“Completely heartless!”

Stovepipe Wells Village Hotel
Reviewed 29 July 2017

My son and I were on a very long road trip from Canada, and we were leaving Death Valley on a VERY hot July day. The temp was 117f as we left Stovepipe wells toward the California coast. My son and I were traveling with our service dog, who helps my son with anxiety. The unthinkable disaster befalls us as on a very steep uphill 13 miles from stovepipe our car breaks down. We are in a NO SERVICE for cell phones area. Several people stop to ask if we need help, and finally we accept a lift back from a wonderful Dutch family. Once there we made the calls and prepared for a very long wait for a tow. We were directed to the hotel by the gas station people as an air conditioned place to wait. A really wonderful young lady with short black hair (I forgot her name) was very helpful and had NO problem letting us wait in the lobby. But then the manager (Phil I think) told us that he couldn't allow a dog to wait in the lobby and asked us to leave. I told him it was a service dog and he didn't seem to care. So I decided to leave my anxiety ridden son to catch a ride up the hill and see if i could get it started. Luckily with the help of a person who knew a bit about cars, and a ride up the hill with a French family, I got the car started and came back to the hotel to get my son. Before driving away I told the manager that it is against the law to refuse service to a person with a service animal, I shouldn't have to tell anyone that in 117degree heat you shouldn't refuse KINDNESS to a father and son in desperate need of help.
I have rarely been so DISGUSTED at a human being as I am in Phil.
If you have a choice don't stay there.
As a side note, all the people who gave us rides and stopped to offer help were from Europe. I asked two other people for a ride up to the car to at the very least get some things to make my son more comfortable, both American, and both said NO. Unbelievable lack of compassion. I don't care who you are or where you are from, its clear that in some places in this world some people are still taught and raised to be compassionate and kind. Some americans could learn a thing or two.

Room Tip: This place doesn't understand how to be compassionate
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Blair S
Mak K, Guest Relations Manager at Stovepipe Wells Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

Hello and thank you for sharing your experience. First, we’d like to express our sympathies for your travel misfortunes. It’s difficult enough to have vehicle issues without them compounded by severe heat and a remote locale. We are so pleased that you found assistance through fellow travelers and our experience at Stovepipe Wells Village has taught that kindness is irrespective of nationality. We are grateful to have your feedback regarding your treatment. Our staff members are dedicated to providing excellent guest service and it appears that a lack of communication transpired.
As a pet-friendly hotel, we welcome our four-legged guests, whether or not they are service animals, especially in circumstances such as you describe. However, if an animal or its owner presents any type of issue that impacts our staff or guests, we may ask for the guest to find an alternative arrangement.
Our management team will be apprised of your situation and it will be used to improve the guest experience for future visitors and guests. We wish you safe travels!

There are newer reviews for Stovepipe Wells Village Hotel

Reviewed 27 July 2017

Lovely hotel in the middle of Death Valley. The location is an absolute plus for this hotel - right in the middle of the desert. Fine rooms where you can park quite close to. Nice pool area that is nice when the temperature is well above 100 ° Fahrenheit - even in the evening. Beautiful starry sky. A good restaurant / bar in real saloon style.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Hello and thank you for your recent stay and feedback! As you mentioned, Stovepipe Wells Village is located in the heart of Death Valley National Park and a short drive to most the park’s most popular destinations, including the Mesquite Dunes and Mosaic Canyon. One of the most beautiful aspects of our hotel is to be viewed at night as you discovered. As a Dark Sky Designated area, breathtaking stellar displays can be seen right from your doorstep thanks to hotel’s safe but minimally lit surroundings. As you experienced, a dip in the pool and a refreshing cocktail in our Badwater Saloon provides a welcome respite from the 100 F evening temperatures. We hope that you return to Stovepipe Wells Village as part of your future adventures. Until then, safe travels!

Reviewed 20 July 2017

It was 127 degrees when we were in Death Valley. This place offered a respite from the heat, wonderful air conditioning, a great pool, coffee & cookies, and friendly help. The view from the place (across the road, looking towards the mountains) at sunset was magnificent. The room was comfortable--my daughter thought it was the best bathroom and shower in our entire trip. I wish we were going to stay longer. Close to the Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes and to Mosaic Canyon. The restaurant next door was surprisingly good. I loved the mushroom pasta. The store across the way was great--and there is local beer at very low prices! Gas prices are great, too. I hope to come back!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family

Hello and thank you for your recent stay and feedback- we definitely hope you return and that you can stay with us a bit longer next time!
I must share my complete agreement regarding Stovepipe’s fantastic AC. We experience weeks where temperatures exceed 120 daily so we know what hot is! Keeping our guests cool (and hydrated with complimentary refrigerated water bottles in the room!) and comfortable is one of our top priorities. You will find our commitment to comfort in our lodging accommodations extends across the hotel, as you discovered. We know that there’s nothing better than a delicious, freshly prepared meal after a long, hot day of explorations inside Death Valley National Park and there’s no better way to get back on the road than with the lowest fuel prices in the area. We look forward to serving you again when your adventures return you to this unique and beautiful landscape!

Reviewed 19 July 2017

The location is excelent to see the national park. The room is clean, but you have to go outside into a another house to dine. Aircontions is good but it was very noisy. The bar was good and the people was friendly.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple

Hello and thank you for your recent stay and feedback. We are happy that you were able to explore Death Valley National Park as our guest at Stovepipe Wells Village- you mention one of my favorite activities here, spending time in our Saloon, meeting international travelers and conversing with our friendly staff, everyone is an instant friend!
Our rustic, yet modern hotel accommodations are located in the heart of Death Valley National Park and offer a variety of guest amenities including on-site dining options, a well-stocked General Store and a Fuel Station, all within walking distance of our several stand-alone lodging buildings. We hope that you enjoyed your US travels and hope that your next visit will return you to Stovepipe Wells Village. Until then, Trygge reiser!

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

We came back as we enjoyed it last time and were not disappointed. Staff are great and if they cannot answer your questions about the onward route they will find out for you. Wi-Fi is free but limited and there is no phone signal. Pool is open late and is welcome in the heat. Restaurant is pricey but we prepared in advance with cold foods.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family

Hello and thank you for your return visit and feedback. As I am sure you noticed, we absolutely love it when our guests return for another visit. We are always proud to demonstrate our changes and improvements including the still limited, but improved wifi availabiity, as well as the addition of a cell tower that now offers availability to some carriers (we are so sorry yours was not among them!) Of course, we are always proud to demonstrate that one aspect that never changes is our commitment to our guests. We look forward to your next visit and another opportunity to provide you with an outstanding guest experience. Until then, safe travels!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Death Valley National Park
30.0 km away
The Ranch at Furnace Creek
The Ranch at Furnace Creek
#3 of 7 in Death Valley National Park

Been to Stovepipe Wells Village Hotel? Share your experiences!