“Amazing and relaxing stay”

Hawksbill by Rex Resorts
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 September 2017

When we first arrived we were welcomed with sparkling wine. We were initially disappointed with our room on seagrass beach and we asked if we could pay to upgrade to the refurbished rooms on Royal Palm beach. The reception staff were incredibly helpful and they let us view the room first. The bathroom was lovely and spacious and we didn't regret spending the extra money on the upgrade. The food was wonderful throughout our Stay, with local cuisine like green banana soup. We certainly found something every night to eat and the quality was great. The drinks were excellent quality and the wine was very nice. The staff went the extra mile to help you, Dave and Jesse are a true credit to the resort. We enjoyed our evening chats with Dave and we loved his cocktails . The hotel manager, John was happy to resolve any minor problems and we had a lovely chat with him at the Monday night welcome cocktail party. You cannot beat the location of this resort! The beaches are amazing, and what a lovely experience to be able to eat lunch looking out over the wonderful beach. I would recommend this resort.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
gm_hbaanu, General Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

The Hawksbill by rex resorts team would like to thank you for sharing your vacation experience on trip advisor.
Your very positive comments of Hawksbill are rewarding to hear and we are pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed the friendliness and efficiency of our service team; the beachfront club room; the quality and selection of our food & beverage and the overall ambience.
The true Caribbean experience in a a secluded and relaxing atmosphere.
Will pass on your praises to David and Jesse who are true assets to the Hawksbill team.
Thank you once again for the feedback and we certainly look forward to welcoming you once again in the near future.

Hawksbill by rex resort

Reviewed 6 September 2017

This is probably one of the hardest reviews I have ever written. We have just had a great stay at Hawksbill with its amazing beaches and quiet charm but it is true to say the resort could be so much more. I'm not being harsh when I say the place could benefit from a little TLC but if you are in the right mind set the 'shabby chic' has a certain charm. We were kindly upgraded to their newly refurbished beach bungalows which are large and a hop,skip and a jump from the beach and sea. They have good air con and are clean but you would be stretching it to call them luxury. They are tended to every day and kept very clean indeed.
The staff are very helpful and the friendly atmosphere purveys the resort. Food is plentiful and on the whole good. Drinks are as you would expect heavily rum based but a very good selection of alternatives exist and the draft beer is good (they need to handle the change over of the two bars better).Breakfast and evening meals are served in the top dining area which is spacious the lunch area near the beach does suffer from a large number of flies that really do hinder the dining experience there.
A large negative was the lack of water sports, they are available at the Halcyon resort but you need to fund your own transport there. I don't think it's too much to ask for a kayak or two particularly when it was advertised in the brochure
All in all we had a great trip and would like to thank the staff for their hospitality and kindness As I write this review Antigua is being ravaged by hurricane Irma and I would like to offer my best wishes to the people we met and the other islanders and I hope everyone is safe and well and the island recovers soon from this epic storm..

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
7  Thank HolidaysCornwallUK

We are pleased that you were satisfied with our comfy bungalow type accommodations only a few steps from the beach; our food & beverage selection and the genuinely friendliness and efficiency of our service team.
We re pleased to mention that our water sports outlet is back in full operation as of today, Sept. 25th.
Your mentioned concerns in regards to the changing over of bars and the flies are noted. The past fly plaque is no longer an issue
Thank you once again for the feedback and certainly hope to see you again on a return trip to Hawksbill in the near future.

Reviewed 3 September 2017

Perfect week! My husband and I took our first trip alone in many years together and had an amazing week! Our room was absolutely perfect, the food was delicious, and the beach was perfect! The food was fresh with a selection of choices throughout the week. I loved the yogurt. the nice waitress even took the time to find out the brand of the yogurt. It is from an Antigua dairy, so I doubt I will find it at home, but it was very nice of them to take the time to find out!
To my surprise, I loved the nude beach. However, it was a slow season and only a few people were on the nude beach. I am not sure if I would have been as comfortable if the beach was crowded.
The resort is an older resort, but it is clean with fresh food and a great beach!!! If you are a beach lover like I am , this is the resort for you. I also liked how quiet it is there-great place to relax. There is no nightly entertainment.
My only disappointment of the week, was the week we were there, there was some rain and cloudy days. I wanted to see the sunset over the water, but it did not happen! All of the locals told us that that weather was not typical. Also, not sure if it is cicadas or crickets that make lots of noise at night. I got used to it after a couple of days.
I would love to go again and I will be back to the Hawksbill!

Room Tip: ask for a room by the nude beach
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Sunsetbaby418

We are delighted that you enjoyed our bungalow type accommodations, our four beaches, our tasty cuisine and the genuinely friendliness and efficiency of our service team.
Hawksbill's secluded and peaceful location allows one to easily relax and rejuvenate in the warm Caribbean sunshine. A great 'trip' indeed.
Thank you again for the feedback and we certainly look forward to your return visit in the near future for another memorable experience.

Reviewed 1 September 2017

My honeymoon was amazing my self and husband had a great fun exciting night my 4 th trip to Antigua and the best one I love the food the beach the bartender was amazing he the chef was kind the waitress was working none stop well organized and run

Room Tip: A tv would be nice
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
4  Thank Twills33
gm_hbaanu, General Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

We are delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed spending your honeymoon with us, our food, the overall ambience of the Resort and the genuinely friendliness of our service team.
Please consider a return visit in the near future, allowing us another opportunity of making your vacation once again memorable.

Sincerely

Reviewed 15 August 2017

The physical location is perfect and fits with the quiet atmosphere of the hotel; it is unique in the island by having four separate beaches and the hills behind the hotel are forested so you have none of the usual hotel/city clutter experienced in other resort areas in the Caribbean. There were a few problems with flies that had us shooing off flies from landing on plates and glasses - a by-product of open air restaurant zones; there were also three persistent cats, the kitten even jumping onto our seats in an effort to be fed - I believe they have been collected for adoption by a shelter? There was an odd incident where a yardman walked through the beach restaurant with a gas powered leaf blower cleaning under tables which was not only an assault on the ears but the nose - surely he could sweep areas when guests are present? The heavy chlorination meant that there was an advisory against drinking water from the taps, but if we wanted water we had to pay $3.50 US a bottle - surely the hotel could provide at least one large bottle of water free per day per room? There were real gems amongst the staff - bartenders Millie and David, and server Jesse in particular. I would have loved more local foods each night rather than just one Antigua night. In a 7 night stay there were only 2 nights of music entertainment with dinner, but the Halcyon steel band was excellent. Get used to Antigua time - breakfast starts at 7:30, but the egg-cooking station was rarely ready before 8; likewise lunch at the beach - it was regularly half an hour after opening before the grill was ready to serve. Most of these are minor complaints - we were on the first beach and the snorkelling here was superb over a healthy reef. The rooms are great and the bathroom was huge with separate tub and shower and even a bidet. If you are in search of a quiet holiday then Hawksbill is for you - it really is a hotel from yesteryear with no loud music, roaring watercraft, persistent beach vendors, and noisy drunks. Rumour has it that they are also moving to adults only, so the children will disappear too. It is certainly a hotel that gets repeat clients - almost all of the couples we met were returnees... I suspect we will return soon too!

Room Tip: Honeymoon Cove and Seagrape beach villas give best view and beach access
10  Thank Bruggadung
gm_hbaanu, General Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2017

The Hawksbill by rex resorts team would like to thank you for sharing your vacation experience /review on trip advisor.
We are pleased that your overall experience at Hawksbill was satisfactory and have taken note of your particular concerns such as the flies, cats, leaf blower, meals starting on time, more local food etc.
Unfortunately, at this particular time of the year, there are usually more flies than normal. However, at present, I am happy to report that both restaurants (main & beach restaurants) have the latest electronic fly trapping/catching devices (two per rest.) and they seem to be quite working well so far.
Two of the cats which were usually in the dining area were taken away from the Resort by the animal shelter.
Any amount of water by the glass can be given, however the bottled water is sold at a nominal fee of $3.
In regards, to having more local food available, by this Thursday and ongoing, we will introduce a local dish for lunch at Sea Grapes.
Your praises for Milli, David and Jesse are greatly appreciated and will be shared with them and the team.

Thank you again for the feedback and we certainly look forward to your return visit in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. John's
22.5 km away
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philips

Been to Hawksbill by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!