Please be aware that there is a noticeable difference between the Renaissance Ocean Suites and the Renaissance Marina. My boyfriend and I just got back from a week at the Ocean Suites. We did an exchange through Interval International and thought we were getting a stay on the Marina side, but were placed in the Ocean Suites side.
The Ocean Suites are older while the Marina side is trendy, chic and updated. However, the Marina side has a small pool and lacks any beach onsite even the man-made one available at the Ocean Suites, which has a nicer pool area. **More about the private island below*** The pool on the Ocean Suites side even stayed open until 11PM, which was nice for a night swim. If you want to use a gym, it is on the Marina side NOT the Ocean Side, but was modern and nice. The internet is also available for purchase inside the gym, but was pricey. WI-FI is available in the common areas of each location of the hotel.
We were given a room on the first floor of the Ocean Suites, just outside of the lobby. The room had no view and small patio with chairs that were stained with bird poop. The bedroom was tiny with flat pillows and no room for your luggage. The bathroom was in dire need of an update (very dingy shower). On the upside, the room did have a kitchenette with a microwave, burner, and two small fridges and a sink. The maid service was also attentive in providing extra towels and toiletries.
Despite the room issues, we were determined to give the hotel a shot. We took the boat to the private island on several occasions, which was nice. Be sure to check out both sides on the private island, given one side has flamingos and one doesn't. Also note, you can get towels on the island, no need to take the pool towels over there. If you want a float, you will have to pay $5 though, so order it earlier in the day if you want it longer. One annoyance about the boat service, is that you are supposed to bring a card key for each person to swipe to get on the boat, which they didn't tell us. This practice was annoying especially since one day we were over at the Marina side and were going to have to walk all the way back to the Ocean side to get the other key.... It didn't seem to be as big of a deal with some of the drivers on the Ocean Suites dock. Lastly, if you plan to ride back to the resort in the afternoon, be prepared to deal with some hotel guests that try to compete to get on the boats during the busy times...
Overall, the staff at the hotel was pretty friendly and helpful. However, we did have another annoyance with the fact that the concierge was rarely at the desk. Anytime you want to make reservations for tours, restaurants, etc. you should probably do it early in the day or really whenever you see her at the desk. When she was at the desk she was very friendly and helpful, but we had to learn the hard way that you can't get help regarding dinner plans or suggestions later in the day and the desk staff didn't really have as much info on these type of things.
TIP: This hotel is very close to the Renaissance Market with several restaurants and bars. The hotel gives you a coupon book upon checkin. Don't lose it! Use the coupons at the restaurants to get value if you plan to eat there anyways. Best bets are Casa Tua and Hung Paradise. There were also coupons for the Sea Port Casino next door and the Crystal Casino on the Marina side.
TIP: This hotel is very close to other restaurants in the Orjantestad area. You really don't need a car. You can walk to Yemanja, Barefoot, Pinchos, Que Pasa and many more. If you want to visit more distant locations like Eagle Beach (Low Rise area) or Palm Beach (High Rise area), just take the bus. The station is approximately 10-15 minute walk from the hotel and you can go pretty much anywhere. Get a roundtrip ticket to save 30 cents per way :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the newly renovated Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino, we Live Life to Discover. Here in the heart of Oranjestad, you will find yourself in the middle of the excitement, and our entire staff is ready to inspire you. You don't have to go far to experience the real Caribbean, it's right outside your door. Our luxury hotel in Aruba offers a perfect location steps from Oranjestad's vibrant modern downtown boutiques, giving you endless opportunities to indulge your inner shopaholic. Get the thrill of a hand of poker in one of our two casinos, enjoy one of our RLifeLIVE events and revel in the Aruban culture in a way you can only experience from the heart of the city. The resort offers two distinct experiences, the hip and lively adult-exclusive Renaissance Marina Hotel and the Renaissance Ocean Suites, a sophisticated one-bedroom suite accommodation. Both provide exclusive access to a special discovery, Renaissance Island, with Aruba's only private beaches and a truly tropical experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Marriott, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance Aruba Resort And Casino
- Renaissance Aruba Hotel Oranjestad
- Renaissance Hotel Aruba
- Renaissance Oranjestad
- Oranjestad Renaissance
- Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino Oranjestad