Open today: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Review Highlights
Taiwanese cooking class at its best

We met Ivy at the market where she showed us a variety of cooking ingredients and it was clear from... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Eli P
via mobile
Highlight of Taiwan Trip

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
LJHabershon
Brisbane

Google
Recommended experiences in and around Shilin
from US$100.00
from US$140.00
from US$102.57
from US$133.00
More Info
All reviews market tour beef noodle soup taiwanese dishes xiao long bao great teacher pineapple cake learn how eggplant cooking techniques pot stickers delicious dishes soy sauce learned how highlight of our trip honored guests hints and tips excellent chef
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Ivy's class was one of the highlights of our holiday to Taiwan. Was a great mix of learning some new recipes but also getting to cook them in an authentic environment (Ivy's house). Ivy was great to spend a few hours with talking and learning. Would highly recommend.

1  Thank LJHabershon
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I recently had the pleasure of attending a traditional Taiwanese cooking class at Ivy's Kitchen and it was an absolutely amazing experience.

Ivy, the owner and instructor, was a wealth of knowledge when it came to traditional Taiwanese cuisine. She shared with us the history and cultural significance behind each dish we prepared, and her passion for teaching and sharing her heritage was evident in every class.

The cooking class was hands-on and interactive, which made it all the more enjoyable. We prepared a variety of dishes, including some of my personal favorites like dumplings and Black Sesame Tangyuan.

But the best part was definitely getting to sit down and enjoy the delicious meal we had prepared together at the end of class. The atmosphere at Ivy's Kitchen was warm and welcoming, and I left feeling like I had learned so much and had a truly authentic Taiwanese culinary experience.

I highly recommend Ivy's Kitchen to anyone looking to learn more about traditional Taiwanese cooking and culture. It's an experience you won't forget!

1  Thank Andrew-Gibson-2023
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I had a great time going through the process of making everything from scratch (Beef Noodle Soup, Red Bean and Sesame Xiao Long Bao, Pork Bao Zi, Gong Bao Chicken, Gua Bao, Caramel Pork, Pot Stickers). We really covered a lot of ground in a short amount of time and that is all thanks to Ivy's experience and resourcefulness. She is well-organized, which allows you to focus on the individual steps in each recipe without getting bogged down about finishing everything on time.

Ivy was patient and fun to work with and would recommend her services for anybody looking to replicate tasty homemade dishes (both savory and sweet). She is very versatile and can help guide you through any dish or dessert that you may have on your mind.

1  Thank bryansO8160ZK
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Excellent experience, one of the best cooking classes I’ve done. The original, and best, class in Taipei. Ivy is warm, friendly and very good at teaching you the hints and tips needed to make delicious dishes. Thanks Ivy, thoroughly enjoyed our time together

1  Thank Dave_Susannah
Reviewed 2 January 2023

Ivy's a great chef, a great teacher, and maybe most important of all she's one of those funny, engaging, charismatic people you just get a lot of energy being around. She's just fun to be around, and she'll fill your head with tons of awesome useful cooking knowledge and Taiwanese cultural and historical tidbits.

She's also very good at something great teachers have - modulating the content for different levels of students. In our group we had everyone from "devoted cook who spent some time working in a professional kitchen" to "the microwave is a terrifyingly complex piece of kitchen equipment and I prefer to do my cooking via Doordash". We all got something out of the class. In the case of the wannabe pro, it was a deep dive into the intricacies of variations of soy sauce and the differences between mainland Chinese, Taiwanese, and Japanese vinegars that led to copious notes and a new appreciation for soy sauce. For the rank amateur it was an appreciation of the joys of folding dough into a pineapple cake.

Note, I'm the wannabe pro, and I have to admit, when I saw the kung pao chicken and dumplings in her list, I thought "oh no this is some deadass simple tourist thing where she takes you through the Panda Express menu and calls it a day." I could not have been more wrong. She's flipped my entire viewpoint of how to work with soy sauce.

Some suggestions:
DO take the market tour, if it's your first time taking her class. It's fun, you get to see a lot, and the market itself you'll want to go back and visit, except after Ivy's taken you through it you'll know where the BEST coffee and BEST fruit sellers are.

DONT just have her take you through kung pao chicken or whatever basic American Chinese Food dish you've had a million times. Stretch! Learn something new! She's great at some very different items and you'll learn a ton about cooking and eating.

DO allocate plenty of time, and even more stomach space. You're not going to leave hungry, and you're going to have a fun time talking as much or more as you cook and eat.

Date of experience: December 2022