Review Highlights
So much to see!

So many birds, alligators and fish. A great amount of beauty and wildlife in a small area... read more

Reviewed yesterday
Gina A
Dallas, Texas
Lots of wildlife

A must see if you like to view wildlife - alligators, turtles, fish, birds and a beautiful... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

from US$126.33
from US$39.20
from US$90.68
1,413 results
All reviews fish easy walk windshield wipers visitor center short walk dry season purple gallinules great blue heron nice boardwalk key west wading birds board walk amazing wildlife gumbo limbo different species parking lot park ranger
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 March 2021 via mobile

Wow, alligators and the most u inquest and beautiful birds. This is a boardwalk, dirt easy trail with marsh, mangroves, lily pads, and wildlife. We came in the morning and back at dusk. This trail is easily accessible to everyone of any fitness level, including moms with strollers. I highly recommend this trail. It is off of the Earnest Coe visitors center. Watch for buzzards which will attack your car. Tarps are in front of the center for your use while you hike.

Date of experience: March 2021
Reviewed 24 February 2021 via mobile

This trail was very easy and lots of wildlife to see along the way. I was really looking forward to seeing lots of alligators but, unfortunately, I only saw one baby alligator.

1  Thank erikac61483
Reviewed 19 February 2021

The Anhinga Trail is mostly a boardwalk loop over a watery section of the Everglades. The main attraction here is the wildlife, but it took patience and a keen eye to see anything, because so much of the wildlife is underwater. I managed to see several large turtles and many different kinds of fish and a few birds, but didn't spot the alligator that others on the trail saw.

Reviewed 11 February 2021 via mobile

We visited this area 7 years ago and couldn’t get over the amount of alligators there - freely swimming, sunning themselves, it was unbelievable. Re-visited and so sad it wasn’t the same. Apparently high water from recent hurricanes (or other factors) has led to less alligators - we didn’t see one. We did see a few turtles, fish and many birds.

1  Thank schiltgen
Reviewed 23 January 2021

***IMPORTANT UPDATE***
I went on this trail about 20 years ago in January, the dry season. To say the wildlife was abundant is an understatement. Birds and alligators were everywhere; I felt like I was in the middle of a nature documentary. It was truly spectacular.

I went back this week (Jan 2021) and I have to admit, I was disappointed. There were relatively few birds and alligators compared to what I saw 20 years ago, probably 80% less. The scenery is still breathtaking, but the wildlife was not. After talking with some locals I found out the culprit. Apparently, due to water restoration projects (as well as a strong rainy season), the water in the everglades is much deeper in the dry season than it used to be. A local told me that there was a project that was completed six months ago that caused significant deepening. Due to many water restoration projects on the horizon, the water levels will only continue to rise in the coming years.

The reason the birds and alligators were so abundant near the manmade trails in the past was because the area next to the trails had been been dug deeper than the surrounding area, so water was present there when other areas had dried up in the dry season. This lifegiving water supported fish for eating as well as water for drinking and cooling off. Thus, many of the park's birds and animals congregated near the trails in the dry season.

It is still very much worth visiting the park to see the wildlife that is still visible as well as view the beauty of this area.

This is a very good thing for those of us who love the Everglades. Unfortunately, the viewing of wildlife is much less spectacular. I observed this at Shark Valley, too. There were very few birds. I'm guessing there will be less birds around the trails because now the birds have the luxury of avoiding humans.

Date of experience: January 2021