“Cycle rental ”
Review of Elbow Beach Cycles

Elbow Beach Cycles
More attraction details
Owner description: Make Bermuda yours! Experience the best of our island paradise: secluded beaches, wonderful wildlife and amazing adventures around every bend. Pick your moped, scooter or ebike from Bermuda's newest rental fleet.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Kevin was very friendly and helpful, and it was a pleasure to ride around the island over the weekend.

Mrs T, Customer Service Team at Elbow Beach Cycles, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Good Day,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a your review. Kevin will be delighted to hear that he has been of help and that his service has been appreciated. Thank you once again for your kind comments and we look forward to seeing you back again soon.

Warmest regards,

in 6 reviews
"great person"
"safety lesson"
in 2 reviews
"i can't say enough about how"
"excellent instruction"
"great instructor"
"spent minutes"
"mrs thomas"

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I phoned ahead from home in the U.S about a single scooter rental. I talked all 3, or 4 times with Kevin Thomas.
When I arrived on the island, without pre-booking, I talked again with him to arrange a pick-up the next day from my address. He tried to sell me more rental days than I had proposed. The pick-up by his mechanic the next morning was timely and smooth. The driver was friendly and correct.
I am a novice. I probably needed at least an hour practice to get on the road. It was not mentioned that the shop would evaluate your skills and could refuse service.
When I got there, there was a group of teens, like 6 or 7 of them, getting coached by Kevin. He was getting a little frustrated, yelling out calling names as in don't do this so and so, etc. I waited on the side for more than 20 minutes for my turn. There were 3 people working there, Kevin, the mechanic who picked me up, and another older guy in work clothes.
During the wait, I took the opportunity to look around. I noticed almost all the scooters on the lot, hundreds of them, were not in good shape, e.g. the back tires I could see from standing behind were almost bald. When the kids were practicing, the brakes squealed very loudly. There was a slope exiting the lot, which you need to accelerate up to go out.
While waiting, I sat on one or two of the scooters to see how I felt. Kevin probably did not like that, but did not say so. I had the impression that Kevin could work up an attitude with people and can get impolite, part of his job if you have to train people.
Finally, it came to my turn. Before I rode off, I said to him that the brakes are squeaky on some of the bikes, and the throttle seemed loose. He had no reply, but simply said followed me up the slope to the upper parking lot. After 2 minutes, we were back down to the main lot.
He then yelled at me to say: Why were you not following me, but instead rode next to me? I was a novice. I did not get the time to practice a bit first. Then, he got on my scooter and rode it to the far side of the lot and parked it. He yelled out I am not renting it to you.
My take is that he was mad I complained about the scooter. Before I started, he told one of the young girls in the group not to sit on or lean on the scooter by saying to her: I am not saying anything about your weight, just that it could tip.
At this time, I did not know how to get home and got really concerned.
The main issues are: Understandably, if practice is needed, you may not ride off the lot right off. This was not stated in websites, brochure. It should suggest some places where people can practice a bit first.
The reviews here go from Elbow Beach Cycles being excellent to it being terrible. Why?
I ended up renting from Oleander, which has a policy that if you don't like the scooter they gave you, you could always swap it out. This happened while I was with its driver delivering scooters. A man and a girl picked up a Oleander scooter, tried it and came back right away to say the brakes are sticky. The driver happened to have an identical bike, an extra, in the truck and the man liked that better. He had a choice. It is in the policy. Later, I came to know that Oleander replaced a portion of the fleet yearly. So it states it has the newest fleet on the island.
At Elbow Beach, Kevin did not like people saying his scooters are not up to par. He took my payment over the phone already before I saw his rentals. I should have decided that, even as a inexperienced rider, I did not like the bikes and did not want to rent from him. A good business should ask and let the customer decide whether to take the rental or not, or pick me you like. He might have newer bikes, or better training episodes some days, but it was a bad day for him or that were what's left that day.
I had not the excellent hospitality other people stated here, quite the contrary. For one thing, look closely at the tires tread before you rent it. Test the brakes! The road could be slippery.
I rented one from Oleander for a few days and got okay with it. The delivery driver took me to a place I could ride for 45 minutes. He was polite about it.
Don't meet Kevin Thomas!!!!!!!!!!!! Any relation to Mrs T? Don't be fooled by the slick website and the 10% off prepaid. Why pay for something you have not seen?

Mrs T, Customer Service Team at Elbow Beach Cycles, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Good Day sc00t22,

Thank you for your response. We are so sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your experience. We would like to assure you that this is not in keeping with our level of service and the issues raised shall be addressed by our team. If you would like to contact the owner Mrs T at your earliest convenience she will personally address your concerns.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 5 January 2018 via mobile

Loved this place. They provided a lot of serious but good natured training for a novice rider. I relied on all the information I was given time and time again. “Don’t rush, don’t worry about those behind you, let people pass if they think you are too slow, stay in the center of your lane, relax and smile”.
It’s not easy to be a new rider even at 35km. No Bermudian natives really drive that slow! The roads are curvy, slippery when wet and there are lots of hills. That being said, I never got honked at or passed up by a road raged driver and many times people gave me room knowing I was a beginner.
Very personal service at Elbow Beach. They will come and pick you up if you call ahead to reserve and scooter.

Mrs T, Customer Service Team at Elbow Beach Cycles, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2018

Good Day Vicki H

The team are delighted that you were pleased with your rental. We at Elbow Beach Cycles always try to offer our customers the most outstanding service and go that extra mile to ensure your visit to Bermuda is as safe and stress free and enjoyable as possible.

We thank you once again for your kind feedback and look forward to seeing you back again soon.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 11 December 2017 via mobile

Kevin was absolutely wonderful after we had a rough start. I am an inexperienced scooter driver and had never driven a with a passenger. I got a little rattled when we figured out my partner was not quite ready to ride solo and she would be riding with me. I made some really dumb mistakes on the test ride. Kevin calmed me down and didn't give up on me. He even got her comfortable as passenger before she got on the bike with me. After a few laps around the property, we decided to hit the road, and Kevin rode down the road a bit with us. We pulled off at a scenic overlook where he snapped a few photos of us, and wished us well. We had a great, safe time and will definitely be back to see Kevin on our next trip to Bermuda!

Mrs T, Customer Service Team at Elbow Beach Cycles, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2017

Good Day Jason M

Kevin and the team are delighted that you were so pleased with your rental. We at Elbow Beach Cycles always try to make our customers feel like family and offer the most outstanding service by going that extra mile to ensure your visit to Bermuda is as enjoyable, stress free and safe as possible.

We thank you once again for your kind feedback and advice to other visitors to our wonderful island. We look forward to seeing you back again soon.

Kindest regards,