“Wonderful Local Diner...”

Stateline Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Greendale
Reviewed 11 September 2017

Childless for the weekend, my wife and I decided to head over to Friendship for the fall flea market. We woke early, prepared and left deciding to have breakfast somewhere along the way.

Getting closer to the Indiana line, I recalled the recommendation of a co-worker regarding a restaurant nearby. I mentioned this to my spouse and we agreed to abandon our plans to dine at a particular breakfast chain restaurant and pulled up the diner directions on our GPS and headed there.

There was some road construction that impeded our progress but we arrived quickly enough to a small, unassuming locale, that save for the sign out front I might have missed all together. When we entered, the restaurant was 85-90 percent full and it stayed that way during the duration of our visit.

From the lot, the restaurant appears to have been one of the many combination restaurants - garage - gas stations that once populated the country along the thoroughfares prior to the arrival of the interstates which decimated many of these family run businesses. While many of these wayside eateries have vanished, this one continues to endure.

The Diner is small, yet has a feel that is more “cozy” than claustrophobic. It’s also obvious the decor of the diner hasn’t been updated in some time. My better half described it as “unpretentious retro”.

Visiting the men’s restroom, some might say it was in desperate need of a remodel as well. I chuckled at the single light bulb in the 3 bulb fixture recalling a thrifty aunt from my youth who practiced that habit. Regardless, the restroom was clean, as was the restaurant and as I’m fond of telling friends, I eat at diners for the food, not the furnishings.

Being smallish, the servers have a complete view of the dining area from behind the counter which seemingly allowed them to anticipate our every need. My wife even jokingly commented after another refill “I can’t even put a dent in my coffee, she won’t let me.”

Another benefit to a smaller restaurant is our order was received quickly after ordering. My spouse had ordered the “Breakfast Special of eggs, hashbrowns, a generous portion of goetta and toast. I opted for the “Hungry Man’s Breakfast” which included eggs, homefries, sausage links and a “small” order of biscuits and gravy. The “small” biscuits and gravy took up an entire plate by itself. Our waitress just grinned and refilled our coffee cups when I queried her about the “small” order.

All of the food was exactly what I expected from a small family run diner out in the country; large portions, served fast and piping hot. My wife and I shared the “small” order of biscuits and gravy and still didn’t finish it. Frankly, I don’t recall the last time I didn’t finish a meal at a restaurant, but this was one of those times.
The diner is only open for breakfast and lunch closing at 2pm Monday through Saturday and until 3pm on Sunday. The menu is not extensive and is at heart, classic diner food. Essentially, my kind of place.

I found the prices on the menu unquestionably reasonable. I can’t recall the last time my wife and I dined for under $20. We enjoyed the old school atmosphere while listening to the other patrons discuss their generous food portions and plans for the day. If, like myself, you’re a devotee of diners, then check out the Stateline Restaurant. My wife and I have already decided to head back over later this month when our kids have a free weekend.

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

Our first time here, and it was such a friendly, cozy place. Everyone was extremely friendly. The food is so delicious! We ordered an assortment of breakfast items, and all was so tasty! Biscuits and jam - yum!! Got to try goetta for the first time; I think it's a local thing, but is interesting yet good! We love small family restaurants, and this is now one of my favorites. We'd be regulars if we lived close by!

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

State Line restaurant has been around for decades. It's one of them places that you take your kids, and when they grow up they take their kids. Always good food always friendly service.

Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

Wonderful food, service, and prices. What more can I say about this place. In our 3 day stay in Lawrenceburg we ate there twice. Went for lunch and enjoyed it so much went to breakfast the next morning. Guy F should check this out for his Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives television show.

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

We love to stop at this restaurant after staying at the Hollywood casino for some good home cooked breakfast. The waitresses are all super nice and the food is fresh and home cooked. It is a diner atmosphere and everyone feels like family.