“Meh- resting on its laurels”
Review of Madame Janette

Madame Janette
Price range: US$9 - US$49
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Madame Janettes is a must for first timers. Ah- here's the rub.......we are far from first timers. I feel this place has gone down hill. We were 2 couples who had reserved from home prior to the trip- a 7;30PM reservation on a weeknight. Confirmed by the concierge when we arrived to Aruba. The place was a zoo- no place to sit, and wall to wall people. Madame Janette- get a grip and do not make so many reservations for the same time. Tell us 'sorry, we have too many 7:30's , please come at 8'. We were given those 'timer thingees' that go off when your table is ready. Really? Were we at a TGIF or a Chile's in the states? Finally we were seated right near the singer. She was loud and her voice was annoying. We did not change tables because we were hungry. I miss those adorable servers from Holland who came to Aruba to learn the business. They would chat with you. This year's server, whose name will remain unsaid, was not very attentive and was often MIA. I could have grown my own grapes, pressed them and had my wine by the time he brought it to us. I gave this place 3 out 5 stars because the food is still good- although it took forever to get. I was very disappointed that my favorite the lobster ravioli, was taken off the menu. The pork schnitzel continues to be good as does the steak. Our friend had the surf and turf with steak, shrimp and lobster and was underwhelmed. The sides, especially the potatoes, continue to be good. So in summary, a first timer should eat here, we are not so I do not think the Madame will see us again anytime soon unless they get their act together.

1  Thank NewYorkelena
Write a ReviewReviews (6,447)

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Wow, I hate to sound like Hillary, but, What happened to Madame Jeanettes?
645 PM and empty tables everywhere! Looked for our favorite in the way of appetizers, the lobster ravioli, and no where to be found. Very disappointing. Ordered the Lobster Termidor and it was terrific, even though the portion couldn't feed a small child, but the price was really quite an eye opener! I can say the same about the potatoes au gratin. Portion control is out of control here. Potatoes? Really? you can fill the room with potatoes for 5 bucks! Had the Milanese Scnitzel (check all spelling please) and it was quite dry. Although my wife had the Cordon Bleu Schnitzel and it was fantastic! All in all a bit surprised as MJ'S
is always a must when were in Aruba. Usually twice! Perhaps a new chef ? Don't know but I wont give up yet. W'ell be back next year and I hope the old chef is as well.
(if that's the issue)

1  Thank Joe H
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We decided to have dinner as everyone recommended it ... it was nice night out. We had a nice table. Food was fine. Average and very large servings. It’s very fun and bustling place. The seafood adobo was very very good.

1  Thank catherinek07
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Had a fantastic meal here. The MJ Asian Sea Bass was outstanding. Very lively crowd and the guitar player was so good, sweet and fun!! Portions are huge so come hungry. Eddie was our server and he was wonderful. Reservations are a must. Get them before you even get to Aruba. That’s how high in demand this restaurant is. Loved the outdoor setting and the twinkling lights made it magical.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

One of my favorite restaurants in Aruba. The atmosphere is so inviting and laid back and the food is phenomenal. The cocktails were made to perfection and the staff was on point. The almond grouper and almond shrimp were amazing. Planning on returning to Aruba and this place is on the top of my list!!!