The Royal Westmoreland isn't the easiest to find, but then again most places in Barbados aren't easy to find. Then again getting lost isn't a problem as the locals are helpful and the drivers are courteous.
We rented a private villa in Forrest Hills, near the clubhouse and pools. The villa was wonderfully appointed, well provided and located. There were a few teething problems with directions, instructions and arrangements but this was down to to the property agent rather than Royal Westmoreland. When you take account of the accommodation and the facilities at Royal Westmoreland, the villas are fabulous value, even if you don't play golf, which I don't. The gym, pool, security and on site restaurants are very good. Those not acquainted with Golf club etiquette may balk at some of the dress codes, but it does add a sense of occasion to the place, and lets face it, how many times have we seen someone whom we wished had the grace to cover themselves up in public?
Royal Westmoreland is a quick drive down into Holetown, which although becoming a bit of a tourist trap, still has some kicking Bajan restaurants, shops and bars. The chat with the locals is alway fabulous. Surfside is the tops for flying fish sandwiches and there is an amazing fish market 10 minutes north in Weston. The Mullins beach restaurant and spa isn't worth the trip. Get down to Oistins any night for good chat and fresh fish and sometimes live music.
Finally I've got to mention the wildlife which excited my unfortunately unwell son. Green monkeys, lizards, mongeese and the biggest toads you have ever seen are abundant, along with the odd premiership footballer fresh from an early world cup exit!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Royal Westmoreland is an exclusive Barbados estate and country club, a gated community of luxury homes and holiday villas with exceptional facilities, including the world-class Royal Westmoreland championship 18 hole golf course. Spread across 750 acres of lush tropical landscape in the Parish of St James overlooking the Platinum coast, Royal Westmoreland offers the ultimate Caribbean lifestyle, for a holiday or for a lifetime. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Royal Westmoreland Hotel Saint James
- Royal Westmoreland Saint James
- Royal Westmoreland Barbados/Saint James Parish