All reviews small hotel mango bay sister hotel other guests pebbles beach packed lunch met some lovely people all inclusive hotel rum store lovely little hotel courtyard area superior poolside minute walk superior garden room cool bag meal times buffet style
Reviewed 16 February 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights. A nice quiet Hotel.Had a room looking out over the garden. Good sized room and bathroom with comfortable beds. Rooms badly need a upgrade.
Nice balcony to sit out and relax.
Food was excellent and most times served by waitress .
Beach a minutes walk were you could pay for deck chairs and umbrella.
Staff polite and friendly.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank sunloverSussex
Reviewed 16 February 2018

Just got home this morning from a week's break at the wonderful Island Inn Hotel. Not going to write loads as everyone before me has outlined this well treasured find so well! What I will say is is it is a hidden gem. It's personal, friendly, clean and exceptionally well run. Other guests had returned year after year which says it all.
We had a Superior Poolside room which I think was well worth the little bit extra...some days we had the pool area to ourselves! Room was spacious with contemporary fittings and a bathroom you could have had a party in!
Food was excellent, with a la carte most evenings and lunchtime with a generous buffet breakfast each morning.
The bar was stocked with branded drinks, I don't know how many bottles of Courvoisier I saw replaced on the shelf. Banks beer on draught, Absolute vodka, Tanqueray gin to name but a few and a cocktail list as long as your arm! Red, white and rose wine was nice just don't ask for a large wine glass as it could be deemed as against the rules!! Ha Ha!
All in all this place is excellent value for money with first class service from first class staff.
Worth mentioning it's worth getting up early to see the race horses bathing in the sea and a little tip, we saw them around 8 a.m last Sunday as they always go later on a Sunday. Beach is fantastic with turtles swimming freely. Go to the sister hotel Mango Bay one day, you can obtain a day pass at reception and you get lunch and drinks all day.... it's well worth the trek and experience on the local bus over to Holtown.
Last but not least, don't forget to pack plenty of good insect repellant and a tube of bite cream as even I got bit and they usually stay away from me!
Thanks everyone at Island Inn for looking after us so well, Rob and Donna x

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
10  Thank robmanners63
Reviewed 15 February 2018

Stayed between 30/11/2017 and 14/12/2017, flight with Virgin very good, passed through Grantley Adams airport without fuss arrived to a rainy Barbados which I believe is usual for Independence Day, opted for a private transfer this went smoothly. Met at the airport by Virgin rep, given a chilled bottle of water which was a nice touch.
Check in at the hotel was smooth, as there were only four people checking in at the time, was allocated room 4, this is at the side of the hotel and a shared walkway is your terrace. We did not find this a problem as it was not a main thoroughfare except for those staying in these rooms and used by some early morning staff. I had requested a fridge prior to arrival (rooms do not have a fridge as standard) as I needed to store medication. The fridge was placed in the room on arrival albeit in an awkward position, with a little rearrangement it was less intrusive in the room. This room does have a sealed up connecting door to room 5 (this room is massive) it was possible to hear if there was music being played next door. Overall the room was basic had a decent size wardrobe, a shower , good sized bed which was 2 large singles together reasonably comfortable, air conditioning was good. Toiletries provided by the hotel consist of body wash, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and a bar of soap these were replenished as they were used. You can drink the tap water and we had no adverse effect from this, the bar will fill any bottle you provide with chilled water for your room if you wish. Overall room characterful, bathroom needs a bit of an upgrade.
We arrived in time for the evening meal we were ushered into a small side room that had been set up as a dining room as work was being carried out on the external patio to replace flooring; it was rather basic although the air con was welcome to some. The food was mostly very good, occasional buffet but mainly a personal service and good choice from a menu. If there was nothing on the menu that you liked they would make an omelette or a sandwich for you but I found there to be a reasonable choice and the food was served by hardworking excellent staff shout out to, Angela,Jeanette apologies if I cannot remember your name you were all fantastic. Thanks to the bar staff Dana, Earl and Hasani. Julia the chef you were great. You could have white, rose or red wine with your meal, chilled water was also offered and they were happy to get you anything from the bar if you so required. Service when busy was sometimes a bit slow but you are on holiday, I preferred sitting outside facing the lovely courtyard. This is a 24 room hotel and you will meet or pass all of the fellow guests everyone saying good morning or evening it has a lovely ambience. Previous reviewers have said that this is quiet relaxing hotel and they are correct if you want night life you would need to go off site. The manager Thora has a cocktail party every Wednesday (leading the dancing) and you have low key entertainment on two other evenings, which suited us. There is nothing here for small children and the hotel was mainly occupied by couples with occasional guests attending various conferences that the hotel was having for different companies.
You are a short stroll from Pebbles beach and if you go early morning you will be able to see the horses from the Garrison bathing in the sea. This is a wonderful beach with a beautiful outlook, if you wish to hire 2 sunbeds and an umbrella you will pay $20 US or $40 Bajan, we did not ask about hiring any from the hotel and we were not offered any. If you don’t mind getting wet going under the pier at the Radisson you can walk the full length of the beach into Bridgetown, it takes about 25 minutes at a strolling pace. Taxi prices were variable we asked the hotel to call for cabs on 2 occasions and the price quoted by the hotel increased by $5 bajan on both occasions, you were able to use the local buses for $2 bajan. Our car hire company booked via internet let us down at the last moment and Sharon on reception arranged car hire with Coconut Car Hire, they turned up at the agreed times and the vehicle was in a reasonable condition with the exception of exterior bumps and scratches all were photographed by them and us had no issue, would have been nice if they had guided us regarding the amount of fuel we would need they certainly made on that transaction. All staff were friendly and helpful, one day when we returned from the beach the housekeeping supervisor said that we would need clean beach towels, she promptly returned to where we were in the courtyard with fresh towels to exchange them, excellent service.
The pool area is tiny and surrounded by rooms, the pool itself is freezing and we only tried the water once and gave up as the sea was much warmer and less likely to stop your heart. The courtyard area is a lovely place to sit at any time of the night or day; it catches the sun and also a lovely breeze when there is one. The only place to obtain WiFi is in reception or at the bar which is very close to reception, be warned you may be coated in repellent but it is likely that you may get bitten. I found when speaking to other guests those who had been sitting at the bar or reception area had obtained a lot of bites, we used skin so soft with citronella and I managed to keep my bites down to a minimum.
We utilised the option to spend the day at the sister hotel in Holetown, Mango Bay. You have to pay for your own transfer or utilise the public transport you arrange this through reception at the Island Inn 24 hours in advance, you will need to say what time you want your lunch. On the day we went it was sunshine and showers in Holetown but the weather was mostly good at the Island Inn. I have to say that that whilst we only had a snapshot of the Mango Bay I was a little disappointed, our meal booking was for 1.30pm we were finally seated at 2.10pm and our first course served at 2.40 the food was lacklustre we were the last out of the restaurant priority appeared to be given to the guests who were staying there which I can appreciate but as potential guests it did not serve them well.
All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the island Inn and would highly recommend it, as an all-inclusive we were more than happy with the food and drink offer for the price. With the variety of food on offer I do not feel that we have lost out on experiencing a wider range at external restaurants, in the area that this hotel is located we did not see many restaurants to eat at anyway.
You are within a short stroll of the Garrison and we were lucky enough to be able to attend the horse racing which was most enjoyable. Overall we found our location to be very good for strolling to Bridgetown, The Garrison, George Washington House and the museum(didn't enjoy the museum personal opinion it's a waste of money).
This is a lovely 3 star hotel where the staff will do their utmost to serve you well. You are close to the beach and local bus stops. This was our first trip to Barbados, Island Inn and it won’t be our last. Better wifi and comfier beds I would have been tempted to give it 5 stars.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms appear noisy, shared walkway rooms 1-5.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
8  Thank gayhar
Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

So you are reading the reviews of Island Inn which means I assume you have done the leg work and know this isn’t a soul-less high rise with balconies, sun beds and bingo. If that’s what you want not only is the wrong hotel but quite possibly the wrong country too ...check out here !!
Okay, so now we know what it isn’t what is the Island Inn? Well it’s quaint, friendly, personal, (it’s almost a family) small - just 24 rooms. It’s all inclusive but not in the traditional sense. It’s fine dining, it’s not on the beach but it’s 2 mins TO the most fabulous Pebbles beach where you can swim with Turtles, not pay the “Turtle Man “ to take you on a Catamaran just walk into the sea and swim with endangered turtles nigh on every day. It’s a place where if you get up early enough you can go and see race horses from the local yards swimming in the sea. Island Inn is a place where you can stand and talk about you day with Thora the hotel manager, share a giggle with Julia the chef and challenge Hasani & Dane the barmen to cocktail wars and watch them get competitive to freehand the best one! It’s a place where everyone smiles but it’s a tight call between Sharon and Ricia who smiles the most. This is not a place where you can be miserable, everyone is happy and it rubs off besides you simply have nothing to moan about. It’s a place where people talk people interact but if you want to be private that’s respected (but really don’t be shy talk to people)
The rooms are lovely with hairdryers, safes, iron, gorgeous powerful showers and luxurious complimentary toiletries. What more do you need?
Food is fabulous, we never struggled for a choice and they are very accommodating.
The lovely ladies on reception will assist with just about anything you could need from restaurant bookings, car bookings etc they are just wonderful you just need to ask nicely.

Important things to know -

20 mins walk along the beach to Bridgetown average pace
30-40 mins along beach to Hastings
Bus stop at top of road to B. Town or Oistins along coast $2 Bbd per person per journey
Pebbles Beach 2 mins go, go lots !

Enjoy :)

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Sally18273
Reviewed 5 February 2018

We have just returned after a 14 night stay in this delightful quaint quirky hotel. There is something that grabs you about the place you can walk round the site in less than two minutes but within that time you cannot take in what the place is about. First of all it would not suit families with children there are no facilities and besides the clientele are discerning couples who are enjoying a winter break in warm friendly surroundings who adore great tasty food and spend their time chatting to other gusts of a similar ilk. many of the gusts are repeaters and at one stage when we were there it was 100% full such is the cult following that the hotel enjoys.
The rooms well we were lucky enough to have a large garden room there are only 24 rooms but ours room 7 is about halfway along facing the courtyard. very comfortable clean and well appointed being a 3 star hotel tea/coffee iron (who does ironing on holiday?) nice TV radio alarm ice bucket (shame no fridge) in room safe plenty of cupboard space we had at least 3 chairs as well comfortable gigantic bed lots of lights but overall they are not bright so I left my reading for the day time. Bath room large OK bath tub shower razor point hairdryer bath beach and facial towels all provided and changed when required. You have to remember this hotel is in the Garrison area of Barbados and was once the Rum store so it is a preservation area and when judging the room its décor you must take this into consideration.
The bar is located by the hotel entrance and is staffed by very friendly operatives the drinks are all good quality in fact last week the Gordons Gin changed to Tanquery so no problems there. I enjoy Banks beer and like other establishments I have been lucky enough to stay in Barbados it is not as chilled as it should be bottled Banks from the freezer is better so perhaps management could consider this. Great Cocktails mixed though. and a lovely courtyard to sit and enjoy them
I really loved the restaurant especially the seats located outside the conference room along the wall these had great character I didn't particularly like the seating in the Gazebo section or when one night it was wet and they were inside but hey this is only an opinion. The food though well what can I say 14 days 14 different Lunch menus 14 different dinner menus well done!!! Fantastic combinations of well prepared tasty food sometimes buffet sometimes Al La Carte but all served with a smile. I have read reviews that say the food is repetitive they obviously stayed somewhere else !!! Great quality food we had chicken Rotis last Friday totally full of chicken they were great. Breakfast no show cooking but eggs prepared to order so no worries (best poached eggs anywhere.)
Entertainment three times a week Managers Cocktail party Wednesday night which is followed by a disco Saturday there is a band and on a Monday evening a single guy plays for a couple of hours.
In short what makes this hotel is the friendly staff along with the no problem relaxed attitude and the fine dining I have already booked my 2019 winter break there.
The pool is small and cold but there is one it is a shame there is not a better area for sunbeds however we did manage a couple of hours under a parasol most mornings before swimming in the sea and indulging in the bar. The beach is over the non busy road next to the Radisson there are sun beds there but I object to paying £18 for the use of two beds and a parasol especially when it rains or I only use them for a couple of hours over £200 for a two week holiday. It is a pity the Hotel do not do a deal with the beach chair people but there you are they are there if you want them. Pebbles beach is great watch the race horses bathe 0630 ish Carlisle Bay fantastic white sand beach Bridgetown 20 minute walk or 5 minutes in an number 11 van !! How many people can you get in an number 11 ?
Race course 300 yards away racing every other Saturday
Oh yes forgot about the monkeys they arrive most mornings between 0645 -0715 the crash on the room roof tells of their arrival,

Well I have said enough I will not compare the Island Inn to any where else I have stayed in Barbados except to say it is different in a delightful way.
Electrical points are flat pin US style so take adaptors (two for £1 in Poundland)

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple