1,043 results
All reviews the river new forest henry adams wing the pub car park lovely location main building full english steak master builder eggs benedict evening meal classic room short break luxury room bar area motor museum
Reviewed 25 September 2017

Pefect sunny day by the water decided to stop and have a meal with family. Wish we didn't bother. Staff seemed over helpful. Food was tepid, and was tasteless. It is the first time I have had fish and chips where I couldn't tell the type of fish. The facilities are tired and toilets definately need sorting out. Promises more than it delivers. Pity ideal location.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
6  Thank DianeS672
Reviewed 24 September 2017

Sadly, although I had been looking forward to staying here for a long time I was sorely disappointed. My heart sank as we drove in to the car park and I realised that there was a new annexe of hotel rooms at the back - I had not been aware of this as it was certainly not apparent from the front of the hotel. Onwards and upwards we checked in only to find our room had absolutely no view - only a grassy bank and it was very small, with only one chair next to the unit under the mirror. There was only two rugs either side of the bed, so no carpet and the furniture was made of a composite material like mdf - although it did look quite nice. The bed was good and a large kingsize, but there was no headboard, so sitting up in bed meant you slipped down the bed all the time!
Roman blinds were heavy and the net curtain (for modesty as the carpark was nearby) was held on by velcro so it was not possible to half draw the curtains. The room was quite dark - even with all the lights on. We tried to change rooms, but without success and I'm sure the rooms in the main building would be much better.
The bathroom was the smallest I have ever seen in such a highly rated hotel, the towel rail was difficult to access being so close to the toilet and the shower screen was so difficult to get around it was not possible to turn the shower on until you were in the bath! Meaning, of course, that you get that horrid cold blast before the hot comes through. There was, however, a very good grip rail and rubber mat in the bath, although there was no wand attachment and the pump on the shower made for an exceptionally forceful flow and there was no extractor fan.
There was a nespresso type coffee machine which is wholly environmentally unfriendly so not welcome and the kettle, which looked very pretty, was too big and cumbersome to negotiate the sink easily.
Our glasses were not cleared away but left half full on the side and the complementary bottle of elderflower alcohol was not welcome or necessary - particularly insensitive I thought for a person with an alcohol problem.
The menu in both the restaurant and bar were particularly unappealing, rump steak! why not sirloin or fillet and a lot of pork/bacon which is a no no for us. The breakfast was ok one day and horrid the next - not eating bacon, sausages or black pudding meant that we only had a fried egg, a mushroom and half a tomato on a plate - none of which was cooked nicely and we had to ask for the fried bread. No vegetarian sausages offered or extra mushrooms! Coffee however was good and plenty of it.
I first went to this hotel for a private luncheon over 30 years ago and had been so impressed, I'd been for a summer bbq and loved it and I even had a meal in the restaurant a year or so ago, so I was really looking forward to staying because it was such a beautiful building, but I shan't bother going there again. The location is lovely and the bbq in the summer is good, but that's about it.
Staff were all very helpful, friendly and efficient and everywhere was beautifully clean and well looked after but it certainly lacked that something special to make it worth a high rating.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
7  Thank GerbilQueen
Reviewed 21 September 2017

We've visited Bucklers Hard a number of times by boat and eaten in the pub restaurant. Our impression had been of variable food and service albeit a beautiful location and a great place to visit. We stayed at the hotel because we love the place and the weather was too bad to sail. We visited Beaulieu, Lymington and Keyhaven and did some blackberry picking. The room (6) was very good. They are in a "newly" built block separate from the old hotel and ours was comfortable and spacious. Good bed and bathroom. Clean and well furnished. The food and the service for the evening meal, and the breakfast, was excellent and exceeded our expectations. Excellent fish for the dinner. Wide choice at breakfast. Our only observation is that the common areas could have been cleaner. The hotel has a historic country house feel and shabby chic is fine provided it's clean. Some dusting needed. Otherwise all good and most enjoyable stay. We'll visit again, but probably by boat next time.

Room Tip: Check if the inclusive dinner option includes wine!
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

Room 11 two nights. Initial appearance of the rooms was amazing. I live the decor and furniture of the rooms. However after spending a little time in the room it became clear beauty is only skin deep. The bed mattress was very soft and despite the newness of the room, was already heavily worn and sloping away to both sides from a pronounced ridge in the middle - not comfortable for a single occupant. The toilet cistern seemed to only hold a litre of water and therefore did not flush successfully. Bizarrely in this newly done room there were no power points next to the bed so I had to ensure my phone was fully charged before going to bed. The infrastructure in that building is not great and conversation noise from adjoining rooms was intrusive at times.
Pub food was good, I didn't use the restaurant as it was outside of my company budget. Breakfast was very good with excellent cooked food.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank kross1709
Reviewed 19 September 2017

We had afternoon tea, with our two dogs - who were given their own, generous, meal: sausages and chicken.
Good, friendly, quick service. Delicious sandwiches, good selection of small cakes. Generous cream and jam. Only slight quibble was that the scones were a bit dry and tasteless.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family