“Cool Spot, Great Views”
Review of Bali Surf Villa

Bali Surf Villa
Ranked #55 of 65 Speciality Lodging in Pecatu
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is a great little spot if you are a solo tourist, a group of friends, or an active young couple. It is clean and spacious, with awesome views out over the surf. For the area, it was a reasonable cost. I was also able to hire a yoga instructor to come right to the villa to do both yoga and meditation. I found the owner to be friendly and a good resource for active things to do in the area. Beautifully furnished, simple and airy.
It does have some steep stairs to get to it (everywhere does in this area) and I don't think it would be suitable for kids or for people looking to be fully pampered. I was happy to walk everywhere and do my own thing, so I quite enjoyed it.

Room Tip: Double rooms are more private
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank VaineMarite
There are newer reviews for Bali Surf Villa

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

This place is very bad value with awful accommodation, poor food, no service, dangerous access and very little in terms of surf lessons.There are much nicer alternative in the area, do not stay stay here even as a last resort, just avoid.

• Stayed: May 2014
8  Thank Ronan O
Reviewed 22 December 2013

When my boyfriend and I booked a few nights in this hotel, we didn't mind paying $100AUD a night when we read about it, but when we got there it was nothing like what it said. Firstly the stairs that we had to walk down were extremely dangerous and we were unaware of them when we booked, one of the employees met us at the top to carry our bags down but when we gave him a tip, he didn't even reply with a simple thank you, instead just walked off counting the money. Due to staying in the off season, we got a free upgrade to the pent house, but after being up there, we were surrounded by a swarm of wasps due to there being 3 huge wasp nests in the room. We were moved to another room and just like the pent house there was no safe, fridge, hot water, air conditioner, bottled water or soap/shampoo, there was stains on the linen, hair in the shower and a non flushing toilet. The fly net in the room did not close properly so we had to sleep with the balcony door closed leaving the room hot and stuffy. This room was infested with huge crabs the size of my palm. These rooms are far from being well-maintained. Rooms are nothing like the photos. They say there is a restaurant but it is just a basic kitchen with basic food which is over priced and not presented well. The staff are rude and arrogant and sit around on their phones/ipads all day when they can be maintaining the hotel. When walking up and down the stairs to the beach at night, there was only 1 night covered by the garden so you cannot see making it again very dangerous. The morning of the second day we decided to get our money back for the other nights but when explaining the problems to the staff they did not agree with the things wrong or were much help, but gave us number to call the owner but no way to call them (they let us borrow their phone the day before), late in the day we finally got on to the owner but we only received 50% of our money back as they said it was due to a "late cancellation fee", I did not agree with this as we only cancelled due to the terrible service, cleanliness and maintenance of the hotel. We understand that this is Bali and on the beach but we were paying $100AUD a night so we expect much better especially when we were paying $20AUD a night in hotels when they were much cleaner, welcoming staff and having the basics of fridges, soap and bottled water. You are only paying for the view and not the hotel when you ca stay in little places on the same beach for a 5th of the price! I have never complained about a hotel nor asked for my money back, but this place was disgusting and I do not want any one to experience what I did!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Emily B
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I made a trip through Indonesia and Bali Surf Villa should be the highlight of my trip! Therefor a booked a single room in the surf villa. I payed over 700€ for accommodation, free meals and drinks, as well as for the surf school.

They organized a taxi from Kuta to the surf villa. No words, that I had to pay for it. It costs a fortune. And on top of it, the driver just told me I have to follow this path and I will find the Villa! No chance, I walked for 50min the whole beach up and down to find the house. The "manager" Alex, who was suppose to expect me, was relaxing on the couch.

They have 3 Meals per day, precooked and just heated. To be honest, the food was ok. But if I wanted a second plate I always get a stupid word, meaning I had just paid for one person!

Also the owner and his manager live close by, and their friends came for dinner as well, being treated as they where the guests who pay. The original guests had to ask for their meals, while the others get there food served. Asking why, they sad, well you could have asked to have dinner. You know it will be ready between 5 and 6! No need that we tell you!

The surf lessons where also a total let down. I was a beginner and the guys from the surf school just brought us to a spot and took of and go for their waves. The instructors surfed for two hours and then they said, ok lesson over we drive you back!

The room wasn't that luxury either. Over 100€ per day for no air-con is way to expensive. Also the lamps in the sower and the dressing weren't working, you couldn't close your room from the inside. And when their friends came over there where drinking and shouting right at the bar in front of the room. Also in 5 days the bathroom got no cleaning and neither the blankets were changed. The house is still in work. They are attaching more rooms. So during the day you are on a construction building!

Because all of that I wanted to leave earlier and get a refund. I couldn't speak to anybody from the Surf Villa though, because there was no one there for 2 days beside a housemaid. I had to write an email. Without any word next day, new guests arrived. The Owner told me, yes they are getting your room. So I had to pack my stuff right away! But I was happy to leave!

The highlight was though, that I was promised I get a refund for the last 3 days. Nothing! The owner said, yes my manager will do it, he said no the owner. In the end they just ignore my mails! They mack around because of 250€

These guys are absolute impostor! Don't go there! O by the way, one good thing! The view is nice!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank A S
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We booked a surf camp package and the only good thing about it was one great surf instructor Kick (Impossibles surf school). This is NOT a "luxury villa". The rooms are extremely simple, no AC, cold water, no reading light, not even soap. There is no service provided, you have to ask about every single thing: toilet paper, towel, have your room clean, etc- things that should just happen. Food was a joke. Cold chicken for dinner, breakfast (if you lucky to even get one) is just a pancake slapped on a plate. No fruit, eggs, toast, juice, nothing. We quickly decided consider food a sunk cost, rented a scooter and arranged our own meals, even though it was included in the package, I could go on... The point is that this place is not cheap, and compared to the excellent service and food you get everywhere in Bali, this is just not good enough,

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple