All reviews swim up bar rarotongan resort upstairs room cook islands direct beach access huge bed room servicing private beach tour desk seafood platter sister hotel marine reserve beachfront room paddle boards our honeymoon island style tropical breakfast
Reviewed 27 July 2018

We came here for four nights after staying with a local friend for a few nights. Great place to relax and unwind. Service has been great. Read reviews around service etc and was a bit worried before coming but that quickly disappeared when we arrived. Friendly, accommodating the staff popped us into our ocean front suite which was modest and clean with a balcony overlooking the most spectacular lagoon. Water sport equipment was available easily collect from reception, all gear in good condition. Paddle boards, kayaks and clear plastic ones so you can enjoy the reef. Food was great, very reasonably priced and tasty. Really really happy with the resort. Would recommend for a no kids holiday. We have travelled extensively and first time to Raro. Compared to Fiji, which I have been over 7 times I wouldn’t go back to Fiji after visiting Raro.

1  Thank QueenbeeP
Management response:Responded 28 July 2018

Kia Orana,
Thank you for your kind review.
I am delighted to hear you loved your holiday at our adults-only resort, and would happily consider a return visit. That our staff were welcoming and friendly, and the meals were tasty and reasonably priced, is a pleasure to hear also.
Complimentary water sports equipment is available from our Activities Hut, to explore the Aroa Lagoon Marine Sanctuary directly in front of the resort. There is abundant tropical fish and turtles sometimes visit, and we are renowned for having the best all-tide snorkeling on the island just metres from the guest rooms.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Rarotonga, and wish you all the best for 2018. Please feel free to contact me directly for the best available return guest rates for your next stay.
Kia Manuia,

Reviewed 23 July 2018 via mobile

We stayed here as a suprise birthday for my partner. We have previously stayed in Pacific resort which don't get me wrong is gorgeousness...and the Edgewater which is cheap good value. But for what we love which is beachfront with a pool...this hit the spot both in comfort, food, facilities and value....We loved our week here!!
We chartered a fishing trip and the awesome chef took all of our fish and created some delicious dishes for us which made our dinner for 2 nights!
We will be back.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dynamicchick
Management response:Responded 25 July 2018

Kia Orana,
Thank you for your kind review.
I am delighted to hear you found our resort to be the best value in Rarotonga and that you loved our absolute beachfront location, directly on the Aroa Lagoon Marine Reserve.
It is also pleasing to hear the meals were good value and you especially enjoyed your delicious ‘You Catch We Cook’ menu which is available to guests to benefit from the spoils of their hard-won battle with the local game fish on one of the local fishing charters.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Rarotonga.
Kia manuia, and all the best to you and the family for the rest of 2018.

Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

If you want to enjoy a great holiday in Rarotonga, I wouldn’t stay here. We were really looking forward to our trip away and returning to this hotel. Our experience last visit was great BUT how things have changed. We have just returned from a ten night stay at this Hotel and won’t be returning. From the moment we arrived alarm bells went off, once we got into our room after an hour wait so they could fix the electronic key pad. The rooms are a good size and great views but need a good clean, they have a damp smell - especially the bed side draws. Don’t get me started about behind the bed. Toilet leaked and bathrooms need a good wash and scrub. Bed sheets don’t get changed, shower was never wash, takes 24hours for someone to remove the room serve tray.
Staff don’t seem to really want to be there, staff numbers are down, reception staff unfriendly, bar staff are overwhelmed and don’t get the support from reception staff when busy- expect to wait. Advised of leaks in room - no one bother to show up, staff don’t follow up, still waiting to see the manager or someone after a number of issues. Still waiting but wasn’t surprised as the place has really gone down hill.... just seems no one cares and that must come from management.
Over all a very disappointing experience and stay in paradise but paradise isn’t the Sanctuary Rarotongan.

Management response:Responded 14 July 2018

Kia Orana,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I am pleased to hear you felt your guest suite was a good size, and I hope you enjoyed the view over the Aroa Lagoon Marine Sanctuary.
I apologise that your electronic door-entry card was not working upon your arrival, which was attended to as soon as possible by our maintenance team.
I have shared your comments with our staff, and will incorporate your feedback into our ongoing training programme.
The resort has a Duty Manager available from 7am-10pm who would have been more than happy to address any issues during your stay, and I would have also welcomed the opportunity to meet with you personally. Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to share more detailed feedback.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 6 July 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for 11 days. Each and every room has a view of the lagoon, we where on the upper floor which I felt gets a slightly better view . Breakfast was included, but nothing to write home about, just local fruit and cereals . We had a meal at the restaurant which we found to be overpriced, much better options around the island. Housekeeping is a bit hit and miss, one day our room didn’t get done until late evening. Don’t get me wrong the staff are very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed our stay, but for what we paid I expected more.

1  Thank tess1166
Management response:Responded 10 July 2018

Kia Orana Tess,
Thank you for your review.
I am pleased to hear you found the Resort staff friendly and helpful, and you enjoyed the views from your Beachfront Suite.
Our complimentary continental tropical buffet includes seasonal fresh island fruits, fresh fruit salad, home-stewed fruits, Bircher muesli, homemade yoghurt, fresh-baked breads, pastries, muffins & croissants, cereals, toast, spreads, fruit juices, tea & coffee. Other hot breakfast options are available from our a la carte menu.
Our meals and drink prices are in line with what you pay at other similar outlets around the island, which are more like Australia and New Zealand than Bali or Thailand, and cheaper than Fiji. Please note that as we are a small tropical island in the middle of the South Pacific, apart from some locally grown fruit and vegetables, we need to import many items.
We have shared your comments about housekeeping service with the Manager concerned and are in the process of recruiting additional staff for the upcoming high season.
Kia Manuia,

Reviewed 25 June 2018

We took an upper floor beachfront room. Fantastic views across the beautiful private beach and over the lagoon to the outer reef. Close enough that we could hear the surf, but not so close it was annoying or interfering. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and well appointed, with a great balcony to enjoy the view, but appear a bit tired. We had no issues at all, but heard several other guests mentioning dripping showers, leaks, non-closing doors etc.
The pool area is great.
Two things would improve this venue to somewhere I would highly recommend even in its current state.
NON-SMOKING should be just that. No good providing ashtrays in non-smoking rooms, or having smokers below or beside your room. Drifting smoke around the pool was terrible...
RESTAURANT. Advertised as Blue Water Grill, should have had its own menu for a more discerning clientele. Not a limited selection of what you get from the Hi-De-Hi Rarotongan next door. You book Sanctuary and pay a premium for just that purpose. Blue Water Grill is NOT a restaurant, it IS a dining room with a sand floor and sinking chairs.
A really small attention to some tiny basics would make this venue SO MUCH BETTER.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floor for the best views.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick F
Management response:Responded 30 June 2018

Kia Orana Nick
Thank you for your review.
I am delighted to hear that you personally had no issues at all, and enjoyed your spacious and comfortable Beachfront Suite, with amazing view over the lagoon. It is also great that you enjoyed the adults-only pool with the ever-popular swim-up bar.
During the day guests have an all-day poolside menu featuring popular items from our sister resort next door. However, the evening menu at the Blue Water Grill is specific to our adults-only resort and is based on a shared-plates concept with a mixture of small bites, and larger platters. The sand floor is very popular with guests who enjoy the beach ambiance.
All our guest rooms, and the restaurant and bar, are non-smoking. I would have been delighted to address your concerns about other guests smoking in areas that smoking is not allowed. Guests are allowed to smoke outside of their guest room, and outside of the bar and restaurant.
Kia Manuia, and all the best for 2018.