“Hunting Lodge Design, nice restaurant on the rim”

El Tovar Lodge Dining Room
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 27 March 2017

A friend told me to eat at El Tovar when I go to the Grand Canyon. I got reservations in advance by emailing xanterra. Folks staying at El Tovar can book reservations 6 months in advance. Everyone else can make reservations 30 days in advance.

The food was excellent and the servers were very attentive. Our server, Paul, described the evening specials and was able to answer any questions we had about anything on the menu.

1  Thank 15hopew
Write a ReviewReviews (4,957)

Reviewed 27 March 2017

While the atmosphere is great, I wish they'd take into consideration that most diners are tourists staying in a room with a tiny fridge. No need for leftovers. My husband’s steak was great - but he ate a little more than half. I ordered chicken and pasta, and it was two chicken breasts (which it did say on the menu). I'd suggest smaller portions and lower the prices a smidge. The desserts were fabulous though - and I loved how they had you stop to look at them on the way to your table.

1  Thank Karen K
Reviewed 27 March 2017 via mobile

The lunch at El Tovar was very disappointing. I ordered a Grilled Chicken Cordon Blue sandwich which came with a salad. The sandwich was dreadful; and the salad came with no dressing and the greens were wilted and bruised. I told my waiter that the salad wasn't fresh and his response was that there was nothing wrong with the salad, it was under the heat lamp was just little bit too long. Then later on he came back and said the greens shouldn't be bruised, but he offered no amendments.

1  Thank George R
Reviewed 26 March 2017

We were visiting Grand Canyon for a special occasion and wanted one "fine dining" meal. If you are not staying at El Tovar Lodge, you can get a reservation here by calling 30 days in advance. Reservations are necessary. I called 30 days out and was glad I did. The service was excellent, the food was excellent. Older, dark dining room but full of history. Interesting variety of desserts. Overall, a great experience.

1  Thank DAEsmae
Reviewed 26 March 2017 via mobile

During our first night at the El Tovar I made reservations in advance for the dining room. The hostess station personnel weren't very friendly, but our server was wonderful. The atmosphere is warm and cozy and had artwork of the Native American tribes that live/d there. The food was good and cooked to order. The presentation was beautiful. This is the only "fine" dining at the park. We also ate breakfast at the El Tovar and the food and service were wonderful.

1  Thank Lola2012