All reviewsturtle conservationbaby turtlesan incredible experiencelow tidetea and coffeer rboat ridetentsnestinghatcheryreleasesandakanbedsvillagersrecyclingwashingmangroves
Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

We stayed here as part of our Gadventures tour. The accomodation was great, the beds in the tents were comfortable and the showers warm. The food was also really good and the staff helpful.
There is a big problem with plastic waste on the island which is caused by the sea continually washing up more plastic overnight. For me this was a really shocking thing to see. I think it would be good to involve the tourists in the clean up and provide bin bags so that they can choose to help as part of their time there. We did pick up some rubish whist there and found it rewarding but there was still tonnes on the beaches just round the corner.
Overall I recommend a visit to keep the turtle safe and congratulate the locals on their fantastic work!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank helen_1662
Reviewed 29 December 2017

I still remember the date I went to WALAI PENYU LIBARAN, it was on March,06 2017,Monday.

I love the place so much, very relaxing. Learnt many things about sea turtles and the place is very safe .

The first night we went out with the staffs just to see how the sea turtles laying their eggs, it was very fun and OMG!! I love the tents ,very clean and tidy.

All i can hear is the sound from wave which sounds like peaceful music to my ears.
Not to forget the sound of nature, especially the birds .
The food is very good, i really love it.
All i can say, it is an excellent place to relax away from city.
The beach is very clean. staff 100% friendly . I will definitely come back again with friends and family..

Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank I'celLa IsaBell... I
Reviewed 24 August 2017

I was a little apprehensive if I am honest, however when I arrived I was delighted. I felt very safe and the staff were so lovely, helpful and friendly. The accommodation was tented and very clean. Liberian Island is a beautiful place. The food was very nice but limited choice for vegetarians, although I was prepared for this prior to my visit. I have no complaints whatsoever. The showers and toilets are very near to the tents and there is male & female. Truly lovely place and I can't wait to visit again.

Room Tip: Basic accommodation Ie: tended but very clean and comfortable. A very beautiful place.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank ElizabethH2274
Reviewed 22 August 2017

I stayed on Libaran Island as part of a tour with My Holiday 2. They advertised the resort as 'tented camp' so I was a little dubious. However, the resort set up was very comfortable, the tents were very roomy with real furniture inside - 2 twin beds, table and wardrobe. There is no aircon but there is a fan and you can open up the tent and get beautiful sea breeze right off the ocean.
Libaran island was amazing and the local people that ran the turtle conservation were really friendly and passionate about what they were doing. It is not as popular as 'turtle' island but that is what is charming about it. You get a real desert island experience! We were so lucky and saw a mother turtle come to shore at 3am to lay eggs (the guide woke us up so we could see) and then we saw baby turtles hatch so got to release them back in to the ocean at night! Such an incredible experience and well worth the trip.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnnabelleS_78
Reviewed 19 August 2017

The overall experience at Walai Penyu was worth 4-stars, and while there were some issues (eg. having to wake the usually very enthusiastic chef to cook us breakfast in the morning), they didn't detract from my enjoyment.

We had a very relaxing 2-night stay here, the highlight of which occurred on our first night, when a Green Turtle came ashore to lay eggs at 3:30 in the morning. Our guide, Harun, was great. He answered all our questions knowledgeably, and chatted with us while we waited to release the baby turtles in the evening. You aren't guaranteed a sighting of a nesting turtle, but the whole experience is very private and relaxed - just a handful of people compared to the 40-odd vying for a view on Turtle Island. Also, while you can't enjoy reef snorkelling here, it's great to explore the unique mangrove environment, either by kayak or when the tide goes out, when fiddler crabs and mudskippers abound. When we arrived, I was very worried that the tents would be stinking hot in the night, but they were surprisingly cool and comfortable.

With a few extra small touches this would be a 5-star for me. I feel like there's potential for even more, a few things that could really set Libaran apart from Turtle Island: a guided walk to the village perhaps? A coconut drink upon arrival? We felt a tiny bit neglected as we were staying for 2 nights, but at the same time this was really relaxing. If you need constant activity then come for 1-night only, if you want a bit of r&r, then stay longer.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Meg M
Alexander0323, General Manager at Walai Penyu Libaran, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2017

Thank you Meg for your positive feed back.

When we first started the place, it was meant for sea turtle conservation only. Then, we were entrusted to create awareness of our work to the general public, thus the tent accommodation.

IT has been challenging for us and your positive feed back certainly help boost our confidence.

Thank you once again.