“Very Good Guapote”
Review of Los Cocos Comedor

Los Cocos Comedor
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 8 April 2017

Came as 2 couples on our first visit to Ometepe. Las Cocos was recommended where we kayaked in the morning, so we came for lunch looking for fish, and preferably the local guapote since the pescado frito in Nicaragua is usually pargo (red snapper). We got 2 guapote, each about 2.5 pounds, and this was more than we needed. They were huge and cooked just right. Anyone who visits Nicaragua without trying the fried fish in the Tipitapa style (just means it comes with a tomato-based sauce on the side) is making a mistake. We live in Nicaragua most of the time, and to us this is the only "local" food that we would ever crave. A large fish, with cuts in it for easy removal of chunks of meat, and then fried. It's really good, even if like me you're not someone who normally orders fish (although I like seafood). Be sure to dig out the meat from the cheeks! And ask for both the garlic sauce and Tipitapa sauce on the side. They even gave us 2 extra plates with all the sides, although cutting the fish in half would have been sacrilegious - each couple just picked chunks off of their monster fish.

Reviewed 1 April 2017 via mobile

I stayed there for 10 days after moving from another place that was not as nice. The rooms are good sized with a shower and toilet in the room for $15 per night. The 2nd floor rooms were $20. Looked at most of the hostels within a mile and found none nicer for the price. The first night I ordered a fish taco and it was burnt. The next couple nights I had tilapia and chicken that were both OK. Then I ordered a chicken taco and you guessed it. It was charred. When I complained the owner tried to tell me that it was just burnt on the ends but it was burnt all the way through. I never are there again. There was a good place next door called Bahia Verde were everything was cooked but still moist and tasty. I would stay here again but would eat next door or up the hill at The Arte Cafe where the food was cheaper and delicious.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 March 2017 via mobile

Great food, great service. The prices are cheaper than the more touristic places on playa santo domingo. Any of the grilled meats has always been excellent on our many visits. The juices are also fresh with only limited amount of sugar added (to the opposite of many other places)

Reviewed 2 March 2017 via mobile

The food was extremely delicious and the portions are very large. Service was very attentive and I highly recommend this establishment

Reviewed 18 February 2017 via mobile

Not much English spoken here but menu is in English and perfect for me trying to practise my Spanish!