go home and make my own cup of tea followed by a Sainsburys cream cake lol. Nice place if you just want to meet a friend for coffee.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

Called in here for the first (and last) time today. Only vegetarian sandwich was cheese and chutney which I didn’t fancy. Thought I’d have a breakfast. Eggs were solid and rubbery, beans were poor, mushrooms were ok. Toast, no butter offered. Went to get a coffee. Slow slow service. Eventually got two americanos - only one lot of milk though. Just didn’t feel like asking for the other milk as had waited a long time to get the coffees. Queued to pay. Sat down. Meal stone cold and, as I said eggs were just awful. I can honestly say this is the worst breakfast I have ever had. So surprised, but now reading previous reviews, maybe I shouldn’t have been.

1  Thank Julie S
Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Popped in here as was shopping in John Lewis, three of us had lunch and a coffee, although not cheap (remember this is inside a high bed department store) and sandwiches were very small. Coffee was only from a machine so you get what you pay for, soup looked good and was popular, hot meals also available but didn’t see the options or the prices. Convenient place if you are shopping and want to take a break, but nothing special and could be a lot better, plus the queues do get rather busy around lunchtime!

Reviewed 14 March 2018

We go in regularly for coffee and a scone and have seen some changes there over the last few years. The last change included some steel frames in the seating area which serve no purpose, do not add anything to the ambience and are actually in the way. Have told management this but they don't listen or want to know.
Apart from that the food is quite good and varied and reasonably priced.