“First time below the rim”
Review of South Kaibab Trail

South Kaibab Trail
Book In Advance
More Info
US$240.55*
and up
Grand Canyon Day Hike Tour from Sedona
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the two superhighways into the Canyon, the other being the Bright Angel Trail, this path runs along a ridge offering stunning views. During the summer, visitors are advised to bring at least two quarts of water along because it can get very hot and the trail offers no shade.
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

This was a gorgeous trail. It goes down for 7 miles to phantom ranch and Angel creek campground. It is all descent so be prepared for sore calves! Trekking poles help immensely. We had rain, snow and crazy gusts of wind, especially on the switchbacks, but it was worth it to hike this trail. There are a few pit/ compost toilets along the way that make good song points to refuel.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,435)
All reviews
in 16 reviews
"turn around"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

It is crowded but not as bad as the paved south rim trail. It took us actually longer to go down than hike back up because it was busy and because of all the stops to enjoy the views. The temperature was perfect (mid 60s) to not overheat.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We did the mega-trek from South Kaibab Trailhead down to the river and then up Bright Angel, and it only took us 8 hrs, 15 min. A few things to help put that in context:

My husband is very athletic and in great shape.
I go on the elliptical about 4 days a week and also play volleyball once a week. Other than that, I don’t exercise all that much. He found the hike to be not that hard, while I found it hard but very doable. I never had to push myself beyond my comfort level.

ALTITUDE WAS THE HARDEST PART. If you’re sensitive to altitude, as I am, take medication beforehand. I somehow failed to recognize that Grand Canyon is nearly 7,000 ft up before we arrived this morning, so I just took my time and rested whenever I felt lightheaded, which was only in the very last mile of the hike.

We brought water bladders rather than bottled, and they made all the difference. We stayed well hydrated throughout the entire hike, despite fairly warm weather at the bottom.

We also brought electrolyte-rich sports beans, lots of sweet and salty snacks, and some money to buy Arnold Palmers at the canteen at the bottom.

Overall, I’d highly recommend this hike. It’s beautiful and leaves you with a great sense of accomplishment.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

First off, don't go during the summer...115'F temps were a killer! Besides that, it was such an adventure to take this trail to Phantom Ranch.

1  Thank keturah627
See more reviews
Reviewed 30 March 2018

Skeleton point was a nice 3 hour hike round trip. Way down was a breeze and after a quick lunch at the point, with views of the river, we journeyed up. Although challenging it was a great 6 mile hike. Mules were fun to see! Heavy traffic when we went but the further you go the less people.

We parked at lot D which was a 45 minute journey to the trailhead with the bus system. Parking in lot A or B would have been ideal.